Adventure and Travel

Contego Segment Hunter: Episode 3 Preview – Cape Cobra

· By Press Office · 35 comments

After conquering the tar on Red Hill, Contego Segment Hunter is heading back to the dirt and knobbly tyres. It is also a return to the Tygerberg Trails but there is good reason; the super enjoyable Hoogekraal Cape Cobra (Down & Up) segment.

The Segment:

Hoogekraal Cape Cobra (Down & Up) tests both fitness and skills with a fun, technical descent leading to a steady climb back to the top of the hill.

The current KOM holder is Darryn Stow with Kate Slegrova recently claiming the QOM.

https://www.strava.com/segments/5831618

How do I ride this segment?

Hoogekraal Cape Cobra (Down & Up) is on the Hoogekraal farm just off Vissershok Road in Durbanville and is part of the larger Tygerberg MTB Club trail network.

Riders must purchase a day permit (or be a Tygerberg MTB club member) to ride these trails. Permits for Hoogekraal can be bought in the Hoogekraal carpark. There are two options available: 1) place cash into the honesty box or 2) pay using the Snapscan app on your phone. The current permit fee is R40 per rider.

More information is available on the Tygerberg MTB Club website here.

Grand Prize: Contego Unit Trust worth R30,000

At the end of the series, Contego are giving away R30,000 worth of unit trusts. All you have to do is ride your bike!

How to enter:

1. Join the Contego Segment Hunter Strava club and record your segment rides on Strava.
  2. Get out and ride! After each segment is announced go and ride it. Please ride safely though, there is no prize for being the fastest.

For each Contego Segment Hunter segment you ride, you will be entered into the draw to win. So if you ride all six segments during the series, you will receive six entries.

Episode Prizes

By taking part in the Contego Segment Hunter Strava club you will also be in line to win a Duesouth voucher valued at R3,000 to spend in their stores each episode.

ccs-62657-0-84808200-1470047934.jpg

Nominate your favourite segments for Contego Segment Hunter:

We’re looking for you to nominate your favourite Strava segments to be featured in our Contego Segment Hunter video series. If your segment is chosen you could win a Cadence Nutrition hamper valued at R2,620. You can nominate your segments here.

The winner of the Cadence hamper for episode 3 is The_Chav. Thank you for your nomination.

Comments

Headshot

Aug 1, 2016, 12:09 PM

I nominated this one as I bet a few other people did...

Captain Fastbastard Mayhem

Aug 1, 2016, 12:10 PM

yeah, same. It's a very good little section of trail. 

Hairy

Aug 1, 2016, 12:31 PM

that is such a freeaaaking lekker bit of trail, best on the tygerberg network for me

Albatross

Aug 1, 2016, 12:34 PM

Are u riding it in its rough n ready state or after the annual "manicure" which is due soon?

Contego Segment Hunter

Aug 1, 2016, 12:37 PM

I nominated this one as I bet a few other people did...

yeah, same. It's a very good little section of trail. 

Thanks for the nomination guys.

It's probably our most popular segment with four nominations.

Contego Segment Hunter

Aug 1, 2016, 12:38 PM

Are u riding it in its rough n ready state or after the annual "manicure" which is due soon?

The challenger's run should take place within the next three weeks.

Matchstix

Aug 1, 2016, 7:18 PM

Hardtail 29 er counttry mm

BrandonF_

Aug 1, 2016, 7:38 PM

Sheez,..after two years and 900000 litres of Red Wine,..Im still in 14th place.......GIVE THIS MAN a MERLOT!!!;????????????

MTBeer

Aug 2, 2016, 7:27 AM

It's all in the climbing. I've got a 59th on the downhill but only 130th on the down plus up.

Aug 2, 2016, 4:03 PM

let me just answer my phone and have a conversation on this climb... 

Matchstix

Aug 2, 2016, 5:59 PM

My segment for this was contermans mast black into revised, up oldman climb and down blue revised cheeky corners finish with segment in the trees

V18

Aug 2, 2016, 7:39 PM

Did anyone check strava today? Segment taken already?! This one is wide open.

Aug 3, 2016, 7:25 AM

Die MUISHOND
KOM 10:27 Aug 2, 2016

'Dale

Aug 3, 2016, 12:20 PM

Die MUISHONDKOM 10:27 Aug 2, 2016

In the UK it's The Stig

In SA, it's Die Muishond

????

Matchstix

Aug 3, 2016, 2:51 PM

I reckon once they get a Pro in the time will drop to about 9:40

WaldoZ

Aug 3, 2016, 3:22 PM

I reckon once they get a Pro in the time will drop to about 9:40

Yeah definitely, even lower maybe.

Matchstix

Aug 3, 2016, 3:29 PM

Fastest time down is 2:59 fastest time up is 6:20 so in theory it should be 9:20 or less

Contego Segment Hunter

Aug 4, 2016, 6:15 PM

Looks like a battle is brewing.

Darryn went out and reclaimed his KOM today.

Great to see riders going for it. So who's going to be next?

Remember, you don't have to KOM or QOM to win with Contego. Simply join the Contego Segment Hunter Strava club and go ride any of the segments featured in the series to go into the draw to win R30,000 in Contego unit trusts.

Thor Buttox

Aug 4, 2016, 6:31 PM

Looks like a battle is brewing.

Darryn went out and reclaimed his KOM today.

Great to see riders going for it. So who's going to be next?

Remember, you don't have to KOM or QOM to win with Contego. Simply join the Contego Segment Hunter Strava club and go ride any of the segments featured in the series to go into the draw to win R30,000 in Contego unit trusts.

Sorry, too late, it's gone already. The racing snakes are lining up.
raymakestv

Aug 4, 2016, 6:47 PM

Holy moly.who is this guy? 9:13?

Was he banned from the Olympics?

raymakestv

Aug 4, 2016, 6:51 PM

What bike was this guy riding? I'm gonna buy one.

Matchstix

Aug 4, 2016, 7:07 PM

Wish it was an ebike so we can ban him. Well done though. All on the climb

Tiaan Jordaan

Aug 4, 2016, 7:10 PM

Matchstix

Aug 4, 2016, 7:12 PM

Scan it with that ipad thingy from uci

Add a comment

You must log in to comment