Events

Big names line up for Aramex songo.info Champions Race

· By Press Office · 3 comments

Big names like Christoph Sauser, František Rabon, Erik Kleinhans, Robert Mennen and Lukas Flückiger will all line up for Wednesday’s (19 March) Aramex songo.info Champions Race in Kayamandi.

ccs-41808-0-45984800-1395215708.jpg

Image credit: songo.info

This invitational only mountain bike race through the streets of the Stellenbosch township is a unique experience and only 50 riders will be on the start line for the official race that follows the Tour d’Kayamandi route. Kayamandi is the home ground of the songo.info charity and the race is held to race funds and awareness for this foundation.

The atmosphere during the race is one of the draw cards for the event. Sauser who has won the first two gets very emotional when he talks about it. “The atmosphere is super special. Already the view is stunning with the mountains in the background lighted red in the sunlight. The spectators are crazy and us racers are cheered for on every lap like it is the World Championships.”

Good friend of Sauser and songo.info Erik Kleinhans has also been racing in both the previous races. “The Aramex songo.info Champions Race has become quite a big part of the Stellenbosch cycling culture. It also brings cycling to the home of probably one of the most impressive cycling charities in South Africa. It definitely gives the cycling kids of Kayamandi lots of inspiration to see some of the best riders in the world in action and also awareness to raise funds for their efforts,” said Kleinhans.

ccs-41808-0-27866300-1395215717.jpg

Image credit: songo.info

Specialized’s Frantisek Rabon, who will partner Sauser at the Absa Cape Epic, will be in action for the first time. “I am expecting a little of everything. It is the last race before the Absa Cape Epic so it is also the last test. I would like to win, but I also want to have fun! I have heard so much about it and can’t wait to experience it all.”

Action will start at 17:00 when the children will race for 20 minutes before the women will start racing at 17:30. All the leading contenders for the women’s category from the Absa Cape Epic will be in action in the field headed by Ariane Kleinhans, Annika Langvad, Esther Süss, Sally Bigham, Hanlie Booyens and Mariske Strauss. Cherise Stander will also be in action. They will race for 20 minutes and one lap. The big one of the evening is at 18:00. Sauser and friends will race for 30 minutes and 3 laps.

This year there will also be a kids and women’s race. All three races will have a total prize purse of R24 000. Aramex has come on board this year as headline sponsor.

Comments

Rapunzel

Mar 19, 2014, 6:18 PM

What an amazing event - well done Songo and crowd (a spirited mass of locals). It really is worth making a plan to come and see this event next time around. Security is good and the 2km lap format leaves no dull moments.

leona

Mar 19, 2014, 7:20 PM

absolutely. definite highlight of my time here (since nov!) it really was fantastic. would have loved to race but too close to epic plus id have been dead last!

Morne Veer

Mar 19, 2014, 7:58 PM

Where can we see the results ?

Add a comment

You must log in to comment