Events

ASG acquires TransCape mountain bike race

· By Press Office · 7 comments

ASG Events have acquired a controlling stake in the TransCape multistage mountain bike race, it was announced this week.

ccs-62657-0-22094300-1473327900.jpgTransCape participants traverse some of the most scenic and rugged mountain biking terrain in South Africa. Photo: Jacques Marais

The seven-day event across the width of the Western Cape will be added to the company’s repertoire of partnership events, which include flagship races such as the Bestmed Tour of Good Hope, Liberty Encounter Series and Sanlam MTB Invitational.

ASG Events chief executive Wynand de Villiers said they were looking forward to building on the success story of the 675km endurance event.

“It fits in nicely with our current offering for high net worth individuals in the mountain bike stage race sphere.

“We believe strongly it will set the benchmark for seven-day stage races on the African continent.”

With stages ranging between 70 and 130km, the event targets riders who have a measure of technical ability and who are looking to enjoy the experience.

De Villiers said the route took in some of the most scenic but notoriously rugged and challenging mountain biking terrain South Africa has to offer.

“It really is an incredible journey that will test your limits.”

ccs-62657-0-26874900-1473327883.jpg

He said the TransCape was a full-service tour, which meant participants’ on and off the bike needs would be met throughout.

“This includes on-road nutritional, technical and medical support, three meals a day, hotel and guest house accommodation and transfers between stages.”

Race founder Lenore Collett said she started dreaming of a mountain bike event that would capture the incredible journey through what she termed “the most spectacular corner” of the country.

“My vision was to create a premium event that delivers a stern challenge on the bike and a luxury experience off it.

“We are proud of what we have achieved with our first two events, but we realised that we needed to partner with likeminded businesses to take our vision to the next level.

“This is why I’m excited about the partnership with ASG. They have a wealth of knowledge and experience in event management and share our vision for the future.

“I have no doubt that the TransCape is now well positioned.”

The race, which starts in Knysna and finishes in Franschhoek, takes in the Garden Route, Klein Karoo, Overberg and Winelands regions.

For more info, go to http://www.transcapemtb.co.za.

Related posts

Comments

Shebeen

Sep 8, 2016, 10:08 AM

this was (in my mind at least) supposed to be the old Epic route without all the hype.

Fees are R30k pp already for 2017(was R22.5k for 2016, R14k for 2014), with lots of extras as standard.

Skubarra

Sep 8, 2016, 10:21 AM

this was (in my mind at least) supposed to be the old Epic route without all the hype.

Fees are R30k pp already for 2017(was R22.5k for 2016, R14k for 2014), with lots of extras as standard.

Wow, I can imagine it being an expensive race to organise but at that rate of inflation it is already the 2nd most expensive race in the country (that I know of) and by next year it will be more expensive than the Epic.

But I assume it is more aimed at the execs and golfers and not plebs like me, it does look like a nice event though, pity the entry fee.

mornevg

Sep 8, 2016, 8:29 PM

Like all ASG events it will now become heavily priced and mostly aimed at okes riding their overly serviced and overly price bikes twice a year, completely cutting out the "normal" MTB folk.

intern

Sep 8, 2016, 9:47 PM

Like all ASG events it will now become heavily priced and mostly aimed at okes riding their overly serviced and overly price bikes twice a year, completely cutting out the "normal" MTB folk.

Don't like it, don't participate. Nobody is forcing you to do anything, I hope.

Just go ride your bike with some mates if the price is too high or the level of ponce per inch is too much ;-)

Paulst12

Sep 9, 2016, 5:58 AM

R30k!!!!

How to go from the bucket list to "no ways in hell" in 1 year. I can understand the initial increase from year 1 as they get logistics sorted out, but considering J2C is R20k and its more days, i know which one I'll rather be doing. 

Skubarra

Sep 9, 2016, 6:46 AM

To be fair - it is more like a catered fully serviced luxury mtb tour as opposed to your normal mtb stage race in little tents - I don't have a problem with events focusing on the golfer market segment.

The lesson here for me is that if a new event looks interesting take your chance when they are still cheap making a name for themselves, if you wait a year or 2 this happens.

One that I'm bit bleak about is the Tankwa Trek, should have done it 2 years ago when I had the chance! Now it is outside my budget for a 3 day stage race.

Headshot

Sep 14, 2016, 10:55 AM

The Eselfontein 3 day stage race is only R1.5k per team of 2 for 150km of proper mtb riding and includes free camping. Catering is your own responsibility or buy food from the vendors at the start finish area. This is my kind of race - low key, relaxed and cheap!!

Add a comment

You must log in to comment