Events

Adverse Analytical Finding returned during in-competition test

· By BikeHubCoreAdmin · 66 comments

Cycling South Africa reports that Craig Stone returned an adverse analytical finding in an in-competition test conducted by the South African Institute for Drug-Free Sport (SAIDS) on 11 May 2013.

ccs-41808-0-60178700-1382616962.jpg

The analytical report confirmed the presence of the Glucocorticosteroid Prednisone and its metabolite, Prednisolone in his urine sample. Craig is therefore provisionally suspended with immediate effect from competing in any event. The SAIDS process will now take its course.

Cycling South Africa respects the independence of the SAIDS process and will respect the outcome. Cycling SA further reiterates its zero-tolerance approach to doping in sport and will continue working with SAIDS in the promotion of a drug-free sport via its awareness programmes and extensive testing.

Comments

Eldron

Oct 24, 2013, 12:28 PM

The usual. Ban him from the sport. No freebie epic rides, no presenter duty on supersport, no local church race, no nothing. Get. Him. Out.

Farkin cheater.

SwissVan

Oct 24, 2013, 12:30 PM

WTFlock is Craig Stone?

Please say its not another fun rider

Eldron

Oct 24, 2013, 12:32 PM

WTFlock is Craig Stone?

Please say its not another fun rider

Nah. A proper doper rider. Ranked 42nd on the UCI marathon list (thank you google).

deanbean

Oct 24, 2013, 12:41 PM

Nah. A proper doper rider. Ranked 42nd on the UCI marathon list (thank you google).

Can't be doing it right :devil: , because I've never heard of him

Spinnekop

Oct 24, 2013, 12:41 PM

Weird stuff that he was caught with....not the usual suspect medicine thingies. Maybe I googled wrong.

And yes.......not a front runner in the bunch. So one can only assume it is another fun rider.

Should SAIDS not focus on the professionals when it comes to testing? It would rather seem stupid to waste money just to send the fun rider home and get a good PR exercise from it?

Well....that is just me. I would rather like to see rigorous testing on the top 50 guys in the country than some random back marker at the fun rides we attend.

I do it of fun. For the fitness of it. But there are pros that are making a living out of it......

It is like the family man trying to balance his budget at home and then PWC coming in for a full blown audit on his excel sheet.......

Good luck with that SAIDS.........

'Dale

Oct 24, 2013, 12:42 PM

Oi

Here we go again

:nuke: :nuke: :nuke:

Spinnekop

Oct 24, 2013, 12:42 PM

I stand corrected then......interesting.

Not a name you hear in the races....

Eldron

Oct 24, 2013, 12:44 PM

And yes.......not a front runner in the bunch. So one can only assume it is another fun rider.

I'm sure he falls into the middleweight category - wasn't he with Momsen/Coffeeberry last year?

Meh - I'll google some more :-)

He won the 2012 Imana Wild Ride, Top 10 Sani2C this year and registered to ride the 2014 epic (I'm guessing that won't happen anymore).

Wheelsuck

Oct 24, 2013, 12:47 PM

If he is such an non-event then how did they know to test him?

Thorn199

Oct 24, 2013, 12:47 PM

Knowing Craig personally, and looking at the features of Prednisone & Prednisolone, I would speculate that his was an ingestion of an anti-imflammatory / decongestant / hemorrhoid medication that had these active ingredients, and not an attempt to gain an advantage though 'doping'.

Eldron

Oct 24, 2013, 12:57 PM

Knowing Craig personally, and looking at the features of Prednisone & Prednisolone, I would speculate that his was an ingestion of an anti-imflammatory / decongestant / hemorrhoid medication that had these active ingredients, and not an attempt to gain an advantage though 'doping'.

The sad fact is that yoou may be right but 2 decades of dopers have made the general public rather deaf to I didn't do it/It was accidental/My mother chicken had cocaine in it pleas.

Whatever way you look at it - glucocorticosteroids benefit those taking them (illegally benefit).

Daideron

Oct 24, 2013, 1:06 PM

Well, some say it is a PED and others say its quite the contrary, to the point it retards performance.

But, it was picked up in a test so there must be a reason for that.

If it was taken as a prescribed medicine he wont have to worry because he will have the paperwork and Doctor to validate this. If not, I hear the villagers with their pitchforks closing in

V12man

Oct 24, 2013, 1:12 PM

Prednisone is often used in the treatment of Asthma and as an adjunct to therapy in chest and related infections - usually it is prescribed - so lets wait and see - maybe he forgot to get a TUE....

V12man

Oct 24, 2013, 1:14 PM

Well, some say it is a PED and others say its quite the contrary, to the point it retards performance.

Certainly he would gain weight using it in the course of normal therapy - 3 - 5 kg would be my guess on a 5 day course...

Thug

Oct 24, 2013, 2:35 PM

If he is such an non-event then how did they know to test him?

Maybe he has big tats? ;)

Java001

Oct 24, 2013, 2:44 PM

Prednisone is often used in the treatment of Asthma and as an adjunct to therapy in chest and related infections - usually it is prescribed - so lets wait and see - maybe he forgot to get a TUE....

Drugfreesport has the following to say about it:

PREDNISONECategory: PROHIBITED in-competition only

Last Upated: Fri, 04 Jan 2013

Information

Prohibited substance: PREDNISONE - refer to section S9 (Glucocorticosteroids) of the WADA 2013 Prohibited List:

All glucocorticosteroids are prohibited when administered ORAL, INTRAVENOUS, INTRAMUSCULAR or RECTAL ROUTES.

Find out more and Search on wikipedia

So is it OK to use out of competition - say a few days before a race ?

TALUS

Oct 24, 2013, 2:45 PM

But, it was picked up in a test so there must be a reason for that.

If it was taken as a prescribed medicine he wont have to worry because he will have the paperwork and Doctor to validate this. If not, I hear the villagers with their pitchforks closing in

I will be holding back with my pitchfork. This is not a very hightech PED. Very common in treatment of many conditions - including skinrashes (even saddlesores). Let us just get a bit more info. All will be told.
Sworks20

Oct 24, 2013, 2:50 PM

The sad fact is that yoou may be right but 2 decades of dopers have made the general public rather deaf to I didn't do it/It was accidental/My mother chicken had cocaine in it pleas.

Whatever way you look at it - glucocorticosteroids benefit those taking them (illegally benefit).

I know Craig personally myself and 1st off he is new to mtbing and he has posted some very solid results like a top 10 at Sani for starters he is no fun rider and will ride 98% of this Hub off his wheel with 1 leg.

2ndly on this positive its medication which he was prescribed by a Dr. He has a hearing soon that he has to present evidence like TUE etc and from that the outcome will be whatever it will be.

3rdly You people on here are so quick to judge anyone "put him in jail" "ban him forever" BS and for what when there may be a perfectly honest explanation to this.

The products are also only banned in competition not out and dont have any major advantage and is used in a wide variety of medication that you get over the counter to treat rashes etc to name a silly example.

V12man

Oct 24, 2013, 3:24 PM

Drugfreesport has the following to say about it:

PREDNISONECategory: PROHIBITED in-competition only

Last Upated: Fri, 04 Jan 2013

Information

Prohibited substance: PREDNISONE - refer to section S9 (Glucocorticosteroids) of the WADA 2013 Prohibited List:

All glucocorticosteroids are prohibited when administered ORAL, INTRAVENOUS, INTRAMUSCULAR or RECTAL ROUTES.

Find out more and Search on wikipedia

So is it OK to use out of competition - say a few days before a race ?

Well - yes - BUT - in general, no doctor, myself included is going to care about a patients athletic events - we treat the patient as best possible - and ONLY if they ask, will we look up if it is in the prohibited list, and fill in the TUE doc.

NOT asking, and then not checking yourself (because it's public information) is ONLY the athletes responsibility.

gtr1

Oct 24, 2013, 8:14 PM

No excuses. If it's on the banned list and you get caught with it, you're guilty. Lance also took stuff for saddle sores. Look where that has got him.

Unless you have a legitimate TUE, unlike Lance who got one after being caught.

Eldron

Oct 25, 2013, 4:49 AM

I know Craig personally myself and 1st off he is new to mtbing and he has posted some very solid results like a top 10 at Sani for starters he is no fun rider and will ride 98% of this Hub off his wheel with 1 leg.

2ndly on this positive its medication which he was prescribed by a Dr. He has a hearing soon that he has to present evidence like TUE etc and from that the outcome will be whatever it will be.

3rdly You people on here are so quick to judge anyone "put him in jail" "ban him forever" BS and for what when there may be a perfectly honest explanation to this.

The products are also only banned in competition not out and dont have any major advantage and is used in a wide variety of medication that you get over the counter to treat rashes etc to name a silly example.

In this case its guilty until proven innocent - tests proved that he has a banned substance in his system.

If Craig produces a TUE dated prior to the test I will delete my posts and issue an apology but until then my pitchfork, tar and feathers attitude remains.

Sworks20

Oct 25, 2013, 4:53 AM

In this case its guilty until proven innocent - tests proved that he has a banned substance in his system.

If Craig produces a TUE dated prior to the test I will delete my posts and issue an apology but until then my pitchfork, tar and feathers attitude remains.

There is so much wrong in that way of looking at things in life it's not even worth a detailed response.

I wish you all the best in your poor narcistic life.

Sworks20

Oct 25, 2013, 4:55 AM

No excuses. If it's on the banned list and you get caught with it, you're guilty. Lance also took stuff for saddle sores. Look where that has got him.

No, Lance never took anything for a saddle sore. He has said it himself as he used it as a cover up.

rouxtjie

Oct 25, 2013, 5:01 AM

There is so much wrong in that way of looking at things in life it's not even worth a detailed response.

I wish you all the best in your poor narcistic life.

We get it, he is your mate but you need to realize that he was caught with a banned substance in his system...Even if it got in his system by mistake / prescription it is what it is....

He can't plead innocence by ignorance because of the history that the sport has, I personally like the no tolerance approach in this matter.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment