Events

Bayern Rundfahrt #2: Another day in the break and top 10 for MTN-Qhubeka

· By Press Office · 0 comments

For the 2nd day in succession MTN-Qhubeka p/b Samsung had a rider in the break at the Bayern Rundfahrt. Today was the turn of Adrien Niyonshuti to go on the offensive as he formed part of the early 6 rider breakaway.

After going clear within the first 15km of the stage, the leading 6 riders would combine well together and muscled out a lead just over 6 minutes. It took a concerted chase by Cofidis and Bora-Argon before the gap started to decrease. Adrien and his fellow escapees would push the peloton deep into the stage but with strong sprinters in their midst, Giant-Alpecin, Cofidis and Bora-Argon kept plugging away.

ccs-62657-0-23095200-1431613680.jpg

Adrien would eventually drop from the break with 40km to go and be absorbed back into the peloton by the 25km to go point. The last 3 surviving members of the break would be reeled in with 10km to go to set up the sprint finish. John Degenkolb (Giant-Alpecin) would take the victory ahead of Nacer Bouhanni (Cofidis) and Enrique Sanz (Movistar)

MTN-Qhubeka p/b Samsung were going all in for Reinardt Janse van Rensburg during the sprint and after securing 8th during yesterday’s opening stage, Reinie would again penetrate the top 10 today by crossing the line 9th.

I’m a bit disappointed with the result as I think i was 8th or 9th again. I was a bit too far back in the corner with 1km to go. Andy did a great job for me today, keeping me in the top 10. We were swamped with 2km to go and the final few kilometers were pretty dangerous being downhill and having cars in the road.
Reinardt Janse van Rensburg – Rider
Adrien made today’s break which was good for us. We were able to show our stripes throughout the day. On the last two laps of the circuit the beak was brought back. It was a hectic final on the lumpy laps with the peloton splitting into several groups. Reinie was on Sam Bennett’s wheel when the road kicked up for the last 300m. In the end he secured another top 10 finish.
Jens Zemke – Head of Performance

Comments

There are no comments yet. Why not add yours below.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment