Events

2017 Cape Town Cycle Tour entry applications open on Wednesday

· By BikeHubCoreAdmin · 28 comments

The Cape Town Cycle Tour is turning 40 in 2017! We are excited to commemorate this massive milestone in the history of SA’s most iconic cycling event and you can be a part of it.

cape town cycle tour view.jpg

Grown from humble beginnings in 1978 when just 525 riders took part, 2017’s 40th event will see 35 000 cyclists line up in Hertzog Boulevard to tackle the spectacular 109-kilometre loop of the peninsula. In so doing, they will not only participate in the world’s largest timed cycling event, but be part of a special day in the history of the event.

The 40th Cape Town Cycle Tour will take place on 12 March 2017, reverting back to its traditional annual date – the second Sunday in March. In an effort to continuously refine and improve the entry application process, we are increasing the allocation of general entries in 2017 by 5000, while charities will be allocated 2000 entries.

The free application for a general entry will be possible from 1pm on Wednesday, 17 August and the application window will remain open until 4pm on Tuesday, 23 August 2016.

Details of the phased application process to secure a general entry to the 2017 Cape Town Cycle Tour is as follows:

1. Apply for a general entry:

From Wednesday, 17 August at 1pm to Tuesday, 23 August at 4pm, prospective riders can apply at www.capetowncycletour.com. Doing so amounts to an indication of interest only, and will not ensure an entry. Prospective entrants will be required to update their details at the same time.

2. Entry confirmation:

During the week of Monday, 29 August, successful applicants will receive confirmation emails from the Cape Town Cycle Tour Events Office to advise that they have been awarded an entry. Unsuccessful applicants will also receive an email notification and will be invited to enter via a supporting charity or by means of the official substitution process in February 2017.

3. Securing an entry:

Successful applicants will have until Monday, 5 September at 1pm to make payment to secure their entry. Payment not received by this date and time, or the applicant’s option to decline the entry, will result in that entry being made available to a previously unsuccessful rider. Local general entries will cost R510 per rider and PPA members will pay R480.

As part of the phased entry approach, loyal supporters of the event who have ridden 21 or more races will be invited to enter early – from the Monday, 15 August to Monday, 05 September – and will not be required to go through the general application entry phase.

Additionally, the general application entry phase will not apply to international entrants who may enter and pay to participate in the 40th Cape Town Cycle Tour anytime between Monday, 29 August 2016 and Friday, 24 February 2017.

Keep up to date with developments of the Cape Town Cycle Tour by liking our Facebook Page at www.facebook.com/cycletour or by following us on Twitter at @CTCycleTour.

For any event queries, or assistance with entries, please contact the Cycle Tour Events Office during office hours on 087 820 7223 or visit www.capetowncycletour.com.

Related posts

Comments

rock

Aug 15, 2016, 2:14 PM

R510???

and I bet the route will be the same as last time :)

Gonduir

Aug 15, 2016, 2:30 PM

With the same water stops and the same amount of papers in the goodie bag :(

Seems rather expensive for me this year. Last year i said to myself that i wouldn't enter because it was super expensive, this year its even more crazy.

G e r h a r d Odendaal

Aug 15, 2016, 3:42 PM

You have to wonder if this is still worth it

ThaStig

Aug 15, 2016, 3:51 PM

Is it only me, but I think the PPA misrepresented the procedure when requesting our membership renewal.

"PPA MEMBERSHIP RENEWALS 2015-2016

Your PPA membership fees are due on 1 July 2015. Paid-up PPA members will again be given the chance to enter the 2016 Cape Town Cycle Tour before entries open for the general public. Make sure you are on the ‘paid-up PPA members’ database’ and pay your subs during July to get your invite to enter the 2016 Cycle Tour early.

It did not mention anything about club 21 or more than 21 races.

I would like comment please

Boerklong

Aug 15, 2016, 4:19 PM

The problem is that if you dont pay R510 someone else will. It's too expensive, but I will probably end up paying that.

Pure Savage

Aug 15, 2016, 4:23 PM

Its  only R480 for PPA riders :D What a deal. And there is beer at the end.

Icycling

Aug 15, 2016, 4:34 PM

Is it only me, but I think the PPA misrepresented the procedure when requesting our membership renewal.

Your PPA membership fees are due on 1 July 2015. Paid-up PPA members will again be given the chance to enter the 2016 Cape Town Cycle Tour before entries open for the general public. Make sure you are on the ‘paid-up PPA members’ database’ and pay your subs during July to get your invite to enter the 2016 Cycle Tour early.

So PPA membership is dropping (not surprised, as there ROAD members, get a very short end of a stick) - so they send misleading emails using the Cape Town Cycle Tour (a ROAD event) to get members to join.

They spend money on MTB events consistently and not nearly enough money on ROAD funrides, thus the massive drop off of road funrides and ZERO leagues for the past year. Well that my opinion and thus I did not renew my PPA membership this year after been a member for 30 plus years.

Pure Savage

Aug 15, 2016, 4:45 PM

PPA members do not go into the lottery, you get a guaranteed ticker when the 5 days closes.

Capri Wheeler

Aug 15, 2016, 4:47 PM

With the new raffle entry system - does a CSA racing license guarantee one an entry?

Pure Savage

Aug 15, 2016, 4:53 PM

So PPA membership is dropping (not surprised, as there ROAD members, get a very short end of a stick) - so they send misleading emails using the Cape Town Cycle Tour (a ROAD event) to get members to join.

They spend money on MTB events consistently and not nearly enough money on ROAD funrides, thus the massive drop off of road funrides and ZERO leagues for the past year. Well that my opinion and thus I did not renew my PPA membership this year after been a member for 30 plus years.

Well the PPA One tonner was only R150 for PPA members, when last did you see that value :P I

Icycling

Aug 15, 2016, 4:57 PM

Well the PPA One tonner was only R150 for PPA members, when last did you see that value :P I

I only put the Cape Town Cycle tour entry in my one thread to show NO membership discount. I think R510 for full closed road round he Cape Town cycle tour route is very well priced. Other events round the world of this nature would attached a far higher price tag.

To pay R150 for a coke on non closed roads and been told by Think bike marshals for 160km to to stay left - I can go ride my bike alone and have lunch!!

DJR

Aug 15, 2016, 5:14 PM

.................... I think R510 for full closed road round he Cape Town cycle tour route is very well priced. Other events round the world of this nature would attached a far higher price tag..................

This is how I also feel!

porqui

Aug 15, 2016, 5:15 PM

You have to wonder if this is still worth it

You don't have to wonder. It is not worth it.

Less of everything - even straw bales.

I keep on doing it because I have done so many (consecutive)

Veebee

Aug 15, 2016, 5:26 PM

Hmmmm, maybe Discovery will pay for my flights...

J∆kk∆ls

Aug 15, 2016, 5:38 PM

I will keep doing what I love. I sure love to ride this tour!

Karman de Lange

Aug 16, 2016, 7:32 AM

No response yet from PPA about misleading advertising ?

Might have serious case for Consumper protection act for false advertising.

Captain Fastbastard Mayhem

Aug 16, 2016, 7:35 AM

Hmmmm, maybe Discovery will pay for my flights...

Yep. Live from 9th September! Or so I've been told and they communicated via thier emails. 

Pure Savage

Aug 16, 2016, 7:44 AM

No response yet from PPA about misleading advertising ?

Might have serious case for Consumper protection act for false advertising.

You get a guaranteed entry if you read the correspondence, there is no lotto for PPA. You enter in the coming week,  when it closes you get your entry. You pay, you train, you ride. Happy Chappy.

Tubehunter

Aug 16, 2016, 7:49 AM

Spring always feels like it's round the corner when CTCT entries open!

Karman de Lange

Aug 16, 2016, 7:50 AM

You get a guaranteed entry if you read the correspondence, there is no lotto for PPA. You enter in the coming week,  when it closes you get your entry. You pay, you train, you ride. Happy Chappy.

Yes, that what the emails said to entice renewals,  but latest posts on FB says no gaurentee. So either there PR guys don't know what going on (or very poor written english) or we all was suckered.

Icycling

Aug 16, 2016, 8:06 AM

Are people only joining PPA to get a Cape Town Cycle tour entry?

Does not surprise me - but is that a valid reason to make PPA look strong by their membership base - when as a cycling association they NOW do precious little for road cycling, in comparison to the amount of funds they receive from road cycling.

Capricorn

Aug 16, 2016, 8:06 AM

Yes, that what the emails said to entice renewals,  but latest posts on FB says no gaurentee. So either there PR guys don't know what going on (or very poor written english) or we all was suckered.

i got the mixed messages too. initial correspondence suggested a guaranteed invite AND ticket into the event. But the latest missive suggests its still a lottery for PPA members.

In fact, the latest missive sounds very much like the letter sent last year. Then, it was very clear from the get-go that it was a lottery for PPA members as well.

Karman de Lange

Aug 16, 2016, 8:25 AM

Now suggest if you NOT a member, you get in:

I think PPA seriously need to get there PR sorted

From Facebook:

If you hadn't been a PPA member, you would have had 10 months of free membership with the guarantee of a 2017 Cycle Tour entry slot.You would have been able to access all the benefits that are listed on the website,as a free member.

Pure Savage

Aug 16, 2016, 8:33 AM

Now suggest if you NOT a member, you get in:

I think PPA seriously need to get there PR sorted

But if you read the actual post it says once application process closes, within 24 hours you will receive your entry. If not you can mail them and they will sort it out. 

Relax as a 50% shareholder of the CTCTT I am sure PPA gets a preference.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment