Events

Are you ready for a Big MTB Year?

· By Matt · 91 comments

A mountain bike event like no other. There is no start or finish. No short route or long route. In fact, no set route at all. Just you, your bike and any of the selected trails around SA. Big MTB Year is the brainchild of the team at EcoBound events. The same team behind some of the stalwarts of the mountain biking calendar (‘Trans Baviaans’ and ‘To Hell and Back’, to name just two).

2013-10-24-Big-Year-Logo.png

They’ve put together a great video explaining the concept and how it all works. Take a look.

http://vimeo.com/80381041

How does it work?

• The aim, to see how many top selected trails you can ride in a single year.
  • The awesomeness, you can do it anytime at your leisure.
  • No crowds, no panicky starts, just do it when you want and at your own pace.
  • Anyone, Anytime, Anywhere.
  • Race against yourself, your equally obsessed MTB friends or take it on as a challenge.
  • Whatever turns your wheels.
  • To participate, download The Big Year App for your Apple or Android device and subscribe.
    (From the event website)

What does it cost?

• The entry fee is just R199.00 which is paid when you download the app
  • Note: This does not include applicable access fees to the selected trails

It’s a unique concept and a fantastic way to promote the multitude of MTB trails around the country. Sure, it will take some time and money to get to each and every selected trail, but if the entry gets you to explore even one new trail in the year we’d consider it worthwhile.

For all the details on the rules, app and points system take a look at the event website: www.bigmtbyear.com/

You can also discuss the event and share your Big MTB Year in the dedicated forums right here on The Hub.

Comments

hayleyearth

Dec 4, 2013, 12:03 PM

I like this idea!

(I already have an obsession with traveling with my bike!)

Super Sywurm

Dec 4, 2013, 12:12 PM

I just want a list of the routes that will be part of the Big Year, because I am not buying the app if there is one or maybe no routes in my area!!!

F111

Dec 4, 2013, 12:31 PM

Saw the interview on supercycling last week Think its a great idea. Only problem you have to use their smart phone app. Battery life can be a problem with GPS enabled. You cant use your Garmin to download your rides to their site.

Super Sywurm

Dec 4, 2013, 12:37 PM

Saw the interview on supercycling last week Think its a great idea. Only problem you have to use their smart phone app. Battery life can be a problem with GPS enabled. You cant use your Garmin to download your rides to their site.

If you use the correct smart phone, it would work. I don't use a garmin, I use Endomondo on my Galaxy to track my rides.

The free radical

Dec 4, 2013, 12:59 PM

Awesome idea, time to plan a trip!

Toon63

Dec 4, 2013, 2:14 PM

I like the idea

Dominik

Dec 4, 2013, 9:26 PM

Awesome idea, and the app is loaded with information of the tracks. Good thing they use a smartphone, because imagine using a Garmin and just exporting the file and sharing it with everyone?

Dirt*girl™

Dec 5, 2013, 2:41 PM

Can't wait for it to start!!! yay!!!

Gravity

Dec 5, 2013, 2:47 PM

it is a great idea.....much better than bird watching IMO.

Warren911

Dec 5, 2013, 3:43 PM

I like the idea. I'm In.

rathlan

Dec 5, 2013, 6:52 PM

Any idea when the Android App is going to be available?

BigD

Dec 6, 2013, 5:14 AM

Great Idea, funny how the website has no mention of R200 for the app.

Still not sold on the idea of not being able to use your Garmin/ Bryton,etc. cant see my smart phone lasting a full ride with GPS and data on.

I think there are gonna be a few technical issues to sort out but im super keen!

BigD

Dec 6, 2013, 5:16 AM

Any idea when the Android App is going to be available?

15 December

hayleyearth

Dec 6, 2013, 5:43 AM

15 December

On the site it says 1 Dec, but I can't find the app...

BigD

Dec 6, 2013, 5:50 AM

On the site it says 1 Dec, but I can't find the app...

Site says app will be available 15 December, cant release earlier as the Big MTB Year starts on the 15th and people might get a head start, lol
Baaisikilist

Dec 6, 2013, 6:20 AM

My phone battery will never last.

typhoon

Dec 6, 2013, 6:29 AM

Sounds like this should be fun, even if we can only ride the trails in our areas.

zappa

Dec 10, 2013, 4:23 AM

If you are in Underberg area, come and ride Sani Spoors, one of the Big Year selected trails.

Warren911

Dec 15, 2013, 7:43 AM

The app has being released today on Apple, they say Android will be out shortly.

Waynehans

Dec 15, 2013, 8:31 AM

App is cool. But the $24.99 price is a bit steep. All the trails are a bit to far for me. Not worth it!!! For me!

PURE

Dec 15, 2013, 9:34 AM

Feel the same, R200 for the app is steep.

Warren911

Dec 15, 2013, 9:42 AM

Yip is a bit steep if you see most top games on play store are cheaper than that.

scuzzy

Dec 15, 2013, 9:45 AM

Would be nice to see what the trails are before one purchase the app. Keen to do it, but also cannot travel all over the country to make it worth it.

craig82

Dec 15, 2013, 10:42 AM

I organised to travel 300km to do a ride today with my newly installed app, only to find out its not available on Android yet.

Man, this really really sucks. And R200 guys, bit greedy.

And don't bother posting on their Facebook wall, they will just delete your post.

My bad, they did not delete my post, I just don't know how facebook works!

Add a comment

You must log in to comment