Adventure and Travel

Event Report: Weskus Fat Bike Adventure

· By BikeHubCoreAdmin · 12 comments

The Weskus Fat Bike Adventure is a truly unique experience. The main focus is to enjoy the ride – there is no timing and no race positioning – riders simply head off once the last rider is ready (and when the tides allow). This approach creates a very social atmosphere in the campsite and out on the bike. – Photos by Craig Kolesky.

Weskus Fat Bike Adventure 22.jpg

Weskus Fat Bike Adventure 1.jpg
Weskus Fat Bike Adventure 2.jpg

The Weskus Fat Bike Adventure is based at the Ganzekraal Campsite just an hour’s drive from Cape Town. Ganzekraal is one of those places that as soon as you arrive, you feel relaxed. The view of the ocean and continuous supply of And Union beer set the tone for the weekend.

The event kicked off on Friday with registration (with an excellent goodie bag by the way) and a very short ride through the campsite and across the closest cove. Although only 4 kilometres long, we encountered the sketchiest bit of boardwalk in the event which claimed a few victims.

The first day saw us riding inland south towards Koeberg. A few kilometres out from the power station, we turned towards the coast and found ourselves staring down a halfpipe shaped dune shute. Much fun was had “carving” the dune walls. At the end of the schute was a pretty impressive sand dune and the event’s only enforced portage section down a two-metre drop. The braver of the riders bombed the steep dune after the drop while many selecting the safer option of walking down.

Weskus Fat Bike Adventure 4.jpg
Weskus Fat Bike Adventure 5.jpg
Weskus Fat Bike Adventure 6.jpg
Weskus Fat Bike Adventure 7.jpg

Once safely down the monstrous dune, we got out first taste of open beach. It’s a wonderful feeling cruising along with riders scattered along an endless beach with nothing but sea, sand, and blossoming flowers in sight.

Weskus Fat Bike Adventure 13.jpg

Weskus Fat Bike Adventure 11.jpg
Weskus Fat Bike Adventure 12.jpg

We hopped from bay to bay, crossing over rocks and overgrown access roads. The single track getting into and out of each bay presented us with some challenging technical sections with the more confident riders egging each other on.

Weskus Fat Bike Adventure 10.jpg

Weskus Fat Bike Adventure 14.jpg
Weskus Fat Bike Adventure 15.jpg

The drinks breaks were an important part of the first day. At two scenic points, all the riders stopped to regroup and enjoy beer or chocolate milk while recounting the ride so far.

Weskus Fat Bike Adventure 16.jpg

Weskus Fat Bike Adventure 17.jpg
Weskus Fat Bike Adventure 18.jpg

Weskus Fat Bike Adventure 19.jpg

Weskus Fat Bike Adventure 26.jpg
Weskus Fat Bike Adventure 27.jpg
Weskus Fat Bike Adventure 28.jpg

After the second water stop, our legs started complaining, despite the relatively short total distance of 30 kilometres. Riding the Weskus terrain is not easy and even with fat bikes, it’s no simple task. To make matters worse, the local mole population had taken it upon themselves to welcome us with an endless supply of molehills to crush as we edged closer to the campsite (and lunch).

At the end of the day, we were very happy to roll into the camp, hand our bikes over to the great guys at the Namgear bike wash (after riding through salt water and sand, a wash is vital) and head over for a beer and lunch.

Once the day’s riding was done, the other half of Weskus Fat Bike Adventure commenced: getting to know a bunch of like-minded cyclists.

Weskus Fat Bike Adventure 21.jpg

Weskus Fat Bike Adventure 23.jpg
Weskus Fat Bike Adventure 24.jpg

Weskus Fat Bike Adventure 25.jpg

Day two is the big one. You wouldn’t think it looking at the route stats: 40 kilometres with 150 metres of climbing. But in fat biking, they should include other metrics, like the softness of the sand!

Weskus Fat Bike Adventure 30.jpg

Weskus Fat Bike Adventure 29.jpg
Weskus Fat Bike Adventure 31.jpg

Weskus Fat Bike Adventure 32.jpg
Weskus Fat Bike Adventure 34.jpg

Riding 40 kilometres of non-stop beach sand was an entirely new experience. I quickly figured out three vital skills needed for fat biking efficiency.

1. Being able to predict the firmness of the sand ahead. Often the sweet spot was just where the last wave had seeped into the sand, which presented the danger of incoming waves (destroyers of drivetrains).
  2. Fat bike drafting. This has nothing to do with air resistance instead you need to be able to hold your line as you follow the tracks of compressed sand left behind by faster riders.
  3. Tyre pressure. Soft sand requires lower pressures than the rocky shorelines we rode on day 1. In my case, I found that almost riding on the rim proved to be the most efficient setting. Unfortunately, I only figured this out with 4 kilometres to go.

The day ended with a ride up the boardwalks at Yzerfontein with the cheers of fellow riders greeting our arrival.

A big thanks to Craig, Rudolf, and Chris for putting on a spectacular event.

Weskus Fat Bike Adventure 36.jpg
Weskus Fat Bike Adventure 35.jpg
Weskus Fat Bike Adventure 37.jpg
Weskus Fat Bike Adventure 38.jpg

Comments

Karakoram

Oct 13, 2016, 5:22 AM

Thank you to the organisers, sponsors and fellow Fatbike pilots, it was a fantastic adventure ride. We thoroughly enjoyed the beach riding, painterly scenery, and the beer!

I also learnt a new trick... How to open a craft beer with your Fatbike's wheel: 

Jewbacca

Oct 13, 2016, 6:39 AM

But who won?

I can't get my head around riding a bike for 2 days without knowing who won... ridiculous!

Seriously though, by all accounts and all reports from my mates who were there, this was the 'vettest' jol of the year.... Pity I missed out.

Pretty keen to sign up for next year! Maybe we will see a spike in the 'when fat bikes were cool' graph again!

Tubehunter

Oct 13, 2016, 6:49 AM

I am so tempted to do this, just to scout out all the surf spot potential along that stretch!!!!

G e r h a r d Odendaal

Oct 13, 2016, 8:47 AM

Im there next year! REALLY enjoying my fatbike. People that havent ridden them don't know what they're missing...

Karakoram

Oct 13, 2016, 10:55 AM

But who won?

I can't get my head around riding a bike for 2 days without knowing who won... ridiculous!

Seriously though, by all accounts and all reports from my mates who were there, this was the 'vettest' jol of the year.... Pity I missed out.

Pretty keen to sign up for next year! Maybe we will see a spike in the 'when fat bikes were cool' graph again!

Your mates are right! It was the coolest jol ever. Nature, new friendships, slack Fatbike riding and chilling out won. I was also super impressed by the spontaneous cycling-chic beach fashion statements made by many of the Fatbike pilots. You are going to the beach, right?  Bright Hawaiian shirts, baggies and the hottest shades ever... Loved it.

Grease_Monkey

Oct 13, 2016, 11:23 AM

Looks epic!!

TALUS

Oct 13, 2016, 7:59 PM

I am super keen. Fatattack was awesome this year. I think my soul is really in a Fatbike.

GysMalan44

Oct 13, 2016, 8:51 PM

A Weekend we will forever remember.
I have done multiple events and stage races over the last four years, but never had so much fun.
Sharing my two passions with like minded people made for unforgettable memories and plenty new friends. Go and LIKE Weskus Fat Bike and stay up to date with whats happening.!
Thanks to Craig Kolesky and his crew for this amazing experience.
10/10

Iwan Kemp

Oct 14, 2016, 4:12 AM

But who won?

In the end, mountain biking won...

G e r h a r d Odendaal

Oct 14, 2016, 11:04 AM

I am super keen. Fatattack was awesome this year. I think my soul is really in a Fatbike.

I rode my fatbike all week this week and going to this both days this weekend as well. This new bike has stirred something in me that is new to me. As Talus summed up perfectly - his soul is really in a Fatbike and I fee exactly the same.

Karakoram

Oct 14, 2016, 12:38 PM

I rode my fatbike all week this week and going to this both days this weekend as well. This new bike has stirred something in me that is new to me. As Talus summed up perfectly - his soul is really in a Fatbike and I fee exactly the same.

Nice to hear about another Fatty convert. You should check out this guy's blog - fascinating stuff...http://coastkid.blogspot.co.za/

Ferro

Oct 14, 2016, 1:25 PM

This thread has made me feel happier after reading the taxi one. Thanks for sharing.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment