Events

Absa Cape Epic 2017 early bird entries gone in 9 seconds

· By Press Office · 141 comments

The 100 Early Bird entries for the 2017 Absa Cape Epic sold out in 9 seconds on Monday.

“People around the world were obviously ready to press the ‘submit’ button when they opened at 3pm,” said race CEO Lynn Naudé. “Seconds later they had all been taken.”

Those who missed out on an early bird entry can apply through the lottery system, which opened as the early bird process closed and runs until May 30, 2016. There will be two separate lottery process – one for international riders and another for South African residents.

Professional riders can apply for a wildcard entry if they hold a valid UCI racing license and have appropriate racing qualifications.

Those riders wishing to support one of the official charities, can buy a charity entry and thereby support a good cause. Entries are also available for media on request, but are limited.

Lastly, Absa Cape Epic volunteers receive a guaranteed entry to the following year’s race.

Successful lottery entrants will be notified at the beginning of June, and can start their training programmes in anticipation of next year’s race. The cost is R67 900 per team for local entrants and USD 5 490 for internationals.

Those interested can register for the lottery on the website.

Entries for the first ever Cape Epic in 2004 sold out in three days. The next year they were all snapped up in four hours and 51 minutes. In 2010 the early bird system was introduced – selling out in less time each year.

The 2017 event will take place from 19 to 26 March.

The South African lottery is available to South African residents with a valid SA ID number. The lottery opens immediately after the Early Bird entries sell out, and closes on 30 May. South Africans will pay the SA Rand entry fee.

The International lottery for all riders without an SA ID number also opens immediately after the Early Bird entries are sold out, and closes on 30 May.

Related posts

Comments

'Dale

Mar 21, 2016, 4:59 PM

The world record over 100 m sprint is like 9.56 seconds

FCH

Mar 21, 2016, 5:07 PM

Almost a million bucks a second, only Guptas make cash faster

EmptyB

Mar 21, 2016, 6:43 PM

Clearly the Epic is not that popular anymore.....

SwissVan

Mar 21, 2016, 6:55 PM

Clearly the Epic is not that popular anymore.....

........... or internationals are desperate for the 100 discounted entries

9 seconds..... 6.7 million Ronds

Lexx

Mar 21, 2016, 7:39 PM

I think there will be a couple entries up for sale when the training have to get tougher and harder..

raptor-22

Mar 21, 2016, 7:54 PM

There's always entries for sale

Lexx

Mar 22, 2016, 12:10 PM

Yip, just a waiting game now..  :mellow:

Patchelicious

Mar 22, 2016, 12:17 PM

Judging by how many "celebs" rode this year, I am suprised any entries are actually "sold sold".

Seems all you need to do these days to get into the Epic is to have one good drop goal, cheaper than an entry if you ask me....

SwissVan

Mar 22, 2016, 1:43 PM

Judging by how many "celebs" rode this year, I am suprised any entries are actually sold sold.

Seems all you need to do these days to get into the Epic is to have one good drop goal, cheaper than an entry if you ask me....

Good point, what about those riders who are not even celebs and get a corporate sponsorship...for example those riders who get a complete corporate package (entry, kit, mechanics, massage, etc....) ABSA for example? 

I wonder if they (ABSA) pay for those entries at the going rate or get a discount or even worse for nothing because they are sponsors ?

nathrix

Mar 22, 2016, 2:05 PM

And to add to all these questions, why not allow gps tracking due to the live tracking available on the epic website for all to see and capture.

Patchelicious

Mar 22, 2016, 2:09 PM

Good point, what about those riders who are not even celebs and get a corporate sponsorship...for example those riders who get a complete corporate package (entry, kit, mechanics, massage, etc....) ABSA for example? 

I wonder if they (ABSA) pay for those entries at the going rate or get a discount or even worse for nothing because they are sponsors ?

They would most definately get entries in exchange for sponsorships, the value exchange makes sense.

If I swop something that cost me R20k but retails for R60k for something that you sell for R60k that only costs you R20k we both get something worth R60k for R20k. I understand ABSA/Dimension Data etc getting a few entries that they can give their top clients/partner/staff.

Its the semi local celebs (local celeb being an oxymoron) that get their entries sponsored for them that I dont get.

Patchelicious

Mar 22, 2016, 2:18 PM

And to add to all these questions, why not allow gps tracking due to the live tracking available on the epic website for all to see and capture.

This plus the contigent of ex Goeie More Suid Afrikaaaaaa guests add to the allure of this spectacle that we call .................. The ABSA Cape Epic, duh dan dan dan daaaahhhh.

How many okes can now simply call out at their new 'tjomma", hey "Slugger" or "lekker Jono" next time they see these rugby boys at Kingsmead. Shame how many wives have had to hear the following in the last few days. "You know babes, these exbokke are actually just like me and the ouens, lekker okes, could be one of my chinas, skim I should give Gary a call and tune him to come for a braai during one of the T20s".

The only celebs that I would like to see doing the Epic is Riaan Cruywagen and Julius Malema and they must be on the same team.

VicanZA

Mar 22, 2016, 2:18 PM

have spoken to some of these celebs not only did they get free entry, they also got 80k for a bike from a bank...

thats our money at work, the average guy in the street paying the bills.

Baracuda

Mar 22, 2016, 3:18 PM

This plus the contigent of ex Goeie More Suid Afrikaaaaaa guests add to the allure of this spectacle that we call .................. The ABSA Cape Epic, duh dan dan dan daaaahhhh.

How many okes can now simply call out at their new 'tjomma", hey "Slugger" or "lekker Jono" next time they see these rugby boys at Kingsmead. Shame how many wives have had to hear the following in the last few days. "You know babes, these exbokke are actually just like me and the ouens, lekker okes, could be one of my chinas, skim I should give Gary a call and tune him to come for a braai during one of the T20s".

The only celebs that I would like to see doing the Epic is Riaan Cruywagen and Julius Malema and they must be on the same team.

You could start a whole new thread on that - Name the ultimate Eric Celeb Team

SwissVan

Mar 22, 2016, 3:27 PM

have spoken to some of these celebs no only did they get free entry, they also got 80k for a bike from a bank...

Nothing personal....

GROAN

blondeonabike

Mar 22, 2016, 3:29 PM

have spoken to some of these celebs no only did they get free entry, they also got 80k for a bike from a bank...

The average oke who has been paying off their home loan with the bank.  The bank has already scored hundreds of thousands in interest from these people.  An 80k bike and an entry are peanuts in comparision

SwissVan

Mar 22, 2016, 3:32 PM

The average oke who has been paying off their home loan with the bank.  The bank has already scored hundreds of thousands in interest from these people.  An 80k bike and an entry are peanuts in comparision

Still bladdy hard to swallow

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view3/4561413/justin-bieber-blink-o.gif

blondeonabike

Mar 22, 2016, 3:47 PM

Still bladdy hard to swallow

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view3/4561413/justin-bieber-blink-o.gif

You have to cuddle up to the right people if you want to ride for free. 

Lexx

Mar 22, 2016, 3:59 PM

This is BS!!!!!!! 

They should rather give us those entries... But hey, Money talks i suppose.

SwissVan

Mar 22, 2016, 4:08 PM

You have to cuddle up to the right people if you want to ride for free. 

in a one man tent nogal

GLuvsMtb

Mar 22, 2016, 4:13 PM

This is BS!!!!!!!

They should rather give us those entries... But hey, Money talks i suppose.

Yes! Amandla! Power to the people! <and all that cr@p>
Lexx

Mar 22, 2016, 4:20 PM

Why isn't Vanessa Haywood Riding anymore 

Wont mind sharing a Tent at the Epic with her.  :wub:

Kranswurm

Mar 22, 2016, 4:24 PM

Why isn't Vanessa Haywood Riding anymore 

Wont mind sharing a Tent at the Epic with her.  :wub:

Running instead??

kosmonooit

Mar 22, 2016, 4:28 PM

Also the pros .. do they pay? Are they 'invited'? what costs are covered?

I kinda have had a hunch that they lay it on for them, and random celebs, to add to the hype and allure

Add a comment

You must log in to comment