Events

Another chance to enter the 2017 Cape Town Cycle Tour

· By Press Office · 25 comments

Missed out on securing an entry for the 40th edition of the Cape Town Cycle Tour? You’re in luck – a limited number of unclaimed entries will be made available on Friday, 9 September at 9am.

ccs-62657-0-54181300-1473271384.jpg

We will offer 600 unclaimed Cape Town Cycle Tour entries on Friday morning (9 September) on a first come first served basis. The entries will be made available from 9am at a cost of R510.00. Applications for those 600 entries will be done on the same basis as the main entry process: Prospective riders can apply at www.capetowncycletour.com without payment from 9am until we reach the 600 entry mark, but no later than 10am.

Between 10:00am and 10:30am we will advise the successful applicants and they will have until 4:00pm on that same Friday to pay after which the offer will lapse.

The 2017 event marks the 40th anniversary of South Africa’s most iconic cycling event. It will take place on 12 March 2017, when 35 000 riders will tackle the spectacular 109-kilometre peninsula loop.

Keep informed of developments of the Cape Town Cycle Tour by liking our Facebook Page at www.facebook.com/cycletour or by following us on Instagram @ctcyletour or on Twitter at @CTCycleTour.

For any event queries, or assistance with entries, please contact the Cycle Tour Events Office during office hours on 087 820 7223 or visit www.capetowncycletour.com.

Related posts

Comments

Malpiet

Sep 7, 2016, 7:04 PM

i wonder howcome, probably the R510 entry fee??

Pulse

Sep 7, 2016, 7:55 PM

I know a couple of people that have done 12+ races, but just couldn't be bothered to enter a lottery system.

J∆kk∆ls

Sep 7, 2016, 8:58 PM

people spend more than R510 on a night out. It has nothing to do with mula.

LeoKnight

Sep 8, 2016, 7:37 AM

They were even this morning talking about it on the radio that they reallocated 600 international entries for locals.  And this time it will be a first come first serve basis.

Lefty V

Sep 8, 2016, 9:40 AM

Not for you, but for some it does - I secured my lottery entry and while going through the payment process I had a moment of clarity - it just seemed like it has become too easy to just keep forking over more and more money every time - maybe it is time I spend that R510 on 3 bottles of wine rather than chasing  sub 3  bragging rights. I will be sure to go ride my bike somewhere epic for free on the 12th of March so that I don't feel like I am missing out.

partydave

Sep 8, 2016, 9:44 AM

I beg to differ. I have an unclaimed entry because I can't afford R510, as I'm sure many other do

J∆kk∆ls

Sep 8, 2016, 9:51 AM

Not for you, but for some it does - I secured my lottery entry and while going through the payment process I had a moment of clarity - it just seemed like it has become too easy to just keep forking over more and more money every time - maybe it is time I spend that R510 on 3 bottles of wine rather than chasing  sub 3  bragging rights. I will be sure to go ride my bike somewhere epic for free on the 12th of March so that I don't feel like I am missing out.

Let me explain more clearly. If there is something you want to do you will find the means. 

R510 is a lot of money to a lot of people. But how often do I hear these words "I have no money!" by the same people that walk out the office to go smoke! When I calculated how much money they spent on smokes and their daily chocolate and coke to get that sugar high they were speechless. 

I should not generalise but I can't help but feel that if your really wanted to ride the CTCT you would make a plan! 

rock

Sep 8, 2016, 9:59 AM

Sounds like a better way to spend R510 imho

Halfdoesyn

Sep 8, 2016, 10:18 AM

I don't think R510 is that much for what you get. I think most of the gripes are because it used to be very much cheaper, and not so much now.

Any case, look what people spend on their bikes.

partydave

Sep 8, 2016, 10:24 AM

Remember, it's not just R510 for many of us.

Flights, accommodation and and and.

Not cheap at all

rock

Sep 8, 2016, 10:25 AM

Any case, look what people spend on their bikes.

I think that's exactly what they are banking on. I hate annual increases, wont be long until its a Grand. 

gerryonimo

Sep 8, 2016, 10:33 AM

R510 is a lot  of money, but for me it is my annual pilgrimage down to the Mother City to ride, what is in my opinion, the best race in the country! It does mean budgeting through out the year and  forgoing the odd night out! The FOMO I would endure not doing the race, while all my mates were, is not worth the pain! So roll on number 12 for me next year! God willing!   

HdB

Sep 8, 2016, 10:46 AM

I don't think it is too much for what we get, yet. But I do think the difference between the entry for the Argus and other races like the Amashova or next year's Herald is rather significant.

Given that we have to travel down to CPT, accommodation and food, the entry fee is still one of the less expensive parts of the trip though, so I will keep doing it as long as I am able.

Spock

Sep 8, 2016, 10:48 AM

Flightsx2 R5000

Accomodation R4500

Car hire R1200

Bike transport R1000

Food etc R????

The R510 entry fee is the least of my worries!!

Spock

Sep 8, 2016, 10:50 AM

I beg to differ. I have an unclaimed entry because I can't afford R510, as I'm sure many other do

It's all about supply/demand....if they can fill 30,000 entries for R1000 they will do it

Pure Savage

Sep 8, 2016, 10:57 AM

Flightsx2 R5000

Accomodation R4500

Car hire R1200

Bike transport R1000

Food etc R????

Sounds like you need to join Vitality :P

Pulse

Sep 8, 2016, 11:03 AM

Flightsx2 R5000

Accomodation R4500

Car hire R1200

Bike transport R1000

Food etc R????

Couldn't agree more...

We have calculated that if we (2 people) skip argus for 2 years, we can do a week long trip to Mauritius...

Lefty V

Sep 8, 2016, 11:12 AM

Couldn't agree more...

We have calculated that if we (2 people) skip argus for 2 years, we can do a week long trip to Mauritius...

That's a no-brainer

HappyMartin

Sep 8, 2016, 11:24 AM

Couldn't agree more...

Only thing worse than a week in Mauritius is two weeks in Mauritius. Rather skip the Argus 4 years running and go somewhere else.

Lefty V

Sep 8, 2016, 11:32 AM

Let me explain more clearly. If there is something you want to do you will find the means. 

R510 is a lot of money to a lot of people. But how often do I hear these words "I have no money!" by the same people that walk out the office to go smoke! When I calculated how much money they spent on smokes and their daily chocolate and coke to get that sugar high they were speechless. 

I should not generalise but I can't help but feel that if your really wanted to ride the CTCT you would make a plan! 

I get what you are saying and it is very true that we all prioritise...  from  small indulgences and vices all the way up to things like the infrastructure that SA managed to fund for the Soccer World Cup.

Maybe in the interest of clarity - My point was that it can be about the money even when it is not a question of affordability. I will not see the  extra R510 in my bank account or reflected in balancing a budget if I do not enter, conversely I also will not need to forgo anything in order to enter... but that does not mean I don't have a sense of whether it is worth the money. And this time I thought meh... and I had that feeling the moment the cost popped onto my screen - which I find interesting especially if I look at what we spend on races and equipment in this game. So, no this does not mean they have priced themselves out of the game, but it does mean that for some it is "about the money". The same way that there is no shortage of moneyed Epic entrants, there are people who can afford it, but who chooses not to mostly because of the perceived value.

That said I should stop writing about this or else I will have to get off my soap box and buckle under FOMO :-) Enjoy the ride guys and gals

SCD

Sep 9, 2016, 11:23 AM

Rant on

It is a fair bit of money but you must consider that it costs a small fortune to organize events of this scale. Shutting down substantial parts of a large city and make sure that 30,000+ people are safe and well looked after. Overseas you pay much more for something similar.

If you really want an entry, you will diligently save up for it. Simple. If the lottery doesn't work out, get a substitution. But stop complaining about fees unless you really really know what is involved...

Rant off

Starvin' Marvin

Sep 9, 2016, 8:04 PM

Quite happy to fork out the R510 for the entry. It just gives me a reason to get another tattoo at Needles and Pins in Seapoint.

Harryn

Sep 10, 2016, 8:29 AM

O

TheJ

Sep 12, 2016, 7:35 AM

Wish I could get an entry. My mom, in her 60's, said it would be a bucketlist item of hers to be able to say she's done the Argus. I've done plenty, got my Sub3 in the bag. Now a perfect day would be to have my mom on the back of the tandem and do a social Argus. Going from Coke stop to Coke stop, just chilling and having a lekker time.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment