Events

Acknowledging our women cyclists this August: Mariske Strauss

· By Matt · 3 comments

Mariske Strauss remembers trying to ride a bicycle, as she recalls, “When I was a serious spring chicken”. She tried to ride her little BMX bike without the training wheels but could not get it right. Her stubbornness and determination saw her through this ‘rough patch’, and when she saw her father (Bryan) and her brother cycling competitively, she knew she could do it.

Mariske_Strauss_160x200.JPG
Mariske Strauss

Vital Stats

Date of birth:
16-05-1991

Hometown:
Durbanville,
Western Cape

Currently lives:
Durbanville

Team:
Orange Monkey
Pro Team
(all UCI events);
Contego/Giant
(non-UCI events)

She started racing at age 11, in the National series. “I was hooked and I’ve never looked back. I can’t imagine life without this amazing sport, as well as the super people you met.”

Mariske draws her inspiration from so many people and places, with her faith playing a major role in every aspect of her life. “The world is such an amazing place if you open your heart to it.”

With Varisty of major importance in her life, Mariske still finds time to put in quality training and race cross-country mountain bike at a very high level, representing South Africa in several UCI World Cups and World Championship events in the under-23 category.

Having 9 consecutive SA National Championship titles to her name lists as one of Mariske’s greatest achievements, but she also claims that winning the USA National Collegiate Cyclo Cross Championships in 2012, and finishing second in the 2012 USA Road National Championship as highlights. Mariske is also the Junior African Continental XCO Champion, SA XCO Champion from 2002-2009, and SA Cup Series Champion from 2002-2005 and 2007-2008.

“I would like to be remembered for bringing joy, loving life and living life to my utmost. Helping where I can and hopefully inspiring others to live their dream.”

The hardest part of being a woman cyclist?
“Well, I guess I don’t really see anything as being hard, I see ‘hard’ as being your perception. Finding something hard, rather than seeing it as a good challenge, is my difference between positive and negative.”

Mariske_Strauss_560.JPG

Comments

Azonic

Aug 22, 2013, 7:48 AM

Raced against her dad in 1998. Demon.

Gerlach

Aug 22, 2013, 11:03 AM

You go Strauss!!! Die girl het n helse talent op die bike, en van die bike ook af is sy altyd n nice mens ook en vol grappies!! Maak ons trots einde van die maand by die UCI race!!!

LazyTrailRider

Aug 22, 2013, 8:20 PM

Ended up trying to stay with her on a 6km climb in a race when I was at peak form a few years ago. Almost died, and she dropped me as we crested anyway. She's a machine!

Add a comment

You must log in to comment