Adventure and Travel

Race report: Fedhealth MTB Challenge

· By BikeHubCoreAdmin · 1 comment

The Fedhealth MTB Challenge had me hooked from the moment I saw the route map and profile. The Durbanville trails make for some of the most enjoyable mountain bike riding in the Cape: panoramic views of Table Bay, golden canola fields and glorious sweeping single track descents. Even the climbs are “fun” tight switchbacks that keep you concentrating around every corner, helping you forget about your burning lungs while you try to keep your front wheel on the right line.

ccs-62657-0-59893900-1441801089.jpg

As a result of spending my weekends chasing single track, rather than putting in much needed base mileage, I experienced some serious butterflies on race day. Having recently bitten off more than I can chew in the stage race department, this race was my last ditch attempt to convince myself that as long as I take things slow and steady, I will not blow up.

ccs-62657-0-14093300-1441801342.jpg

The first 20km featured some very loose, dusty off-camber jeep track turns, which kept me on my toes and spread the field out quite quickly. Descending into Hillcrest for the first time, I headed too fast into a stile, totally misjudged the sharp corner on the exit and shot into the bushes like a lycra-clad missile. Happily for me, the gentle embrace of a tree kept me upright on my bike, and some dignity intact.

The ensuing climb up to the Contermanskloof mast was tough but incredibly rewarding, as the views were breath-taking, and followed by the roller coaster switchbacks of the Conterman’s blue route down. From there we meandered our way to Hoogekraal, and by now, I was grateful for my relaxed pace. It was getting hot and I was no longer feeling frisky. The water point was a welcome sight.

ccs-62657-0-83575600-1441801341.jpg

At the top of the Hoogekraal climb, I was disappointed to see that we weren’t directed down the Cobra as I had expected, but this was probably for the best, as the climb out is no joke. After another spectacular flowing singletrack descent down Hoogekraal, a gentle but gruelling climb took us up to the Lafarge quarry and the final water point of the day. The last climb up the Dorstberg, through the looming, post-apocalyptic cliffs of the quarry had me hunched over the bars whimpering. It seemed to go on forever.

The gate into Meerendal at the summit had blown closed, and embarrassingly, I was not strong enough to open it, and had to wait for the group behind me to catch up and assist. Time to work on some upper body strength perhaps.

ccs-62657-0-60137800-1441801341.jpg

Finally, we shot down the exquisite berms of Meerendal, to the finish line and some very welcome ice cold coke.

Now that my legs have recovered, I can describe the route as both entertaining and rewarding. I intend to be back next year, with some training miles under my belt to show that Dorstberg climb exactly who is the boss.

Related posts

Comments

Jewbacca

Sep 10, 2015, 7:03 AM

Well done Carbon Kylie! No base miles?.... your #strava says different....

Add a comment

You must log in to comment