Adventure and Travel

Cederberg: A Mountain Oasis

Words and Pictures by Rae Trew-Browne

· By Bike Hub Features · 25 comments

If you haven’t already been, the Cederberg is an incredible mountain oasis with a ton of activities from gravel and mountain biking to wine tasting, hiking, and there is even a Brewery that uses the fresh mountain water in the area to brew their beer.

H6.jpg

This feature is made possible by Isuzu, I was lucky enough to take their D-Max 250 X-Rider 4×2 double cab out for the weekend.

Whenever I can I try to get out to the Cederberg for a weekend of cycling and relaxing. The roads can get quite rough in and out so when I had the opportunity to test the Isuzu X-Rider there was only one place I was going to go. 

CH6.jpg

CH3.jpgThe Isuzu D-Max 250 X-Rider 4×2 is a turbocharged 2.5lt diesel engine that produces a claimed 100kw and 320Nm of torque, plenty for what I needed to tackle getting in and out of the Cederberg. 

H10.jpg

Where to stay?

There are plenty of great places to stay in the Cederberg like Jamaka, Mount Ceder, and the Sanddrif Resort but hands-down my favourite is the Cederberg Oasis. It’s a no-frills no-fuss kind of place with a wide range of sleeping options and amazing food that is well priced, Jacques really knows what he is doing in the kitchen. The Oasis is also great for backpacking missions because you don’t need to carry food or sleeping gear. 

H12.jpg

CH8.jpg

The routes

The Cederberg Circuit is quite a popular route that takes in a loop of the whole Cederberg area. It’s around 250km and you go through or past the towns of Op Die Berg, Citrusdal and Clanwilliam. If you are looking to base yourself in the Cederberg, though, there are plenty of great routes that you can ride. There are even some dedicated MTB routes in the heart of the Cederberg that have some incredible views. A permit can be bought for R50 at the Dwarsrivier Shop at the Cederberg Wines tasting room. There are maps available as well but I have included some route options via the two links at the end of this article. You can download the GPX and upload it to your GPS device.

For the gravel and MTB loop, a stop at Nieuw Brewery in Kromrivier is a must, their beers are also available at the shop at Jamaka. On the MTB route, a visit to the Wolfberg Cracks is also something not to be missed. It truly is a natural wonder and walking through the cracks is pretty special. 

Download GPX files: Gravel Loop Route – MTB Loop Route

H20.jpg

H19.jpg

The environment
Winter can get very cold and very wet so it’s best to go before winter hits in July. Summer can hit temperatures of 40 degrees plus so Spring and Autumn are the best times to go.

If hiking is something that interests you, there are some challenging but very rewarding routes all over the Cederberg. The short walk to the Wolfberg Arch is a popular one that can be done in a few hours.

For more strenuous routes, the hike up to the top of Sneeuberg is tough but the views from the top are breath-taking (excuse the pun). Another great hike is the Tafelberg summit, which can also include an overnight stay in the cave just below the summit. Tafelberg round trip is around 16km (8km up, and 8km down). There isn’t much water up at the cave so you will need to carry all the water you might need for the two days and for making supper in the cave. 

With roughly a 3h30 drive from Cape Town, the Cederberg is the perfect weekend getaway to get out of the city and into nature.

H14.jpg

A look at the Isuzu X-Rider

CH1.jpg
The D-Max is a full reworking of the legendary KB series of bakkies. The durability and reliability remain but the new badge brings with it new tech and upgraded engine specifications.

CH5.jpg
Isuzu’s new D-Teq engines feature high-pressure, common-rail fuel-injected systems with advanced turbochargers with intercooling. This has increased the power and reliability of the new engine range, which also has a 3.0 diesel and a 3.6lt v6 petrol derivative.

CH9.jpgWith a ground clearance of 225 mm there was no road or track in the Cederberg that I couldn’t get through comfortably. The X-Rider also has a 600 mm wade depth so tackling those river crossings will be a breeze.

I had the 4×2 version but even on the steep technical section towards Kromrivier the engine had plenty of torque in a low rev range to prevent the rear wheels from losing traction. If you are tackling more hardcore off-route tracks then the 4×4 version has low and high range which will get you through even the toughest of 4×4 tracks. 

CH7.jpgOn the open road if you drive with a light foot the X-Rider purrs along well without getting very thirsty.

Ready for your own adventure? 
Explore more with the D-Max 250 X-Rider. Click here to find out more

CV1.jpg

Tags: ,

Related posts

Comments

Hilton.

May 26, 2021, 6:47 AM

Beautiful area and pics. The bakkie advertorial is a bit strong for the BikeHub tho :P

The Cederberg is still on my to-cycle list, but I've stayed and hiked there in the past.

I'd like more close ups of the bike, pleez

RudoJ

May 26, 2021, 7:12 AM

Excellent article...

Matt

May 26, 2021, 9:14 AM

2 hours ago, Hilton. said:

Beautiful area and pics. The bakkie advertorial is a bit strong for the BikeHub tho :P

The Cederberg is still on my to-cycle list, but I've stayed and hiked there in the past.

I'd like more close ups of the bike, pleez

Noted the feedback, thanks.

Sponsors like Isuzu see cyclists and Bike Hub in particular as an important community. Their support goes a long way to help ensuring Bike Hub remains online and can grow. 

We do our best to balance the bike relevance and provide value even with sponsored content. Will see what we can do about some more bike shots ????

Shebeen

May 26, 2021, 9:28 AM

10 minutes ago, Matt said:

Noted the feedback, thanks.

Sponsors like Isuzu see cyclists and Bike Hub in particular as an important community. Their support goes a long way to help ensuring Bike Hub remains online and can grow. 

We do our best to balance the bike relevance and provide value even with sponsored content. Will see what we can do about some more bike shots ????

Mazda drifter marathon series, Nissan Xterra, Toyota Cadence supercycling, Subaru Sani2C, Mercedes Benz UCI world cup, Volvo Cannondale MTB team, Landrover technical terrain Cape Epic...the list goes on - I am more than happy to see car sponsorships in cycling, its obviously a market to be in, and has been for a while

Shebeen

May 26, 2021, 9:29 AM

Also, how can you mention Cederberg Oasis and not talk about them ribs?

The Ouzo

May 26, 2021, 9:33 AM

1 minute ago, Shebeen said:

Mazda drifter marathon series, Nissan Xterra, Toyota Cadence supercycling, Subaru Sani2C, Mercedes Benz UCI world cup, Volvo Cannondale MTB team, Landrover technical terrain Cape Epic...the list goes on - I am more than happy to see car sponsorships in cycling, its obviously a market to be in, and has been for a while

Agreed, but Matt & co need to be very careful and not turn the articles into car reviews. A fine balance I know, but when the argument is that this is a cycling website and thus chit chat topics are not important one can use the same argument for the car reviews.

I get that it pays the bills, just try and keep it subtle please.

Kuys

May 26, 2021, 12:19 PM

Im pretty sure they dont have the V6 petrol engine anymore for quite a few years. Also the current range is not that "new" and is due to be replaced with the new generation. Australia (and other countries) already has the new generation, which will only land here later this year or 2022 as they are in process of changing the local factory to built the new generation. 

MORNE

May 26, 2021, 6:33 PM

is it me or does everyone and their dog have a Curve gravel bike now...

it's becoming thae spaz epic of gravelbiking lol

Robbie Stewart

May 27, 2021, 7:44 AM

I am fortunate enough to drive one of these fine bakkies in 4x4 guise and I can confirm that its a powerful brute of a bakkie with go-anywhere tendencies both on- and off-road. It swallows a 29'er full suspension comfortably in the back with only needing to remove the front wheel to close the canopy. Fuel usage averages out at about 10km / liter and 9.9 l/km over the last 3000 odd km's. I manage easy weekends away with my wife and kid including all their paraphernalia as well as my bike and kit without needing a bike rack and no extra packing in the cab required. All in all my Isuzu is a very comfortable and practical vehicle and I would not be exchanging it for a SUV or car again.

When I got mine it was a demo that was detuned by the dealer to protect the engine and upon receipt of the vehicle they remapped the chip from Isuzu Japan with the new D-Max setup. The normal bakkie delivers 100kw with about ~85kw on the rear wheels after drivetrain power loss. Mine delivers 102kw on the rear wheels. 

Wayne pudding Mol

May 27, 2021, 7:49 AM

13 hours ago, MORNE said:

is it me or does everyone and their dog have a Curve gravel bike now...

it's becoming thae spaz epic of gravelbiking lol

That’s not nice Morne - my feelings are really hurt by the Spaz comparison 

now I have to sell my bike

MORNE

May 27, 2021, 8:46 AM

59 minutes ago, Wayne pudding Mol said:

I thought yours was a calculus? my bad then.

also, you're welcome...enjoy the build????

NickGM

May 27, 2021, 8:50 AM

59 minutes ago, Wayne pudding Mol said:

Dibs

Eddy Gordo

May 27, 2021, 8:53 AM

1 hour ago, Robbie Stewart said:

I am fortunate enough to drive one of these fine bakkies in 4x4 guise and I can confirm that its a powerful brute of a bakkie with go-anywhere tendencies both on- and off-road. It swallows a 29'er full suspension comfortably in the back with only needing to remove the front wheel to close the canopy. Fuel usage averages out at about 10km / liter and 9.9 l/km over the last 3000 odd km's. I manage easy weekends away with my wife and kid including all their paraphernalia as well as my bike and kit without needing a bike rack and no extra packing in the cab required. All in all my Isuzu is a very comfortable and practical vehicle and I would not be exchanging it for a SUV or car again.

When I got mine it was a demo that was detuned by the dealer to protect the engine and upon receipt of the vehicle they remapped the chip from Isuzu Japan with the new D-Max setup. The normal bakkie delivers 100kw with about ~85kw on the rear wheels after drivetrain power loss. Mine delivers 102kw on the rear wheels. 

I fit my whole bike diagonally in the back without removing the wheel. Try turning the wheel to face backwards and see if it fits.

Robbie Stewart

May 27, 2021, 9:09 AM

23 minutes ago, Eddy Gordo said:

I fit my whole bike diagonally in the back without removing the wheel. Try turning the wheel to face backwards and see if it fits.

I was watching a guy push his fully assembled bike into his Hilux last weekend. I was very tickled by that but I do not seem to be able to. Either my cab is shorter than his, or he rides 650b, or I'm just piss poor at geometry...(most likely the latter).

I'll give it another go. I'm very intrigued now.

nevermind...you learn something new everyday...like how dof you can really be.

Thanks for enlightening me. Super stoked now.

HBNVfVM3CULVYA2EeOS0oesiIIPMDfcxygkENPRuikpx9V0coDL6TirSfDO5J9pphyfVslwQSGmNsMeM32bbwpI6dTyY3JE65KlbWwYasX7M2HM5LbFtTuyVnl30xq_BY3M4heJqGotMJC51XkF1fpSkxRbIkrlmhHWBZUpSAd-R8BwOIuCRwb-F_bYS00TKC5hkoONT1QojUJyWUKSFoX9fGkmWbC6fUMwtPbaRS8-GvDYaOkc8txAM8trvVNpCKgmAujI2Scxde_tOCQwwMp2n-SAANfZ2oj80df9JsGNvmm2EMbvCQt-gU2lmDNTMjG_5Jww3okocarIPYpgOmclwElkEZBbNcBCKzkI7xvQ7sEJ5g3eNMCeBlGV29OIJS-cVwGM9HX6EbsoeXn8yFcZYjnMM1Gvhh5PvavHlZd2pDm4zJaB_N9ahgMku1V7YDAF9S3f6Pym4VNv9V6b_5r0MeFvytC2X4BUcHtbX5OjuDiKynTJ10bhPsGHNd0vUj8pmE_ejxDjNEGypUMaFQuoOOf2gW0X8JsOYuVN14MxkA24RXsCroi8WaSvZBQ9RZahnj5tKCwWTBO7d9ChRqS5lleY_C7rfvomChuwW7jllR3N83K28XGf4LdPXu_NxltPN46F5VbJhkHh4AspS_tPraJxI68J7CRfTIoLlEhAsUQp21ArPoFR9YXjSHwuKKr0oTgufCBNHSyvSgORinsm3=w1318-h741-no?authuser=0

Wayne pudding Mol

May 27, 2021, 8:14 PM

11 hours ago, MORNE said:

I thought yours was a calculus? my bad then.

also, you're welcome...enjoy the build????

The new epic 

2CA8187E-F418-4520-8B43-0AA2F7EEB1F3.jpeg

MORNE

May 27, 2021, 8:46 PM

31 minutes ago, Wayne pudding Mol said:

The new epic 

2CA8187E-F418-4520-8B43-0AA2F7EEB1F3.jpeg

it is pretty epic though????

'Dale

May 29, 2021, 7:32 AM

It may be a bakkie infomercial, but it makes me want to ride my bike, hey. 

EddieV

May 31, 2021, 5:51 AM

I love the Cederberg, ...from Algeria to the Cracks, to Biedouw Valley. Up to now I've not ventured too far away from the camping sites' with the bikes.

We again spent some time there a few weeks ago, and did an unplanned reconnaissance ..... ended up doing +- 240km (in the LC) for the day .... but have now mapped out our next gravel ride.????

Looking forward to doing this route with a gravel and/or mountain bike the next time I get to the Cederberg ......  I've not seen the Doringrivier in the rainy season though, wonder if I'll be able to cross it walking through ..... (it's the crossing at "Uitspankraal") ?

UitspanKraal.jpg

BiedouwValley.png

DJR

May 31, 2021, 7:08 AM

1 hour ago, EddieV said:

...................  I've not seen the Doringrivier in the rainy season though..................

In winter, especially in a week or so after significant rains, the Doring is the prime white water kayaking river in the Western Cape. But I don't know how that crossing will be in high water.

RaeTrewBrowne

Jun 3, 2021, 11:06 AM

On 5/26/2021 at 11:29 AM, Shebeen said:

Also, how can you mention Cederberg Oasis and not talk about them ribs?

Haha my apologies ???? how could I forget about the ribs

Adr!@n

Jun 24, 2021, 2:25 PM

I haven't spent much time in Cederberg because I'm still fairly new to the Western Cape in general. But I'm heading there next weekend. I'm not very interested in gravel grinding and I know there are a couple of nice trails, especially around Sanddrif.

But, does anyone have any experience riding any of the other other stuff that's listed on Trailforks? I assume most are mainly hiking trails, but I've found before that good multi use hiking trails make for great bike trails.

cederberg.png

goatman

Jun 24, 2021, 3:36 PM

I've ridden the trails around Kromrivier, well worth it! Some sweet singletrack sections...

Trance Dance

Jun 24, 2021, 3:51 PM

Sandrif trails are great. Do the black, its tough but worth it! Kromriver trails are also well worth it, the single track from the top of the pass down is lekker fast! The route around Sugarloaf is a treat, good climb up and amazing views. Fun single track down. If I had one day of riding I'd do the kromriver trails. 

Adr!@n

Jun 25, 2021, 11:36 AM

19 hours ago, goatman said:

I've ridden the trails around Kromrivier, well worth it! Some sweet singletrack sections...

19 hours ago, Trance Dance said:

Sandrif trails are great. Do the black, its tough but worth it! Kromriver trails are also well worth it, the single track from the top of the pass down is lekker fast! The route around Sugarloaf is a treat, good climb up and amazing views. Fun single track down. If I had one day of riding I'd do the kromriver trails. 

Yeah, thanks. I'm referring to the trails that aren't marked as bike trails. Would be cool to ride north on trails, overnight, and then ride back on other trails. Even if it includes hike-a-biking.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment