Adventure and Travel

Epic Insider: Intervals, injuries and the start of my Cape Epic

· By Matt · 18 comments

It’s just another stage race I was telling myself. A few more people, cameras and flashy lights, but nothing fundamentally different from what I have done. But the Cape Epic is not just another race. It has acquired a certain reputation. It has something special and has become a sort of mountain bike acid test. When most non-cyclists hear you ride a bike it’s usually followed by an ‘oh, have you done the epic’ or ‘the argus’ or both – as if they’re on the same playing field.

As much as I argued my internal justifications had done little to settle the nerves though. While just 20km and not all that tricky a course, the mind still starts wandering. What if we puncture, are my gears set right, have I fiddled too much, what if we crash. What if.

ACE15_Prologue_SS_002.jpg

Photo by Sophie Smith/Cape Epic/SPORTZPICS

It’s 6:30am. Last checks of the luggage before we load up the car and head through. It’s getting closer to go time, “hammer time” as Lindsay, my girlfriend, says and my stomach is doing flips. I haven’t felt this since I started racing on the road in the “Senior Scholars League”.

Arriving at UCT the nervous energy now turns to excitement. In what seems like no time at all we’ve said our goodbyes and we’re in the queue waiting for our call up.

“Six O Two” crackles over a loud hailer. That’s us! We shuffle expectantly through the chute towards the start ramp. Up ahead a small set of stairs leads us up onto the start ramp. We’re off next. “3, 2, 1…. GO!”

It’s eerily calm. My first sense is slight annoyance at the announcer for mispronouncing my surname. “Focus dude, you’re racing!”, I tell myself.

Out on the course we’re not there to win any medals. Rubber side down is firmly the only motto as we gently wake up cold legs. I have an itch to go harder, to chase a little, but I know what lies ahead this week. I also know both Dane and I are nursing the tail end of illness and injury. Restraint is all important.

The route itself, although undoubtedly spectacularly situated, wasn’t particularly interesting aside from the last 5km. The climbs were tough, but also over quickly. My interest was sparked when we hit the new sections of single track. I’d been warned of the dusty rutted trails and some steep sections we hadn’t had the opportunity to recce.

Winding down back towards UCT we hit the steeper, more sketchy section of trail. Up ahead a rider panics and locks up brakes into now deep ruts. In spite of his efforts otherwise he somehow he makes it through upright, but has now slowed speed to a crawl leaving little choice but to have faith in the line and shoot down.

Phew, all safe and sound. With the crowd gathered at the foot of the hill it was clear this was a good vantage point for wipeouts. Thankfully neither of us provided any viewing pleasure.

The last few sections of single track through the trees were lined with supporters. On this familiar trail I hear a few familiar voices cheering us on. Picking lines through the rocks there’s no time for a glance or wave, but the support lights a little fire of excitement as we charge into the finish at UCT.

With our first Cape Epic now firmly underway the first day has gone well. And while some of the initial nerves have fizzled, tomorrow’s tough stage 1 presents it’s own new “what if’s”. We’ve done the hard yards, the training blocks, the intervals, the sacrifice… for the most part. Though, no matter how well justified my cerebral points might be, only tomorrow and the days thereafter will tell the true story.

What lies ahead: Stage 1

stage1.jpg

A 113 km circular route from Oak Valley with a total of 2800m climbing, including the famed Groenlandberg.

Related posts

Comments

fanievb

Mar 15, 2015, 6:59 PM

gooi mielies Matt!!

W@nna-BE

Mar 15, 2015, 7:06 PM

Well said!

Are you the boys wearing the Hub Tshirt?

Matt

Mar 15, 2015, 7:20 PM

Well said! Are you the boys wearing the Hub Tshirt?

That's most likely us. We'll be out in Food Lovers Market kit tomorrow though.

How was your ride?

Scalpel89

Mar 15, 2015, 7:26 PM

I think that was myself shouting you on near the last few twists and turns of the single track near UCT. I got some footage as well of you guys flying past!

Good luck for the rest of the race bud! Looking forward to the rest of the ride reports!

Pure Savage

Mar 15, 2015, 10:18 PM

Good luck to you and Dane!! Go hammer it!!

poker

Mar 15, 2015, 10:27 PM

Wish I was there

W@nna-BE

Mar 16, 2015, 3:12 AM

Ride was good thanks, we took it really slow

DIPSLICK

Mar 16, 2015, 4:44 AM

Give it horns, don't worry about this lot I will wear my ADMIN badge with honor until u return, then I will make an executive decision if I give it back ;)

Squier

Mar 16, 2015, 5:26 AM

Great read! All the best!

Pieterg

Mar 16, 2015, 5:35 AM

Where can I get Epic cycling Jerseys online missed out on last year's ones.Enjoy your Epic I'm sad that I'm missing out this year but I'll be Back!!!

DJR

Mar 16, 2015, 5:41 AM

Good Luck Matt

Trailman

Mar 16, 2015, 6:59 AM

Good luck Matt, hope you and Dane have a great ride.

Headshot

Mar 16, 2015, 9:42 AM

Yep, good luck and keep the reports coming.

RatherBeMTB

Mar 16, 2015, 12:11 PM

Nice piece of writing Matt! I too hope to attempt the Epic one day. Fresh legs and air filled tires I wish you for the coming week!

Eddy Gordo

Mar 16, 2015, 12:18 PM

Nice!! Goodluck Guys

Long Wheel Base

Mar 16, 2015, 12:25 PM

Good luck guys.

On a side note, Just checked you up on the epic site-Didn't realise you where so young!

DIPSLICK

Mar 16, 2015, 12:31 PM

Good luck guys.

On a side note, Just checked you up on the epic site-Didn't realise you where so young!

spring chicken,,,,,not an old ROOSTER :ph34r:

MK Killer

Mar 16, 2015, 4:13 PM

I wish my girlfriend would say to me... "its hammer time"

Add a comment

You must log in to comment