Events

2022 Cape Town Cycle Tour Set For Traditional March Date

Supplied by Cape Town Cycle Tour.

· By Press Office · 22 comments

Last year the Cape Town Cycle Tour was postponed to October 10 as a result of Covid restrictions with a limited field of 18 000. This year organisers have confirmed a larger capacity but Covid protocols will still apply.

CTCycleTour_2021_KS_-55.jpg

“After missing out on our traditional March date last year, we are delighted to be back to our usual date in 2022,” event director, David Bellairs said. “Last year we were oversubscribed with our limited field and glad that we can now expand the entry limit to accommodate more riders in 2022.”

Organisers also confirmed that the traditional pre-race Expo will go ahead this year after being limited in 2021. The Expo will take place at the Cape Town Stadium as part of the registration process.

CTCycle_Tour_2021_KS_-89.jpeg

Details of the registration process are still to be announced but Covid protocols will be in place as was the case in 2021.

“The safety of our riders during registration and the race itself is our top priority,” Bellairs continued

This year’s event will be the 44th edition

Entries are still available via the website www.capetowncycletour.com.

CTCycleTour_2021_KS_-149.jpg

Tags:

Related posts

Comments

mecheng89

Jan 21, 2022, 5:13 AM

I hope and pray the weather is identical to October's weather. 

EddieV

Jan 21, 2022, 9:34 AM

Do you still need to show a negative Covid test or proof of Covid vaccination?

ChrisF

Jan 21, 2022, 9:42 AM

35 minutes ago, EddieV said:

Do you still need to show a negative Covid test or proof of Covid vaccination?

EDIT - post updated, and Regs attached.

That is a CSA ruling ..... as per their covid policy document -

C19.JPG.a5f9638e223d183e4505089047dcf44c.JPG

So "Argus" riders should be fine with a Vaccination certificate only.  

Stage race riders are up the creek ..... As ALL participants should be tested (no vax bypass) - 12.3.1

This requires me to be tested for a ride a few months later, despite being fully vaccinated .... so let's see if they update it .....  Then again, I dont see any reference on that event's web about being affiliated to CSA ....

Then again ... since when do SA implement rules .... :ph34r:

BLUE PRINT FOR COVID 19 RISK MITIGATION PLANNING AND IMPLIMENTATION STRATEGIES - MASS PARTICIPATION FINAL.pdf

EddieV

Jan 21, 2022, 9:46 AM

Just now, ChrisF said:

That is a CSA ruling ..... as per their covid policy document.

That same document requires me to be tested for a ride a few months later .... so let's see if they update it .....

Then again ... since when do SA implement rules .... :ph34r:

Thx, I couldn't remember it being compulsory for the DC in November last year.. 

If they are going to enforce it, it would be nice to know beforehand. Could not find it on the CTCT page with a quick scan.

Skubarra

Jan 21, 2022, 9:50 AM

1 minute ago, EddieV said:

Thx, I couldn't remember it being compulsory for the DC in November last year.. 

If they are going to enforce it, it would be nice to know beforehand. Could not find it on the CTCT page with a quick scan.

Or just go get vaccinated then it would be a non-issue 😁

But seriously, I have done a few a few events after the CTCT and to date that was the only one where proof of vaccination was required. My guess would be no, unless its under government directives.

HdB

Jan 21, 2022, 9:52 AM

At least now that most age groups can get vaccinated, it should be slightly less of a problem this year.

We should be able to get our booster by end Feb (technically wifey could have gone earlier according to Discovery, being immunocompromised, but easier to be on the same schedule), so I should be good to go by Arrghust weekend.

EddieV

Jan 21, 2022, 10:08 AM

14 minutes ago, Skubarra said:

Or just go get vaccinated then it would be a non-issue 😁

But seriously, I have done a few a few events after the CTCT and to date that was the only one where proof of vaccination was required. My guess would be no, unless its under government directives.

😉 mmm ..  the Boland 100 Miler didn't enforce it either?

See CTCT entries are still open for PPA and general public? 

I'll check in closer to the race date, see if they announce test/vaccination prerequisites .... if mandatory, I'll give it a skip again.

ChrisF

Jan 21, 2022, 10:20 AM

9 minutes ago, EddieV said:

😉 mmm ..  the Boland 100 Miler didn't enforce it either?

See CTCT entries are still open for PPA and general public? 

I'll check in closer to the race date, see if they announce test/vaccination prerequisites .... if mandatory, I'll give it a skip again.

It is only a requirement for single day races with more than 2 500 people (total including riders and event staff) - 12.5.  

stillerjudith

Jan 23, 2022, 2:24 PM

I know this is a silly question, but can I do the cycle tour on my mtb? I know everybody these days have road bikes, but I simply can't afford another bike. I also realise the race will be much harder on my mtb, but I have entered and I am keen. Any advise?

'Dale

Jan 23, 2022, 2:40 PM

14 minutes ago, stillerjudith said:

I know this is a silly question, but can I do the cycle tour on my mtb? I know everybody these days have road bikes, but I simply can't afford another bike. I also realise the race will be much harder on my mtb, but I have entered and I am keen. Any advise?

If you have 2 wheels and pedals, you are good to go. There’ll be many others with broomstick bars. Train well! 😇

stillerjudith

Jan 23, 2022, 3:07 PM

26 minutes ago, 'Dale said:

If you have 2 wheels and pedals, you are good to go. There’ll be many others with broomstick bars. Train well! 😇

Thanks, that is probably all I need to hear.

Mamil

Jan 23, 2022, 3:23 PM

57 minutes ago, stillerjudith said:

Tons of people riding all sorts of bikes - BMXs, e-bikes, 150k UCI illegal road bikes, fat bikes .... licorice allsorts

stillerjudith

Jan 23, 2022, 3:25 PM

Great!

Spinnekop

Jan 24, 2022, 7:45 AM

17 hours ago, stillerjudith said:

If he can ride on (and in) this, you could do ANYTHING your heart desire.
Only one rule.  Enjoy the ride!!!!!

post-82-0-66163300-1300096073.jpg

Meezo

Jan 24, 2022, 7:54 AM

8 minutes ago, Spinnekop said:

If he can ride on (and in) this, you could do ANYTHING your heart desire.
Only one rule.  Enjoy the ride!!!!!

post-82-0-66163300-1300096073.jpg

Speak under correction but he wasn't allowed...

Did they not DQ him and change or update or remind folk about the dress code

Jewbacca

Jan 24, 2022, 8:01 AM

4 minutes ago, Meezo said:

Speak under correction but he wasn't allowed...

Did they not DQ him and change or update or remind folk about the dress code

He received very strongly worded emails that year. 

The rules were changed a year later when 5 more guys followed in Evan's footsteps. They were also reprimanded, warned off such tomfoolery etc.....

Rightly so. What was a great idea in theory was not a great idea in practice

Meezo

Jan 24, 2022, 8:14 AM

12 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

He received very strongly worded emails that year. 

The rules were changed a year later when 5 more guys followed in Evan's footsteps. They were also reprimanded, warned off such tomfoolery etc.....

Rightly so. What was a great idea in theory was not a great idea in practice

he just needed enough Karen's on social media to stand with him and could be very the "trending" apparel for the argursts to come

Jewbacca

Jan 24, 2022, 8:16 AM

1 minute ago, Meezo said:

he just needed enough Karen's on social media to stand with him and could be very the "trending" apparel for the argursts to come

No

Mankinis are not good for anything, ever. 

Pure Savage

Jan 24, 2022, 8:20 AM

3 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

No

Mankinis are not good for anything, ever. 

Are you telling me my dentist lied to me?

He said its important to floss regularly.

Meezo

Jan 24, 2022, 8:21 AM

Just now, Pure Savage said:

that's your gynae

Jewbacca

Jan 24, 2022, 8:28 AM

7 minutes ago, Pure Savage said:

Floss what exactly?! hahahaha

stillerjudith

Jan 24, 2022, 8:36 AM

😄 Well, now I feel better. I can save on not only a new bike, but on cycling shorts too.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment