Adventure and Travel

Contego Segment Hunter #3: The battle for Cape Cobra

· By BikeHubCoreAdmin · 99 comments

The third instalment of Contego Segment Hunter at Hoogekraal’s Cape Cobra turned out to be a fiercely contested battle.

Shortly after announcing the segment, Darryn Stow’s title was snatched by Die Muishond. Darryn went back to rectify things but that KOM fell a few hours later when Tiaan Jordaan raised the bar with an outstanding effort setting a new mark of 9:13. This put our challenger, Nils Hansen, under some serious pressure to perform, forcing him to employ some drastic measures.

https://www.strava.com/segments/5831618

Tiaan wins with South Industries

The team at South Industries were super impressed with Tiaan’s KOM claiming efforts on Cape Cobra. Through some light Strava stalking they noticed that Tiaan had recently broken a rim. South Industries jumped into action.

How do I ride this segment?

Hoogekraal Cape Cobra (Down & Up) is on the Hoogekraal farm just off Vissershok Road in Durbanville and is part of the larger Tygerberg MTB Club trail network.

ccs-62657-0-76282800-1471852569.jpg

Riders must purchase a day permit (or be a Tygerberg MTB club member) to ride these trails. Permits for Hoogekraal can be bought in the Hoogekraal carpark. There are two options available: 1) place cash into the honesty box or 2) pay using the Snapscan app on your phone. The current permit fee is R40 per rider.

More information is available on the Tygerberg MTB Club website here.

Grand Prize: Contego Unit Trust worth R30,000

At the end of the series, Contego are giving away R30,000 worth of unit trusts. All you have to do is ride your bike!

How to enter:

1. Join the Contego Segment Hunter Strava club and record your segment rides on Strava.
  2. Get out and ride! After each segment is announced go and ride it. Please ride safely though, there is no prize for being the fastest.

For each Contego Segment Hunter segment you ride, you will be entered into the draw to win. So if you ride all six segments during the series, you will receive six entries.

ccs-62657-0-59376300-1471851561.jpg

Episode Prizes – Win with Duesouth

By taking part in the Contego Segment Hunter Strava club you will also be in line to win a Duesouth voucher valued at R3,000 to spend in their stores each episode.

Episode 3 winner: Carl Toua

Nominate your favourite segments for Contego Segment Hunter:

We’re looking for you to nominate your favourite Strava segments to be featured in our Contego Segment Hunter video series. If your segment is chosen you could win a Cadence Nutrition hamper valued at R2,620. You can still nominate your segments here.

ccs-62657-0-49378900-1471851564.jpg

Comments

Meezo

Aug 22, 2016, 8:11 AM

...there you are

dirtypot

Aug 22, 2016, 8:30 AM

Nice work Tiaan!  

"ek is n amateur"  pfffft!  Not according to all of the training that I see you doing all the time!

Enjoy the new rims!

Headshot

Aug 22, 2016, 9:01 AM

Well done - that is a vicious segment. The DH requires lots of pedaling and has some decent tech sections too. The climb has a good gradient but is really hard to get into if you push it on the downs, at least from my experience. 

Thor Buttox

Aug 22, 2016, 9:22 AM

These okes are beasts. Went and had some fun in the weekend, improved 500 places and I'm still 4mins behind on the segment. Eish :(

Captain Fastbastard Mayhem

Aug 22, 2016, 9:32 AM

These okes are beasts. Went and had some fun in the weekend, improved 500 places and I'm still 4mins behind on the segment. Eish :(

they DID have the benefit of being shuttled up, which Tiaan didn't. Just makes his time all the more impressive. 

JohanC

Aug 22, 2016, 9:38 AM

Lekker Tiaan!!

Nick

Aug 22, 2016, 9:40 AM

they DID have the benefit of being shuttled up, which Tiaan didn't. Just makes his time all the more impressive. 

There are benefits to a warm up and for fitter riders that climb doesn't take too much out of the legs if approached at a reasonable pace.

Aug 22, 2016, 9:46 AM

There are benefits to a warm up and for fitter riders that climb doesn't take too much out of the legs if approached at a reasonable pace.

BURRRRN!

Ouch. But yes, you're right. :P

Nick

Aug 22, 2016, 9:49 AM

BURRRRN!

Ouch. But yes, you're right. :P

Sorry, by "fitter" I didn't mean in reference to your specific abilities. I meant the guys and ladies in the running for a top finish on a segment like this.

The shuttling was mostly to assist the film crew.

We're just glad that so many people went out and had a go on this fantastic trail.

Aug 22, 2016, 10:10 AM

Sorry, by "fitter" I didn't mean in reference to your specific abilities. I meant the guys and ladies in the running for a top finish on a segment like this.

The shuttling was mostly to assist the film crew.

We're just glad that so many people went out and had a go on this fantastic trail.

don't lie... :P

Thor Buttox

Aug 22, 2016, 10:10 AM

THAT is why I'm so tardy! :whistling: and it's got nothing to do with how many minutes I am slower on the downhill bit.
Matchstix

Aug 22, 2016, 10:16 AM

Things went south for the other guys. . . And not in a good way

Thor Buttox

Aug 22, 2016, 10:33 AM

Things went south for the other guys. . . And not in a good way

Crashes?
MTBeer

Aug 22, 2016, 10:41 AM

why's the Pinner wearing welding goggles?

Aug 22, 2016, 10:42 AM

BAHAHAHAHA!

Those POCs are hideous, aren't they

MTBeer

Aug 22, 2016, 10:55 AM

just because it's fashion, doesn't mean it's a good idea to wear it.

banna

Aug 22, 2016, 11:58 AM

Rode it on Saturday. Sadly I already had 2 hours of riding in my legs at the time of starting the section, otherwise I would have taken the record for sure. (....as you can hear, I still have some lactic acid in my brain....)

Matchstix

Aug 22, 2016, 11:59 AM

They got whipped by Tiaan and he scored the Rims.

nox1111

Aug 22, 2016, 12:01 PM

@Matchstix - wanneer gaan jy probeer? En sien ek jou by Ezelenduro?

Matchstix

Aug 22, 2016, 12:20 PM

Ezelenduro is n sensitiewe saak.. selfde naweek as die piketberg event wat baie lekker is.

Sal die segment probeer waneer ek n ligter fiets het. . . Af is nie die issue op. . . Haibo

ashortchase

Aug 22, 2016, 12:42 PM

BAHAHAHAHA!

Those POCs are hideous, aren't they

Those ain't POC's they are Adidas. Yolanda Neff vibes!

Aug 22, 2016, 12:44 PM

Those ain't POC's they are Adidas. Yolanda Neff vibes!

You're right... But damn, they're ugly. Neff can probably pull them off, but that doesn't mean they should be worn...

DirtyDan

Aug 22, 2016, 12:44 PM

How sure are we that Tiaan Jordaan wasn't on an e-bike?

johnson

Aug 22, 2016, 12:45 PM

Have you ever heard the phrase "Die son WELD" ???

Add a comment

You must log in to comment