Events

Acknowledging our women cyclists this August: Erica Green

· By Matt · 1 comment

Erica Green lived in Switzerland and worked with horses in the Equestrian sport of dressage and it was there, in Europe, where she discovered mountain biking in 1991. Upon her return to Somerset West, Erica slotted in with her local cycling club and started road and track cycling with her club mates.

20130818_Erica_Green_still_photo_160x200.jpg
Erica Green

Vital Stats

Date of birth:
25-09-1970

Hometown:
Somerset West,
Western Cape

Currently lives:
Somerset West

Team:
DCS

Pretty soon, Erica’s natural cycling ability and talent saw her representing South Africa at the 1993 Track Cycling World Championships in Norway, competing in the Women’s Individual Pursuit. Erica set an African record that stood for 10 years, and needless to say, the competitive cycling bug had bitten.

Her inspiration came from Alta Kriegler, who was brilliant in road cycling and mountain biking, and Erica wanted to be as successful in her cycling career as Alta was.

Erica’s greatest achievement was when she represented South Africa at two Olympic Games; in road and mountain biking at the 1996 Atlanta Games, and in mountain biking at the 2000 Sydney Olympics. Her 17th place at the Atlanta Olympics is her very best personal achievement.

When Erica was racing, she would spend 15-20 hours per week training. Today, she only trains when the time allows, but still manages to put in 8-10 hours per week.

“I would like to be remembered for being able to ride a bike well – in all disciplines, but sadly I didn’t try BMX back then.”

The hardest part of being a woman cyclist?
“You’re on your own. In my racing days, finding sponsorship as an individual female athlete was literally unheard of. It was most stressful worrying about not only your training and racing, but realistically where the next cent would come from to achieve the huge commitment of qualifying for Olympics and all that comes with it.”

20130818_Erica_Green_action_photo_560.JPG

Comments

janscannell

Aug 20, 2013, 8:14 PM

Respect!!! Erica used to be my coach. She's amazing.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment