Events

2016 Coronation Double Century entry process opens on 23 August

· By Press Office · 19 comments

Following the confirmation on Wednesday that, despite current extensive roadworks, the 24th Coronation Double Century will run on the traditional 202km route from Swellendam on 26 November 2016, the entry process will kick off on Tuesday, 23 August.

ccs-62657-0-82695100-1471617703.jpg

Entries for the 2015 event sold out in under 13 minutes (the quickest sell-out in the event’s history) and the decision has been taken to create a new tiered entry process for the 2016 event. Explaining the new process, David Bellairs, a director of the Cape Town Cycle Tour Trust (CTCTT), says “To facilitate some necessary increases, while endeavouring to contain costs as far as possible without impacting on the quality of the event and safety of the cyclists, three tiers of Team Entry fees have been created that cyclists can apply for:

Tier 1: R12 000 per Team Entry. Applications will open on Tuesday, 23 August from 1pm to 3pm. Successful applicants will be notified within 24 hours. Successful applicants then have 24 hours to pay for their Team Entry – failure to do so within this allotted time will result in the Entry being forfeited.

Tier 2: R10 200 per Team Entry. Applications will open on Thursday, 25 August from 1pm to 3pm. Successful applicants will be notified within 24 hours. Successful applicants then have 24 hours to pay for their Team Entry – failure to do so within the allotted time will result in Entry being forfeited.

Tier 3: R8 400. Applications will open on Monday, 29 August from 1pm to 3pm.

Successful applicants will be notified within 24 hours. Successful applicants then have 24 hours to pay for their Team Entry.

The total number of available Team Entry slots for this event will be limited to 250. We have however ensured that a minimum of one third of the total available Team Entries will be made available in Tier 3 at the lowest cost – as we do not want to discourage teams of limited financial means to miss out on the opportunity to also apply for an entry.”

“Because of the roadworks, the Cape Town Cycle Tour Trust has had to implement additional measures to ensure the safety of participants. In addition, the actual costs of putting on a premier event of this nature have seen significant increases over the past few years. The calculated cost of putting a single rider onto the road this year is in excess of R950, however we appreciate that this is a significant jump in cost,” he said.

To apply for a Team Entry, cyclists will need to log on by visiting the Coronation Double Century website www.coronationdc.co.za. It is advisable to have the following information handy: Team name and then the Team Captains details should be updated on our system.

The organisers have urged potential entrants to follow the event’s social media platforms via Facebook (www.facebook.com/CoronationDC) and Twitter (@TheCoronationDC) for up-to-the-minute updates during this entry process.

Related posts

Comments

Madone69

Aug 19, 2016, 4:54 PM

And so the money milking starts

MarcW

Aug 19, 2016, 5:39 PM

So when the roadworks are no longer a factor, the price will come back down to earth again ? I think not.

Abercrombie

Aug 19, 2016, 5:55 PM

Thanks but no thanks.

R12k for a team entry???

I suppose on the bright side it gives David a reason to get face time on tv again to explain the increase.

'Dale

Aug 19, 2016, 5:59 PM

Supply and demand, I reckon

It will still fill up yeah

Mongoose!

Aug 19, 2016, 6:50 PM

Greediness from mtb stage events finally blown over to road events all in the name of a money driven supply and demand ...

SSCC

Aug 20, 2016, 4:27 PM

Did you guys read the article before reacting to the entry price? At R1,000 per team member the organizers are just covering costs.

Malpiet

Aug 21, 2016, 8:41 PM

Well if the one tonner can go at R150 how can you justify a cost of R1000pp

IMHO I dont need food served to me at the finish because iam a fussy eater anyway.

Wannabe

Aug 22, 2016, 6:24 AM

Well if the one tonner can go at R150 how can you justify a cost of R1000pp

IMHO I dont need food served to me at the finish because iam a fussy eater anyway.

Which is most probably sponsored. (and not that great either...  :ph34r: )

Malpiet

Aug 22, 2016, 7:16 AM

Which is most probably sponsored. (and not that great either...  :ph34r: )

My main gripe is how do you justify a 55% increase in entry cost? as a % increase this is even above the EPIC!! yet you subjected to more neutral zones with crappy road conditions. 

Pure Savage

Aug 22, 2016, 7:34 AM

The events problem is that it was giving riders more value than they were paying for in the past. At R1000 per person its in line with the ASG events we have taken part in and they use Racetec. <3

At least any money they make, 50% goes to a charity so not the end of the world.

#CDC2016

Meezo

Aug 22, 2016, 8:02 AM

The events problem is that it was giving riders more value than they were paying for in the past. At R1000 per person its in line with the ASG events we have taken part in and they use Racetec. <3

At least any money they make, 50% goes to a charity so not the end of the world.

#CDC2016

...and into Tokai and Table Mountain :ph34r:

Pure Savage

Aug 22, 2016, 8:29 AM

...and into Tokai and Table Mountain :ph34r:

The other 50%  :ph34r:

Meezo

Aug 22, 2016, 6:50 PM

Dear Meezo

In an effort to ensure a clear understanding and in fairness to all potential participants of the 2016 Coronation Double Century, we have decided to delay the entry application process by a few days to afford us the opportunity to send you a further detailed communication.

As a result of the extended negotiations with all role players in respect of the route and route access, we have decided to give participants a little more time to familiarise themselves with both route conditions and the new proposed entry process.

Best wishes & safe cycling

Coronation Double Century Team

Email us: info@coronationdc.co.za

Call us: 087 820 7223

Please note this is sent from a "no reply" email address, should you have any queries please email us at info@coronationdc.co.za

Tjokkits

Aug 23, 2016, 4:15 AM

Dear Meezo

In an effort to ensure a clear understanding and in fairness to all potential participants of the 2016 Coronation Double Century, we have decided to delay the entry application process by a few days to afford us the opportunity to send you a further detailed communication.

As a result of the extended negotiations with all role players in respect of the route and route access, we have decided to give participants a little more time to familiarise themselves with both route conditions and the new proposed entry process.

Best wishes & safe cycling

Coronation Double Century Team

Email us: info@coronationdc.co.za

Call us: 087 820 7223

Please note this is sent from a "no reply" email address, should you have any queries please email us at info@coronationdc.co.za

So sre the entries opening today or are they dealying it further?

Meezo

Aug 23, 2016, 6:00 AM

So sre the entries opening today or are they dealying it further?

Creating further anticipation and more demand...

We were all worked up to enter... Perfect Marketing if you ask me

carbon29er

Aug 23, 2016, 6:41 AM

#CDC2016

And the other 50% either goes to an investment fund or gets spent on the mountain.

Monark

Aug 23, 2016, 6:50 AM

If it's too expensive then don't ride it. Full stop. Surely.

carbon29er

Aug 23, 2016, 6:54 AM

Supply and demand, I reckon

It will still fill up yeah

It will sell out. But is it really in the spirit of what the PPA is supposed to stand for? Particularly as there are so few road events in the Western Cape anyway? It's not exactly like they need the money.

Bloukrans

Aug 23, 2016, 7:37 AM

It will sell out. But is it really in the spirit of what the PPA is supposed to stand for? Particularly as there are so few road events in the Western Cape anyway? It's not exactly like they need the money.

Now that is a valid question.

Is the PPA's core mandate to be an association with the focus on investments, exploring investment growth etc.

I agree with responsible financial management but the core focus should be on spreading the financial love to grow the sport of cycling.

I want to remember the PPA as an association promoting cycling and not an association showing the biggest investments in the books

Add a comment

You must log in to comment