Adventure and Travel

Contego Segment Hunter: Episode 4 Preview – Bartinney Skyfall

· By BikeHubCoreAdmin · 22 comments

After an eventful hunt at Hoegekraal’s Cape Cobra, Contego Segment Hunter heads to the Banhoek Conservancy just outside Stellenbosch. In this episode our challenger will be taking on the glamorous Bartinney Skyfall trail. Watch as Erik Kleinhans and Oliver Munnik take you down the Bartinney Skyfall segment.

The Segment:

For this episode, we created the Bartinney Skyfall Contego Segment Hunter segment as there appeared to be anomalies in the existing segments resulting in inaccurate times.

The current KOM holder is previous hunter Gert Heyns and the QOM is held by Deleen-Marie Steyn.

https://www.strava.com/segments/13164991

How do I ride this segment?

The Bartinney Skyfall trail is on the Bartinney Estate wine farm just off Helshoogte Road and forms part of the Banhoek Conservancy trail network. On a bike, the trail is best approached from the Botsmanskop single track.

Riders must purchase a day permit (if not already a year member) to ride these trails. Permits for the Banhoek Conservancy can be bought using the Zapper payment app. You can either scan the code online here or at Grind Coffee in Stellenbosch or on some of the partnering farms. Further information is available on the Banghoek Conservancy website.

Grand Prize: Contego Unit Trust worth R30,000

At the end of the series, Contego are giving away R30,000 worth of unit trusts. All you have to do is ride your bike!

How to enter:

1. Join the Contego Segment Hunter Strava club and record your segment rides on Strava.
  2. Get out and ride! After each segment is announced go and ride it. Please ride safely though, there is no prize for being the fastest.

For each Contego Segment Hunter segment you ride, you will be entered into the draw to win. So if you ride all six segments during the series, you will receive six entries.

Episode Prizes

By taking part in the Contego Segment Hunter Strava club you will also be in line to win a Duesouth voucher valued at R3,000 to spend in their stores each episode.

ccs-62657-0-75175100-1473752337.jpg

Nominate your favourite segments for Contego Segment Hunter:

We’re looking for you to nominate your favourite Strava segments to be featured in our Contego Segment Hunter video series. If your segment is chosen you could win a Cadence Nutrition hamper valued at R2,620. You can nominate your segments here.

The winner of the Cadence hamper for episode 4 is Seamus who will be donating the hamper to Songo.info. Thank you for your nomination.

Comments

Meezo

Sep 13, 2016, 8:13 AM

isn't Skyfall closed to the public?

*watching video now...

Pure Savage

Sep 13, 2016, 8:14 AM

What about some QOM hunting? Suikerbossie south side comes to mind or Chappies

Meezo

Sep 13, 2016, 8:19 AM

isn't Skyfall closed to the public?

*watching video now...

nice, can't wait to check it!

usxorf

Sep 13, 2016, 8:23 AM

Where are the mtb segs on suikers or chappies? Link?
dirtypot

Sep 13, 2016, 8:26 AM

I must be honest, I didn't find Skyfall to be the incredible track that it's been hyped up to be.  Some trails you get to the end of and think to yourself "woah!  That was the best trail ever!" but for this one it just felt pretty good.  Maybe it's just a bit too manicured?  

Contego Segment Hunter

Sep 13, 2016, 8:29 AM

It's coming soon. But more likely to be a dirt segment.

usxorf

Sep 13, 2016, 8:35 AM

I must be honest, I didn't find Skyfall to be the incredible track that it's been hyped up to be.  Some trails you get to the end of and think to yourself "woah!  That was the best trail ever!" but for this one it just felt pretty good.  Maybe it's just a bit too manicured?  

Hype can do that to you, pretty good is pretty good in my book.

Meezo

Sep 13, 2016, 8:37 AM

Die MUISHOND in a full face to do the Segment Hunt :clap: :clap: :clap:

MTBeer

Sep 13, 2016, 8:45 AM

agreed.

I thinks it looks better (as in the stunning photographs you see) than it actually is. Still lekker though.

Bloukrans

Sep 13, 2016, 8:46 AM

This

Headshot

Sep 13, 2016, 10:33 AM

It is open - as they say buy a Banhoek permit. Last time I rode it was just after some heavy rain and a bit of snow. You can start in Stellies and do a 40 k loop from Botmanskop down Skyfall and along the Boschendal trails. Skyfall  is pedally and dead boring in my opinion. In fact I think it might be more fun riding up it. :-) 

Skubarra

Sep 13, 2016, 10:44 AM

Hype can do that to you, pretty good is pretty good in my book.

True, sometimes all the hype do a trail no favours, Umkomaas decent on Sani2C comes to mind as well.

Pure Savage

Sep 13, 2016, 11:34 AM

Where are the mtb segs on suikers or chappies? Link?

Why must it be dirt? James did his on red hill, no MTB segments there.

Find the going up ones more interesting than the down ones...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dirtypot

Sep 13, 2016, 11:44 AM

James did his on red hill, no MTB segments there.

Wrong!  There's a lekka mtb segment going down Red Hill  :ph34r:

Flemish Lion

Sep 13, 2016, 11:45 AM

Perhaps they must get Ash to do a Hill hunt when she's back in the country ;)

milky4130

Sep 13, 2016, 11:59 AM

I've ridden this segment a couple of times socially & in races & can almost certainly say the "unskilled segment hunters" gaan Lekker Val, as was seen in the video, easy to go off the sides. Be safe & ride in your limits.

Headshot

Sep 13, 2016, 12:34 PM

How about a Chappies ascent from HB coupled to a descent down to Noordhoek. Problem will be traffic on the descent...

dirtypot

Sep 13, 2016, 1:07 PM

How about a Chappies ascent from HB coupled to a descent down to Noordhoek. Problem will be traffic on the descent...

https://www.strava.com/segments/13183683

Skubarra

Sep 13, 2016, 1:11 PM

Can't see the organiser endorsing hunting strava KOMs on relatively busy & "dangerous" public roads - not worth the potential lawsuits  :whistling:

Shebeen

Sep 13, 2016, 3:04 PM

this has been in my head all day now. ,thanks

Pure Savage

Sep 13, 2016, 3:55 PM

Perhaps they must get Ash to do a Hill hunt when she's back in the country ;)

So she would be hunting her own QOM's :P

Pure Savage

Sep 13, 2016, 3:56 PM

Can't see the organiser endorsing hunting strava KOMs on relatively busy & "dangerous" public roads - not worth the potential lawsuits  :whistling:

What, Chappies is open to cars? whoops....

Add a comment

You must log in to comment