Events

Absa Cape Epic to impose lifetime ban for doping and increase in competition testing

· By Matt · 59 comments

The Absa Cape Epic, the most televised mountain bike stage race in the world, has announced that it will tighten its rules regarding anti-doping by introducing a lifetime ban for future offenders in the wake of the first high-profile doping case in South African mountain biking.

In November, the South African Institute for Drug-Free Sport (SAIDS) announced that top cyclist and Absa Cape Epic contender, David George, tested positive for the banned drug, EPO (Erythropoietin) and would face a charge of doping at an independent tribunal. George has officially been given a two-year ban, prohibiting him from cycling professionally for this time period. SAIDS indicated that only results dating back to 29 August this year can be erased, thus George’s 2012 Absa Cape Epic results will remain unaffected. With his riding partner Kevin Evans, George finished in second place overall in this year’s Absa Cape Epic, his best performance in the event to date. George has also won the Absa African Jersey at the Absa Cape Epic three times (2008, 2009, and 2012) and, together with Evans, was a strong contender to be the first all South African team to win the race next year.

Says Kevin Vermaak, founder of the race: “As of 1 January 2013, any athlete (professional or amateur) caught using performance enhancing substances, whether at another event or out of competition, will be banned for life from participating in the Absa Cape Epic. Not only will the person not be allowed to participate (as an amateur rider or UCI- licensed elite), but the individual will also be banned from being involved on any level including as a team manager. This is harsher than what is required currently by any federation, but is our considered opinion of what should be enforced even on a wider scale with regards to event participation of convicted dope cheats.”

Vermaak continues: “We’ve chosen not to apply this retrospectively because we believe that would be naive. As has been exposed in recent months, cycling has a dark past. Many riders from this previous era have rediscovered the joy of cycling as mountain bikers and participate in the Absa Cape Epic as their expression of riding clean. Previous offenders, who have served their suspension term, may ride future Absa Cape Epics. We want to be part of the new era of cleaner cycling, and therefore only future offenders will receive the lifetime bans.

“Since the Absa Cape Epic was awarded UCI HC status, we’ve invested more than R800 000 into our anti-doping programme at the race and to date have only recorded one positive in-competition test at the event by an amateur,” says Vermaak.

The Absa Cape Epic anti-doping programme is overseen by the UCI appointed Doping Control Officer who works with the South African Institute for Drugfree Sport (SAIDS) to test athletes. Vermaak adds: “With the financial help of our sponsors, we will increase our investment in this programme for 2013 by increasing the number of athletes tested. We’ll also increase the time-window classified as in-competition testing.”

The Absa Cape Epic has been the catalyst in making the sport of mountain biking more professional in South Africa over the past 10 years. “The prize monies have been increased to R1 million in 2013 which consolidates the event’s position as largest prize purse in the world of endurance mountain biking. We also provide much greater media value output for team sponsors as this year’s event received over 4 000 hours of global television coverage. We feel that our uncompromising stance on dope cheats is another step in making not only South African mountain biking more professional, but also improving this discipline on a global scale. Obviously our actions alone can’t keep the entire sport of mountain biking clean, but I want to be 100% certain that we, as one of the most competitive mountain bike stage races in the world, are doing everything possible to play our role in the quest to eradicate doping in mountain biking,” Vermaak concludes.

*There has been only one reported incident of doping during the Absa Cape Epic when amateur cyclist Wayne Collin tested positive for the anabolic agent, Boldenone and a diuretic, Hydrochlorothiazide, in this year’s (2012) event. Collin is set to appear before the SAIDS tribunal on 24 January 2013. The Absa Cape Epic was only made aware of Collin’s positive test in December 2012 – 9 months after the positive test. Cycling SA did not notify the Absa Cape Epic according to standard protocol, and as requested by the SAIDS. The Absa Cape Epic will await the outcome of the SAIDS tribunal in January before amending their 2012 results. Collin remains suspended from all competition until his case is concluded.

Comments

slabs

Dec 18, 2012, 8:08 AM

Wayne Collin

@etsystems

Coach to many - changing lives - achieving goals!!

KZN SA · http://www.enhancedtrainingsystems.com

Red Zone

Dec 18, 2012, 8:24 AM

A nice little article about Wayne

http://theridgeonline.co.za/an-epic-tale/

I see the link to his company isn't working, perhaps he has pulled the plug on the coaching business.

sluiper

Dec 18, 2012, 8:33 AM

You guys are so biased! How do you expect him to be an effective coach if he hasn't tried out PEDs firsthand? Really!

'Dale

Dec 18, 2012, 8:34 AM

You guys are so biased! How do you expect him to be an effective coach if he hasn't tried out PEDs firsthand? Really!

:-D

Bianchi

Dec 18, 2012, 8:36 AM

Saw that on CycleNation's blog now now.

Also saw that the Cape Epic will be imposing a GTFO if you've been caught previously.

GrumpyOldGuy

Dec 18, 2012, 8:43 AM

laugh.png laugh.png - Oh the irony of it.!
bradwentzel

Dec 18, 2012, 8:47 AM

Moving up positions daily! Soon I will be in the top ten too!

DJR

Dec 18, 2012, 8:58 AM

IRONY with capital letters. In "masters" too - at an age that "I was young and stupid and pressed into it" can no longer be used as an excuse. For his sake I hope he has a good (non post dated) doctors note.

Agteros

Dec 18, 2012, 9:08 AM

Good that they start testing amateurs / non-elite riders. However it will open a big can of worms for those who are competitive AND take all kinds of medicine (for apparent legitimate reasons). To those who are not taking 'medicine' for legitimate health reasons: Good!!! Testing outside the elite groups is LONG overdue!

'Dale

Dec 18, 2012, 9:13 AM

Moving up positions daily! Soon I will be in the top ten too!

Hang in there, man.

laugh.png laugh.png

Headshot

Dec 18, 2012, 9:17 AM

From my rumour mill - the amateur dopin scene is way bigger than Mr Collin.

Trubie

Dec 18, 2012, 9:25 AM

From my rumour mill - the amateur dopin scene is way bigger than Mr Collin.

its not a rumour

tombeej

Dec 18, 2012, 9:28 AM

It's the first time I've heard of someone being pinned for Boldenone (not one of the usual suspects) so I looked it up.

According to Wikipedia "It has a very long half-life, and can show up on a steroid test for up to 1.5 years, due to the long undecylenate ester attached to the parent steroid. Trace amounts of the drug can easily be detected for months after discontinued use."

Well there you go, of course no self-respecting doper would touch this stuff - the glow period is frikking huge.

The only way Mr Collin could have taken this stuff is (1) if he had not done his research or (2) if he thought he'd never be tested.

Yes, so glad to hear the amateur ranks will be tested now as well. As soon as a decent easy-to-use HGH test becomes available then we might just see some serious numbers.

sluiper

Dec 18, 2012, 9:31 AM

Good that they start testing amateurs / non-elite riders. However it will open a big can of worms for those who are competitive AND take all kinds of medicine (for apparent legitimate reasons). To those who are not taking 'medicine' for legitimate health reasons: Good!!! Testing outside the elite groups is LONG overdue!

The problem is that we as amateurs don't really pay too much attention to what we're putting in our bodies. And why should we? It's not like our careers depend on it.

As an example: I got sick a week or so before Die Burger. I stayed in bed for a few days and doped myself up on Sinutab, Coryx and whatever else I could find. By the Wednesday before the race I was feeling a bit better, did one practice ride and then Die Burger. I wasn't in great condition and let go some awesome snotters, but still managed to hold on to my group.

If I had been tested, I'm guessing I would have tested positive for something illegal. Under the Epic's rules, had I been caught, I would have been banned for life.

In my opinion, it's kind of absurd to hold amateur athletes to the same standards as professionals.

Trubie

Dec 18, 2012, 9:35 AM

The problem is that we as amateurs don't really pay too much attention to what we're putting in our bodies. And why should we? It's not like our careers depend on it.

As an example: I got sick a week or so before Die Burger. I stayed in bed for a few days and doped myself up on Sinutab, Coryx and whatever else I could find. By the Wednesday before the race I was feeling a bit better, did one practice ride and then Die Burger. I wasn't in great condition and let go some awesome snotters, but still managed to hold on to my group.

If I had been tested, I'm guessing I would have tested positive for something illegal. Under the Epic's rules, had I been caught, I would have been banned for life.

In my opinion, it's kind of absurd to hold amateur athletes to the same standards as professionals.

not if they also earn prize money - some are sponsored heavily too

DawieO

Dec 18, 2012, 9:36 AM

"Boldenone undecyclenate is a very popular steroid. This steroid is only available legally at a veterinarian clinic." Guess that blows out the "medical reasons", unless there are even bigger issues...

sluiper

Dec 18, 2012, 9:37 AM

Then they're not really amateurs, are they?

slabs

Dec 18, 2012, 9:40 AM

There is no way that they will test all amateurs, but there are many that compete in the top 50 and these are the ones that will and should be targeted. Then again, they must be idiots to do it. Just for bragging rights or the odd sponsor to an event, as they are not making money from it. If that is the case good riddance to those caught. Maybe for them a similar award as the Darwin award!

Bianchi

I know of a lot of riders that do stuff like the Epic, etc, and get sponsored (where sponsors shell out up to R500k a year), but while riding for enjoyment and not necessarily for prize money (although this would be a bonus).

At the same time, when you register with CSA, you agree to be held to that standard.

Trubie

Then they're not really amateurs, are they?

nope they not - but they dont earn their living from cycling. They just supplement their income from it yes

but they race in vets cat's which is perceived to be amateur categories

DawieO

Dec 18, 2012, 9:47 AM

Vet (erinarian) category?

Agteros

Dec 18, 2012, 9:50 AM

Vet (erinarian) category?

clap.gif

Some should race in that category - based on where some of the 'medicines' allegedly come from eek.gif and not in Veteran Men (40+)

'Dale

Dec 18, 2012, 10:01 AM

I'm sure a lot of amateurs take the PEDs just to help them finish.

This action will send some chills up the spines of those that brag about their Epic race board which was earned on drugz.

gummibear

Dec 18, 2012, 10:05 AM

I'm sure a lot of amateurs take the PEDs just to help them finish.

This action will send some chills up the spines of those that brag about their Epic race board which was earned on drugz.

PEDs won't help you finish a race if you not fit.Peds will give you a little advantage at elite fitness level.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment