Events

Acknowledging our women cyclists this August: Robyn de Groot

· By Matt · 3 comments

Robyn de Groot began her cycling career on the road in 2005 through a good support structure of friends and family who believed in her dreams and goals. Their tremendous encouragement saw her pursue professional cycling and represent her country on more than one occasion.

20130818_Robyn_DeGroot_still_photo_160x200.JPG
Robyn de Groot

Vital Stats

Date of birth:
26-12-1982

Hometown:
Johannesburg,
Gauteng

Currently lives:

Johannesburg

Team:
No sponsor

From 2006, Robyn had already signed for the Proline Computers team, where she raced until 2008. She then shifted her focus to full time cycling in 2009 through to 2012, racing for teams such as Nashua, MTN, and Momentum Toyota in recent years when racing in South Africa.

With the 2012 London Olympics and a pro cycling career in Europe racing for the Belgian-based Lotto Belisol Ladies Team under the belt, Robyn committed to participating in the 9-day joBerg2c mountain bike stage race with her father earlier this year, and made the shift toward mountain biking. “I haven’t looked back,” she says.

Robyn believes that if you do what you love, you will find inspiration from the simplest things in life. And in living by this, Robyn’s love for cycling, as well as her passion and determination, saw her represent her country in both the mountain biking and the road cycling World Championships. Her most recent achievement was when she was crowned National Mountain Bike Marathon Champion this year.

When she was racing as a professional, Robyn’s training would take between 15 and 23 hours per week, but today it depends on the availability of her time, and she puts in about 13-15 hours a week of quality training.

“I would like to be remembered for doing what I love and for being a good sports woman who is true to herself.”

The hardest part of being a woman cyclist?
“It’s not hard ;)

20130818_Robyn_DeGroot_action_photo_560.JPG

Comments

mmduplessis

Aug 20, 2013, 6:49 PM

awesome!

D Vader

Aug 21, 2013, 7:24 AM

Watch this 'space', still great things to come!!!

Cylon

Aug 21, 2013, 9:22 AM

I went to school with Robin. She's a really great gal!

Add a comment

You must log in to comment