Events

“Take 5” with Team Dimension Data during the Giro

· By Press Office · 0 comments

Professional cycling is a sport where marginal gains make a big difference. That’s why this May, Team Dimension Data for Qhubeka is inviting you to “Take 5” with us. By joining in our Take 5 campaign, you can help us to reach our goal of funding 5 000 bicycles through Qhubeka for people in Africa who need them to access education, healthcare and economic opportunity.

Qhubeka is a non-profit organisation that takes its name from an Nguni word that means “to carry on”, “to progress”, “to move forward”. Qhubeka believes that bicycles change lives through helping to overcome the barrier of distance and time.

Team Dimension Data for Qhubeka believes that #BicyclesChangeLives too. Qhubeka is the reason we clip in and ride, the incentive to go out and train, and our motivation to win races.

ccs-62657-0-32504400-1462434478.png

You might have noticed the Qhubeka logo on our jersey and in our name, but have you noticed the hands in the logo? The hands are a reminder that Qhubeka is about a hand up, not hand-out. Every person who receives a bicycle through a Qhubeka programme works to earn it, whether through improving their environment, community or academic results.

This is also why as a team we give a five-finger salute when we win races. It’s a symbolic reminder to us that through raising awareness and funds for Qhubeka we are helping to change lives through bicycles. The five fingers also remind us of our 5 000 bicycle goal for the year and that each bicycle we help fund will impact up to five lives.

“I’m looking forward to ride my first Giro d’Italia,” says Omar Fraile (pictured above, giving the five-finger salute). “It will be my first Grand Tour for Team Dimension Data for Qhubeka and I’ll do my best to represent the team out front, especially when the road goes up. Being able to show the big ‘Q’ with the green hand and raise awareness for our #BicyclesChangeLives campaign is a big motivation for me in this regard.”

Every time you see Team Dimension Data for Qhubeka racing during the month of May we want you to “Take 5” with us to increase our impact:

5 Fingers

We will be raising our five fingers any time we cross the finish line first, but we’d like to invite you raise five fingers any time you see at one of our races. It will motivate us to ride even harder not just for you – our fans – but for the people who are waiting for a bicycle through Qhubeka.

5 dollars

Head over to bicycleschangelives.org and donate $5 (or the equivalent in your local currency) to our #BicyclesChangeLives campaign. Every little bit counts and your donation will make a difference and help us reach our 5 000 bicycle goal. Each bicycle you help us fund impacts five lives.

“Give 5” t-shirt

As a memento of Team Dimension Data for Qhubeka’s first appearance in the Giro d’Italia, Qhubeka has produced a limited edition “Give 5” t-shirt. Five Euro/Dollars/Pounds will be donated to Qhubeka for each t-shirt sold. If you’d like to purchase a shirt, click here.

5 minutes

If you have five minutes, download our facebook header and add it to your page, add a twibbon on twitter or write a post about us on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter (Download some awesome graphics and photos to use here).

Team Dimension Data for Qhubeka at the 2016 Giro d’Italia
The Giro d’Italia is yet another amazing opportunity for our African Team to share our #BicyclesChangeLives message with the world. We are delighted to announce our nine-rider roster that will represent Team Dimension Data for Qhubeka over the coming three weeks.

We are also really proud that five of our African riders will start, including the South African national champion, Jaco Venter. He will get to show off the national jersey at the Giro d’Italia for the first time since 2012.

Riders will be tested to their limits over the 21 stages that make up the 99th edition of the Giro d’Italia. For further details on each of the stages, click here.

Comments

There are no comments yet. Why not add yours below.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment