Events

A great weekend escape at all new Gravel & Grape

· By Bike Hub Features · 7 comments

The Gravel & Grape is your window into the world of the Breedekloof Wine Valley. Three or two days of unbeatable riding (choose from three events!) through the Western Cape’s hidden gem wine region, over and across trails that will delight all levels of mountain biker. Even better, the Gravel & Grape takes place just an hour outside of Cape Town, starting and finishing each day at three different wine farms. The 2021 Gravel & Grape will take place 1-3 October.

73102217.jpg

The Breedekloof Wine Valley region is a favourite among wine connoisseurs and is fast earning a reputation as a family-friendly getaway with quaint bistros, cycling trails and wineries that go the extra mile when hosting their guests. This hospitality extends into the Gravel & Grape.

The riding terrain of the event covers vineyards, gravel roads and single track that is freshly prepared for the riders. Hosted by the local farming community, the Gravel & Grape is a fun and friendly experience for all who enter. The trails are technical and challenging, providing a true test of the rider’s mountain biking ability.

The main event is the Gravel & Grape Extreme 3-Day. The distances, for day one, two and three respectively are 35km, 55km and 50km. Even better, day one is a late afternoon/night ride!

Riders can look forward to a late afternoon start and a unique night-riding experience, starting and finishing at Botha Kelder. Day two starts and finishes at Dutoitskloof Wines while day three starts and finishes at Jason’s Hill Private Cellar.

For those on a “day budget”, the Gravel & Grape Extreme 2-Day is ideal (55km and 50km) – you don’t have to worry about leaving home on a Friday. Stage race beginners should tackle the Adventure 2-Day (35km and 30km).

73102273.jpg

The weekend of mountain bike fun takes place in and around the Breedekloof Wine Valley – the nearest town is Rawsonville – while the new race village format takes riders to different wineries each day. All the rides are clover-leaf format.

All three days – and both days on the 2-Day events – include a mixture of handbuilt single track, unrivalled wine valley scenery and well-stocked water points. Cross the finish line and enjoy a wide variety of wines from the region – the main reason for entering!

At R5400 per team entry, the Gravel & Grape Extreme 3-Day is excellent value for money and an ideal event for mountain bikers looking for a change of scenery.

The Extreme 2-Day is R3600 per team, while the Adventure 2-Day is R3300 per team.

E-bikes are also welcome at the Gravel & Grape.

Event Info

• gravelandgrape.com
  • 3-Day: 1-3 October 2021
  • 2-Day: 2-3 October 2021
  • Extreme 3-Day: R5400 per team of two
  • Extreme 2-Day (2-3 October): R3600 per team of two
  • Adventure 2-Day (2-3 October): R3300 per team two

73101912.jpg

Comments

Skubarra

Jul 29, 2021, 11:44 AM

This race is good fun, will do it again one day. Just weird that they insist on keeping the 2 member team format, think most social events have now moved beyond that?

MORNE

Jul 29, 2021, 1:29 PM

1 hour ago, Skubarra said:

This race is good fun, will do it again one day. Just weird that they insist on keeping the 2 member team format, think most social events have now moved beyond that?

they basically force people who really want to do it to make sure they get another person to do it? as in they get half the field to do half their work for them? 

ChrisF

Jul 29, 2021, 1:38 PM

1 hour ago, Skubarra said:

Not sure if I am missing something on their web ....

What is included in this cost ?

Just the entry ?  Or the full accommodation, food etc ?  The comments of driving in would suggest this just the "entry fee" ....

We LOVE the area, and have done many of the 1-day events in the area.  ALL these events combined still costs less than this single event ... Surely I must be missing something ...

aquaratza

Jul 29, 2021, 3:45 PM

Looks like fun... /me sends link to ebike buddy.

Also you know they're serious because they have a .com :D

Skubarra

Jul 30, 2021, 3:51 AM

14 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Not sure if I am missing something on their web ....

What is included in this cost ?

Just the entry ?  Or the full accommodation, food etc ?  The comments of driving in would suggest this just the "entry fee" ....

We LOVE the area, and have done many of the 1-day events in the area.  ALL these events combined still costs less than this single event ... Surely I must be missing something ...

The R2.7k per person would cover 3 days riding, 5 meals and a cycling jersey. Maybe not cheap but not a rip-off imo.

I have also done all or at least most 1 day events in the area but the event use different and mostly better routes imo, there would be very little overlapping with the other events you have done.

DieselnDust

Jul 30, 2021, 6:33 AM

Ciovita cycling Jersey and a pair of socks

And lunch on the days you are racing.

Bike wash and lube after every stage.

Accommodation is for your own account.

Great event and well organised. I'll definitely do it again but would prefer to do it solo and make a family weekend of it

ChrisF

Jul 30, 2021, 2:22 PM

Thanks gents.

Sounds like it is worth saving up for ....

Another vote for solo entry ....

Add a comment

You must log in to comment