Adventure and Travel

Help build the Super Loop at Garden Route Trail Park

· By Press Office · 25 comments

Help Matt MacDuff raise his Super Loop at the Garden Route Trail Park outside Knysna.

Matt Macduff is about to embark on his most ambitious project ever; building the worlds largest wooden loop de loop at 12 meters (40 ft) and riding it on his Bicycle!

ccs-62657-0-43895600-1452626068.jpg

This is no easy task….. So Matt and his crew need your help! We want you involved in the action, every step along the way.

Every piece of this massive structure is up for sale, that means when you support this world record attempt. You’ll be able to leave your mark on this slice of mountain bike history, as big or as small as your like, depending on the different creative option of your purchase.

Ultimately you will help create a giant performance master piece! For Matt to ride and the world to enjoy. A cycling monument to be remembered forever!

Build:

Feb 19th – March 5th 2016

Crew

Matt Macduff – Producer/Rider/Loop de Loop Master
Marc-Andre Locat – Master carpenter/Ramp builder/Loop expert
Rob Dormehl – Owner and operator of The Garden Route Trail Park SA
Gunter – Master Carpenter/Awesome
Louis Lhomel – Director/Camera Operator
Julian Grimard – Photographer
Record attempt (Go time): March 6th – 12th 2016

ccs-62657-0-44862800-1452626056.jpg
ccs-62657-0-61325800-1452626057.jpg

After the structure is complete a short video will be released, directed by Louis Lhomel, documenting Matt riding the world record loop and dedicating the stunt to all who helped him realize his dream… That’s You!

Budget:

$11 111 CAD (Minimum ‘pulling teeth’ budget)

Travel – $4500
Labour – $4000
Materials – $2056
Kick starer cut – $555
Any additional funds will be much needed, up our production and make the project even more awesome!

Thank you for your time and support!

Risks and challenges

There are many risk’s and many challenges in the world of actions sports but few are more experienced and qualified then Matt to handle them.

To get your piece of the Super Loop, visit the Kickstarter project page here.

Check out Matt’s last successful crowd funder ‘Project Breathe Easy’ here: http://www.projectbreatheeasy.com/

Watch the full movie here:

http://www.pinkbike.com/video/394174/

Comments

Bos

Jan 13, 2016, 10:05 AM

So why does a Canadian want to go do it in the Garden route and get us to pay for it? Surely the Trail Park must chip in ?

KarlvN

Jan 13, 2016, 10:23 AM

So why does a Canadian want to go do it in the Garden route and get us to pay for it? Surely the Trail Park must chip in ?

or his sponsors...

Crowd funding seems like a good idea.

"Folks, I am having a braai this weekend and need some money for wood, some top steaks and a couple beers. Generally, I want to have a good time, and would like y'all to pay for it, since I am a rad guy, who can really piss it up with the best of 'em. Any interested people who would like to fund me can pm me for my bank details."

nonky

Jan 13, 2016, 10:53 AM

Travel - $4500 

WTF??????

Matchstix

Jan 13, 2016, 11:03 AM

Travel must include his crew's tickets.

But yes sound like he is going for a holiday. Maybe I should start a thing on the hub to cover my tickets to get to BC Bike race?? Any volunteers?

pierre-

Jan 13, 2016, 11:56 AM

Bos

Jan 13, 2016, 12:09 PM

I was at the GRTrail Park last week and believe me I want nothing to do with that jump nore the drop in.. Its massive and after the drop in you pace down a hill for atleast 100m before even hitting the kicker. I was into dirt jumping when I was younger and hit some pretty big gaps, but that thing is massive..

I just don't understand why the trailpark doesn't cover some of the expences or do they just want a free ride all the way? They charge R100 per entry.. sure they spent lots on the amazing trails, but its the most I have ever paid to ride my bike apart from a race.

Brawler

Jan 13, 2016, 12:27 PM

I was at the GRTrail Park last week and believe me I want nothing to do with that jump nore the drop in.. Its massive and after the drop in you pace down a hill for atleast 100m before even hitting the kicker. I was into dirt jumping when I was younger and hit some pretty big gaps, but that thing is massive..

I just don't understand why the trailpark doesn't cover some of the expences or do they just want a free ride all the way? They charge R100 per entry.. sure they spent lots on the amazing trails, but its the most I have ever paid to ride my bike apart from a race.

R100 per day is cheap for GRTP. The accommodation is also dirt cheap.

WRT the Pure darkness crew, if anything GRTP is being taken for a ride (accommodation / machinery / given them free will to build whatever / labour / wood etc) but is done in good will and for the love of MTB. 

On top of that do you still expect them to drop R200k on this? This is where sponsors like Red Bull / Monster should come in.  I agree it is a lot of money - perhaps they should do it back home.

Super_mil

Jan 13, 2016, 12:35 PM

These guys realize we earn Rands right?

pierre-

Jan 13, 2016, 12:40 PM

Edge_Design

Jan 13, 2016, 12:55 PM

Is +-R120k really that much money for it? I'm sure they could get sponsors to pay for it, but they're trying something different. These guys probably earn 10 times that amount from their sponsors while doing the build and do the crowd funding for a bit of fun (pure speculation, but there aren't many people in a position to spend a month in a city for zero income while making a video).

I personally don't see the need of donating to it (so I won't), but think it's a pretty awesome idea and just wished it was closer to home so I could see it.

Guest notmyname

Jan 13, 2016, 12:59 PM

Who in SA can actually ride that thing? Can't be more than a hand full.

Mongoose!

Jan 13, 2016, 1:06 PM

South Africa is currently having the worse drought in years

Heading towards a recession (if not already in one...) 

Open wallets / donations should  point in the direction to relieve address those issues... :whistling:  

Brawler

Jan 13, 2016, 1:08 PM

Who in SA can actually ride that thing? Can't be more than a hand full.

The step up? So far I think just one South African has hit it.

Matchstix

Jan 13, 2016, 1:14 PM

Who?

Nick

Jan 13, 2016, 1:16 PM

The Trail Park is a passion project for the owner. Even with a R100 entry fee, costs aren't covered. 

Hosting people like Matt and his mates from Pure Darkness is more for the owner's pleasure than anything else. You should see how stoked he gets when the guys started building and hitting the step up. He's been planning this with Matt even before he left after last year's build. Huge time and money has been put in already.

There will also be an edit out of the Trail Park this summer that you won't have to donate any money to a Canadian lad, or anyone else, to watch.

Guest notmyname

Jan 13, 2016, 1:16 PM

How hit that step up? Who can ride that loop?

Duane_Bosch

Jan 13, 2016, 1:41 PM

Justin Novela flipped it and Roman Kumpers has hit it. I think Nic Reichwein has too. The size of that thing is beyond comprehension. The pics don't really do it justice coz it's in a dip. Just standing next to the roll in is scary.

Brawler

Jan 13, 2016, 1:42 PM

How hit that step up? Who can ride that loop?

https://www.instagram.com/p/286JdOyI1K/

Meezo

Jan 13, 2016, 2:20 PM

INSANE!

Bos

Jan 13, 2016, 2:47 PM

The Trail Park is a passion project for the owner. Even with a R100 entry fee, costs aren't covered. 

Hosting people like Matt and his mates from Pure Darkness is more for the owner's pleasure than anything else. You should see how stoked he gets when the guys started building and hitting the step up. He's been planning this with Matt even before he left after last year's build. Huge time and money has been put in already.

There will also be an edit out of the Trail Park this summer that you won't have to donate any money to a Canadian lad, or anyone else, to watch.

Sure.. All good, surely he owns the machinery anyway. But Big ups for doing it in the first place. He has a good little business going there. Spent the money and its slowly coming back to him. The time I was there in January there must have been 20 cars parked outside, the coffee shop was full, and I saw and heard people around me on the trails quite often. I think its a nice break from the old Hakerville red route everyone use to crowd during Dec hols.

However.. as others have said. Perhaps now might not be the best "climate" for this request ;)

Duane_Bosch

Jan 13, 2016, 3:09 PM

Sure.. All good, surely he owns the machinery anyway. But Big ups for doing it in the first place. He has a good little business going there. Spent the money and its slowly coming back to him. The time I was there in January there must have been 20 cars parked outside, the coffee shop was full, and I saw and heard people around me on the trails quite often. I think its a nice break from the old Hakerville red route everyone use to crowd during Dec hols.

However.. as others have said. Perhaps now might not be the best "climate" for this request ;)

I've been there about 6 times in the last year and have had many chats with Rob about how the trails are going. He's not printing money there at all. His biggest complaint is that all of his customers seem to come from Cape Town. The garden route locals want to grind.

Those trails are SUPERB IMO. Well worth the R100 per day to ride them or the price of an annual membership. The amount of thought and work that's gone into them is ridiculous. He had Mark Gordon there for months building. That stuff isn't free.

Going up for a long weekend and staying in the trail house with mates to me is a real treat. What could possibly be better than spending the day riding rad trails and then smashing a few beers and overnighting in a house 100m from the trail head?

Rob owns the jcb but not the huge ass excavator they used to dig the clay out. Nor the truck to transport it to the site. Also if you think a JCB runs itself for free you are sadly mistaken.

20 cars = +- 30 riders * R100. That's 3k. Hardly a kings ransom.

Guest notmyname

Jan 13, 2016, 5:01 PM

Coooked!!!!!!!!!

the nerd

Jan 13, 2016, 5:31 PM

With the exchange rate as it is, they can come here and pay us to build it and still make a profit... 

Pure Savage

Jan 13, 2016, 9:53 PM

When I first saw it in December I thought it was a water tower! Ridiculous!

Add a comment

You must log in to comment