Events

Alberto Contador to join Trek-Segafredo

· By Press Office · 14 comments

Trek-Segafredo is proud to confirm that 33-year-old Alberto Contador will be joining the pinstriped team in 2017. Contador, who needs little introduction, has won all three Grand Tours in addition to numerous other victories and is arguably one of the best stage racers of the modern era.

Trek-Segafredo is also pleased to welcome climber Jesús Hernández and staff member Steven de Jongh.

Contador: “I am thrilled about the opportunity that is in front of me. Trek-Segafredo is a very attractive and ambitious project that really inspires me. I had some excellent conversations with the team management, and we have a lot of goals and priorities in common. The big objective is to try and win the most important races on the calendar – first and foremost the Tour de France.”

“The sporting side was the key point in my decision. This team is focused on performance, and there’s a really strong group of riders with experience in all kinds of terrain, not only the mountains. I like that it’s such an open, international group of riders. I am convinced that this team can provide me with the best structure and bring me in the best conditions to the races. I race to win, and I am determined to get intensely invested in this team.”

General Manager Luca Guercilena: “Alberto is a formidable rider and a real fighter. He’s a champion. There is really no one like Alberto in the current peloton, and we are very happy to welcome him to the team. With Alberto, I believe we are taking the next step in developing our team. Next year we’ll be stronger and all-around better and broader.”

Jesús Hernández, Contador’s trusted teammate from 2000 to 2005 and from 2009 to present, is also joining Trek-Segafredo: “I am really happy to come back to Trek because I also rode a Trek bike in 2009. Alberto is like my brother and coming back with him to the Trek family is really something special. It means a lot to me.

“2017 will bring once again a new experience and so I am really looking forward to starting the next season with renewed ambition. Obviously, my main ambition is to support Alberto and the other leaders of the team. When they are happy with my work, I will be happy as well.”

Finally, the team is welcoming Steven de Jongh to the staff of the team. He joins the existing group of experienced sports directors at Trek-Segafredo. He has been supporting Alberto Contador from the team car since 2013 and is a trusted colleague of the Spaniard.

Guercilena: “It goes without saying that I am very happy to welcome Steven de Jongh to our team. We were looking to enlarge our group of directors for quite some time now. Next year the race calendar will be more extended, and we will have more riders on the team. With an excellent director such as Steven, our group of very experienced and equally outstanding directors will be more versatile.”

Comments

Cav'

Sep 15, 2016, 2:41 PM

Nee maar mooi.

Shebeen

Sep 15, 2016, 2:50 PM

such old news i might as well caption it

post-1830-0-58041200-1473951002_thumb.jpg

Patchelicious

Sep 15, 2016, 2:51 PM

Good now I don't have to hate myself for riding a Spez.

'Dale

Sep 15, 2016, 3:06 PM

Berto!!!

????????????????????????

CAAD4

Sep 15, 2016, 3:33 PM

Hopefully he'll have better luck on a half decent bike now...

LOOK695

Sep 15, 2016, 3:37 PM

You mean the spez is overrated?????
Gen

Sep 15, 2016, 3:40 PM

Trek have made some really good signings for both GC and spring classics ambitions.. going to be interesting to see how they go.

Gen

Sep 15, 2016, 3:43 PM

And tada... Steven de Jongh will be joining him..

https://twitter.com/stevendejongh/status/776437638681223168

Bonus

Sep 15, 2016, 3:48 PM

It worked out well for Andy Schleck . . . . :-)

Cav'

Sep 16, 2016, 6:44 AM

You mean the spez is overrated?

He means, even though he'll be riding a R120K Trek. It's still a Trek.

Patchelicious

Sep 16, 2016, 9:58 AM

It worked out well for Andy Schleck . . . . :-)

Who?
stringbean

Sep 16, 2016, 10:08 AM

Isn't that where everyone goes to when they retire?

Rider3000

Sep 16, 2016, 11:18 AM

Berto!!!

Great news !!! Its loooong overdue to move to a better team... well any team that would assist their GC leader ! Just hope Mollema will be his super domistique and not ride for himself in the giro vuelta....lets see

Shebeen

Sep 16, 2016, 11:23 AM

Isn't that where everyone goes to when they retire?

is zubeldia still riding in 2017?!

Add a comment

You must log in to comment