Events

African Continental XCO/DHI Champs for Cape Town in January

· By BikeHubCoreAdmin · 13 comments

The Western Cape will play host to the 2014 African Continental Mountain Bike Championships, which will kick off the 2014 mountain biking season in South Africa, from 25-26 January.

ccs-41808-0-34104800-1390294382.jpg

The cross-country (XCO) and downhill (DHI) disciplines will take place at the Willowbridge Shopping Centre on Saturday 25 January, and at Contermanskloof on Sunday 26 January respectively.

There is good news for riders wishing to participate as Cycling SA-MTB has confirmed that there will not be a participation quota, and that all riders who wish to enter, may enter. Cycling SA has opened the African Continental Champs up for maximum participation to create greater opportunities and to be of greater benefit to our riders and to our sport.

The Elite, under-23 and junior UCI category riders must compete in SA National Federation kit. Please contact Dellah Paul for your kit requirements, on dellah@cyclingsa.com. The Sub-Veteran, Veteran, Masters, Youth, Sub Junior, Sprogs and Nippers will be competing in the Africa Challenge.

Now 4-years-old, the popular Slammer track at Willowbridge has been an inclusion on the SA National XCO Cup Series calendar for the past two seasons. Located on the banks opposite the Willowbridge Shopping Centre, the location provides easy spectator viewing along most of the course. Track builder Bryan Strauss and his team of volunteers have been working hard to create a course that is suitable for all the various age categories, yet challenging enough for the top riders. Two different tracks will be used on the day: the shorter track for Nippers, and the longer track for all the other categories.

The slopes of Contermanskloof in Durbanville will come alive once again for the DHI competition. The trail venue is a 20-minute drive from Cape Town, and the working farm’s mountain bike trails welcome visitors on a regular basis on the weekends. Chris Nixon describes the course as steep and fast with lots of corners. The first few 100m are relatively tame, and then suddenly steep with some switchbacks. Riders will also face a road gap with a steep landing; a tricky rock garden, a few jumps and a tabletop jump right before the finish. The course drops 236m in 1.29km.

Entries are open, and riders can enter online here: http://csams.cycling…mpionships.aspx. Online pre-entries close on Tuesday 21 January 2014. Late entries will be accepted at registration for both the XCO and DHI, at an additional charge of R50 per entry.

Comments

Flowta

Dec 9, 2013, 9:19 AM

Very cool, though the Slammer track needs a bit of work.

It was really overgrown last time I rode it

stringbean

Dec 9, 2013, 9:25 AM

As much as I love that track even if it is cleared it is not up to standard for African continental champs IMO.Nothing technical and not sure if it can handle a large volume if riders.

Slowbee

Jan 21, 2014, 8:32 AM

who is going to be there in terms of supports?

lets support local talent!

Shebeen

Jan 21, 2014, 8:35 AM

got a time schedule handy?

Dubber

Jan 21, 2014, 8:36 AM

who is going to be there in terms of supports?

lets support local talent!

I'll be there. Keen to try get a few photos etc.

nigelhicks

Jan 21, 2014, 8:38 AM

not a schedule - but may help with contact details

http://www.cyclingsa.com/Article.aspx?uid=2197

Captain Fastbastard Mayhem

Jan 21, 2014, 9:30 AM

I'm gonna spectate with my little monster tagging along...

hayleyearth

Jan 21, 2014, 9:32 AM

I'm gonna spectate with my little monster tagging along...

Sunday too?

Then I'll see you there!

Captain Fastbastard Mayhem

Jan 21, 2014, 10:55 AM

Sunday too?

Then I'll see you there!

I'll see if I can squeeze the sports pass to 2 days...

Capricorn

Jan 22, 2014, 9:58 AM

Africa Continental Downhill Champs

Contermanskloof Mainline

Thursday – Track walk and registration from 10:00 to 16:00

Friday – Practice and registration from 10:00 to 16:00

Saturday – Practice and registration from 10:00 to 16:00

Sunday – Seeding and race run from 10:00

Minimum of 2 practice runs must be completed by each rider before the end of practice on Saturday.

patches

Jan 22, 2014, 10:02 AM

Contermanskloof Mainline

Minimum of 2 practice runs must be completed by each rider before the end of practice on Saturday.

hahaha! CT time!

banna

Jan 22, 2014, 10:14 AM

Contermanskloof Mainline

I did some track walking over the weekend at the Attakwas as well...

Add a comment

You must log in to comment