Adventure and Travel

Kogelberg Nature Reserve: The Perfect Local Adventure

Words and Pictures by Rae Trew-Browne

· By Bike Hub Features · 16 comments

With international travel not really on the cards for the foreseeable future, you probably aren’t the only one looking out for some local options for a weekend away with the family. Local travel is the perfect way to satisfy that travel craving and let’s be honest, we live in one of the most beautiful countries in the world. People travel from all over the world to visit what we have right on our doorstep.

12-DJI_0022.jpg

One of those areas is the beautiful Overberg, specifically the coastline between Betty’s Bay and Kleinmond.

The Kleinmond area needs no introduction, it’s a firm favourite for many a weekend adventure or day trip for a scenic drive along Clarens Drive, but while a busy beach might not be everyone’s cup of ale, there is a small reserve just off the main road between Betty’s Bay and Kleinmond that has some great trail running and MTB routes.

While the MTB route is just 11km out and 11km back, it has some great views with just over 400m of climbing. Not much single track though but the jeep track is so technical at times it more than makes up for it.

2-_OLM4136.jpg

The route starts from the main car park where you can also purchase your day permit. It starts off with a gradual climb up along past the eco-cabins that have been put up recently. Called the Mbali Collection, they are 8 magnificent glass fronted eco-cabins built with as little impact to the reserve as possible. Five of them are 2 sleepers and three are 6 sleepers. The perfect place to relax and explore all that the nature reserve has to offer. Each cabin has its own bedding, crockery and cutlery and is powered by the Eskom grid with backup solar power. A Braai and grid is provided as well.

6-_OLM4151.jpg

The jeep track, as mentioned, is very rocky and technical so the ride still requires a fair amount of concentration. The road actually goes out all the way to the highlands road that links up to Grabouw but it’s unfortunately not possible to link up to Grabouw any more due to different landownership in the valley.

The track follows along the Palmiet River which in summer is an excellent way to cool down as it can get quite warm in the valley. Winter rainfall means the river flows stronger in the colder months, which makes the views out over the valley pretty exceptional. Like I said, it might not have twisty singletrack and steep drop offs but the views more than make up for it.

8-_OLM4158.jpg

The jeep track route also makes it the perfect place for a novice or beginner cyclist to build up some confidence before tackling something a bit more advanced. There are a few river crossings which need to be navigated on foot but otherwise it is a great place to practise, especially if you have just moved from flat pedals to clipless pedals. We all know how daunting that can be, so having a space free of cars to build confidence clipping in is always a winner.

Once you turn around you almost feel like you are in a different valley because you see things from a different perspective. It really makes the ride feel like you are going point to point instead of out and back.

13-_OLM4173.jpg

Also on the reserve is the Oudebosch Eco Cabins which make you feel about as close to nature as you can get. Just like the Mbali Collection they are glass fronted but they feature five four sleeper cabins with two separate bedrooms and a spacious kitchen, lounge and dining area. The type of place you can arrive on Friday evening with all your supplies and not leave till Sunday evening. A total mountain Emersion experience.

Apart from the MTB track there are plenty of hiking trails of various difficulties waiting to be explored. The shortest being just 3km and the longest being 24km. For those who enjoy multi-day hikes, there is a fantastic two day hike called the Highlands Trail which leaves from the Iona wine farm.

It’s safe to say that whatever sport or activity you enjoy other than your cycling, the Kogelberg area has access to it all.

CapeNature is offering free entry at selected CapeNature reserves during Access Week from 13 – 20 September.

For more information call 087 087 8250, email reservation.alert@capenature.co.za or visit https://www.capenature.co.za/events/access-week

7-_OLM4153.jpg

Comments

Shebeen

Sep 7, 2021, 12:40 PM

what...you can't do highlands road=> palmiet anymore? that sucks

EssBee

Sep 9, 2021, 6:49 AM

I rode there twice in December last year and quite enjoyed it in that it's vastly different to what I'm used to here in KZN. Both times I rode in from Kleinmond as far as I felt comfortable with then turned around and rode back. 

Days later I was looking at the area on Google Earth and realised that it would have been possible to get to Highlands Road, then head back down to the R44 and back to Kleinmond. ( not taking land access into consideration of course )

I must confess that both times I rode rogue....I was just too early the first time and the office at the boom was still closed. I then took the trouble to call them to ask if I could buy a permit on the previous day....I couldn't....so I asked what time they open and planned ride #2 accordingly. Well, they still were not open timeously so I went in regardless. I don't like doing things like that by principle....but I still can't figure where and when you get that permit.

Jbr

Sep 9, 2021, 7:28 AM

https://www.strava.com/activities/4982055657

To this day one of the best MTB rides I've done, not on the fun side but it was quite an adventure (in a good way, except for having to jump a couple of gates to rejoin the road on arabella side)

Knersboy

Sep 9, 2021, 8:04 AM

Me and the wife stayed there a few months back, didn’t take the bike though.

Look that place is next level mooi.

Theo-Augusta Van Rensburg

Sep 9, 2021, 9:05 AM

1 hour ago, Jbr said:

To this day one of the best MTB rides I've done, not on the fun side but it was quite an adventure (in a good way, except for having to jump a couple of gates to rejoin the road on arabella side)

1 hour ago, Jbr said:

Jumping gates is not accepted. Do you want intruders on your property?

Jbr

Sep 9, 2021, 9:11 AM

5 minutes ago, Theo-Augusta Van Rensburg said:

Jumping gates is not accepted. Do you want intruders on your property?

it was a gate to leave the kogelberg reserve to get back on the road, not the opposite. Sorry you had to create a profile to call me out on this though

Shebeen

Sep 14, 2021, 6:17 AM

On 9/9/2021 at 11:11 AM, Jbr said:

it was a gate to leave the kogelberg reserve to get back on the road, not the opposite. Sorry you had to create a profile to call me out on this though

except maybe not.

The higlands road=>palmiet river used to be open. according to this article it no longer is due to private property concerns.

THEREFORE you probably unknowingly trespassed at the point where it meets highlands road.

I've done this section quite a few times, sometimes in the gravity adventure festival as well as in adventure races i was a part of organising. further private land was used for the totalsports challenge from the Iona section of highlands. 

The first time I did it was in 2000, as part of a 4 day bikepacking trip. We had arranged permits to go UP from the R44 to highlands but the oke on the gate wouldn't let us as it was one way only then. We had to cycle back to stellenbosch on clarence drive instead.

It would be a real pity if this remained closed in perpetuity. I guess it has been shut either because there is no gate at highlands or because of trespassing riders with a flippen attitude. 

bikebloke

Sep 14, 2021, 6:40 AM

there is a gate from the back of the reserve which gives access to fire roads which connect with the highlands road . the gate has been locked for as long as i remember problem is the fence only goes 5 meters on either side of the gate and ends so it may block vehicles but not animals/people and bikes 

there is plenty of signage from the river crossing all the way up to gate telling MTB riders to turn back and no access etc but lots of riders dont 

so you dont have to 'jump' any gates you just walk around them (you still shouldnt do it though )

Jbr

Sep 14, 2021, 6:54 AM

so how come from that gate to the road there was no other gates ? an no, haven't seen any signage like that

bikebloke

Sep 14, 2021, 7:01 AM

51 minutes ago, Jbr said:

so how come from that gate to the road there was no other gates ?

there are a bunch of routes back to highlands road from the gate most dont have any other gates ,some of the roads are really bad or partially blocked doubt even a 4x4 could handle them so nobody goes that way 

signs probably burned in the fires 

Bos

Sep 29, 2021, 2:42 PM

OK, so I am heading to Kleinmond for a long weekend. I am doing the W2Whales in Nov so have enough motive to put one or two big days in.  From this thread I gather the highlands to Palmiet traverse as we did for the gravity festival a decade back is a no-no.

So this far I'm thinking of Using the highlands climb, to get to Lebanon, do some Lebanon, and back. However it may be just to far.. Perhaps park at Arabella.. Otherwise, ride to Wildekrans, ride there, and back. How far can one ride at Wildekrans? never done it. 

Will appreciate some feedback/advice. 

PhilipV

Sep 29, 2021, 4:18 PM

1 hour ago, Bos said:

OK, so I am heading to Kleinmond for a long weekend. I am doing the W2Whales in Nov so have enough motive to put one or two big days in.  From this thread I gather the highlands to Palmiet traverse as we did for the gravity festival a decade back is a no-no.

So this far I'm thinking of Using the highlands climb, to get to Lebanon, do some Lebanon, and back. However it may be just to far.. Perhaps park at Arabella.. Otherwise, ride to Wildekrans, ride there, and back. How far can one ride at Wildekrans? never done it. 

Will appreciate some feedback/advice. 

Stay away from Lebanon. It's a shanty town now. 

I'd suggest organizing a Hemel and Aarde day pass (snapscan?) and riding to hermanus via H&A. 

Perhaps meet the crew there for lunch?

Hairy

Sep 29, 2021, 4:18 PM

some really great photos in the article!

Bos

Sep 30, 2021, 11:48 AM

3 hours ago, PhilipV said:

Stay away from Lebanon. It's a shanty town now. 

I'd suggest organizing a Hemel and Aarde day pass (snapscan?) and riding to hermanus via H&A. 

Perhaps meet the crew there for lunch?

Thanks @PhilipV. Good to know Lebanon is not worth it. anymore. Some good gravel roads about though for distance. I know Hermanus quite well, perhaps worth a mission that way from the back through Karwyderskraal, through the back of Hemel and Aarde area.

Hairy

Sep 30, 2021, 12:13 PM

23 minutes ago, Bos said:

Thanks @PhilipV. Good to know Lebanon is not worth it. anymore. Some good gravel roads about though for distance. I know Hermanus quite well, perhaps worth a mission that way from the back through Karwyderskraal, through the back of Hemel and Aarde area.

Lebanon .... been a while since I have been there ......... #WarthogsRide #HogGames2006

DSC00253.JPG

DSC00202.JPG

DSC00226.JPG

MTBeer

Sep 30, 2021, 12:49 PM

35 minutes ago, Hairy said:

Lebanon .... been a while since I have been there ......... #WarthogsRide #HogGames2006

DSC00253.JPG

DSC00202.JPG

DSC00226.JPG

That first pic. the bar width shows the age of the photo

Add a comment

You must log in to comment