Events

2017 Swartberg100 cancelled due to flood damage

· By Press Office · 0 comments

Prince Albert and environs experienced a massive flash flood on Sunday night the 9th of April, between the hours of 6 pm and 8:30 pm. The town’s water supply has been affected and houses have been flooded. Sadly the Swartberg Pass, a national monument, has been severely damaged, it is impassable and will remain so for many months while repair work is done. Further to this Meiringspoort has also been closed to traffic for the time being.

It is with great sadness that I have to announce the cancellation of the 2017 Swartberg100 Gran Fondo as it is not possible to repair the pass before the 29th of April. I have considered and researched other options during the course of the day, but the race route with the iconic Meiringspoort and Swartberg Pass and all the scenic connecting gravel is impossible to replicate.

A great thank you to all of you who have worked tirelessly so far in the run up the event. To our few sponsors that we have, thank you for the interest you have shown and for graciously accepting our final decision. To our marshals, sweep vehicles, medics, communications personnel, Department of Transport, traffic and police officers, Cycling South Africa, food and beverage vendors, and everyone involved in logistics on the day, thank you for your time and please keep that enthusiasm for next year.

Prince Albert is still a wonderful place to visit, so you can still spend the long weekend in the accommodation you have booked, explore the countryside, and enjoy the Olive and Food Market and other festivities. I will be organising a social ride on the Saturday the 29th that will take riders on a circular route through farmlands we have permission to ride on. I will look to provide a few options with pre-loaded GPS units for groups. please contact me on swartberg100@mtbafrica.co.za if you are interested.

All specific registered rider entries will be carried over to 2018.

We are also offering Gran Fondo and Medio Fondo riders a double your entry fee discount conversion on our Karoo GravelGrinder a 3 day adventure ride timed and registered on Strava with an annual Leaderboard. The ride takes place numerous times a year, dates will be announced.

Medio Fondo registrants R370.00 discount
Gran Fondo registrants R1070.00 discount

More information will be added to our Website this week. Click Here

Comments

There are no comments yet. Why not add yours below.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment