Events

Bittersweet victory for young De Bod at Cycle Challenge

· By Press Office · 9 comments

Eighteen-year-old Stefan de Bod (MTN-Qhubeka Feeder Team) was the youngest rider to claim victory at the 2015 Momentum 947 Cycle Challenge in a well-executed race with his team in Gauteng on Sunday 15 November.

Racing in his first year as an Elite rider, the Stellenbosch local – who turns 19 today – won the 94.7km race ahead of teammate Clint Hendricks with Daryl Impey (ORICA-GreenEDGE) in third place.

ccs-62657-0-40114400-1447770754.jpg(From left) Orica-GreenEDGE’s Daryl Impey, who came in at a well-fought third place, chats with MTN-Qhubeka Feeder Team’s Stefan de Bod (first) and Clint Hendriks (second) to MC Paul Valstar after the 2015 Momentum 947 Cycle Challenge Elite Men’s race in Gauteng on Sunday 15 November. Photo: Supplied

Listed as the biggest moment of his cycling career, De Bod said that it was a good race and the first race that he has been in that was planned from the beginning to the very end. “We had a clear strategy. The plan was for me to go with 3km to go, which worked perfectly.”

Speaking about his uncertainty for the 2016 season since the Feeder Team will be without a sponsor, De Bod said: “This is the last race in the Feeder Team for now – no one has contracts for a bigger team next year. It was a bit emotional to leave the team house in Potchefstroom because we all grew close as a family there. Last year I was still a junior and I’ve learned a lot this year and can only say thank you to JP van Zyl, because he taught me so much. If it wasn’t for him, I probably wouldn’t have won today because he told me exactly where to go.”

Second placed Hendricks was pleased with how the race unfolded according to plan. “The bunch stayed together until Steyn City and then our team turned up the heat. In the last 6km, Jacques Janse Van Rensburg (Team MTN-Qhubeka) put the pressure on. We prepared well for this race in the last month or so – this race was a big goal for the team. We looked at the course and the last 6km, in every single bit of detail, and decided on where we were going to attack and Stefan planned it to perfection. For me it was to follow the counter. Luckily I had the legs to do that and it was fantastic that we took the victory!”

Impey, who is back on home soil, has recently started his training programme and was happy with his third place. “I’ve only started training now and surprised that I was okay in the end. These two guys and their team did a good ride.

“The local standard of racing is improving; especially when the young guys get more opportunities, that’s going to raise the level and the standards of racing. Next year, I hope that the sponsors do come to the party because it would be a shame if the younger guys don’t get the opportunity to have that bridge to Europe.”

For more information on the Momentum 947 Cycle Challenge, visit: www.cyclechallenge.co.za

Summary of Results – Momentum 947 Cycle Challenge Elite Men’s Race

1. Stefan de Bod (MTN-Qhubeka Feeder Team) 2:15:23
2. Clint Hendricks (MTN-Qhubeka Feeder Team) 2:15:28
3. Daryl Impey (ORICA-GreenEDGE) 2:15:32
4. Shaun-Nick Bester (Bonitas Pro Cycling) 2:15:36
5. Jayde Julius (MTN-Qhubeka Feeder Team) 2:15:38
6. Ryan Gibbons (Team Europcar SA) 2:15:41
7. Gustav Basson (MTN-Qhubeka Feeder Team) 2:15:44
8. Dirkie Nel (Lights by Linea) 2:15:45
9. Steven van Heerden (VWE/Europcar Track Academy) 2:15:50
10. Herman Fouche (Bonitas Pro Cycling) 2:15:51

Comments

Gen

Nov 17, 2015, 2:42 PM

Hang on..I though DD was going to continue to support the feeder team?

Mongoose!

Nov 17, 2015, 2:45 PM

Awesome

Gen

Nov 17, 2015, 2:47 PM

Oh sorry.. and well done youngster

xcd

Nov 17, 2015, 4:46 PM

Don't despair just yet !

I think we should wait until the DD team have heard about their WT license application.

Mongoose!

Nov 17, 2015, 4:51 PM

Why cant DD just drop Cav from the team. The savings on his salary will be enough to keep the feeder team going for 3 years.

DD : please reconsider?

Icycling

Nov 18, 2015, 6:49 AM

What Local road Pro teams are left in RSA next year?

As per a post I made in another track page 74, 2015 Momentum 947:

"Agreed - Looks like the men's roads racing scene in RSA is also falling apart. Not sure even which teams will still be operating next year.

The events need the “Pro's” the “Pro’s’ need the event. The sponsors need the (TV) coverage! The balls seems to be dropping in RSA road cycling.”

The flip side is with a Super RSA registered team riding the grand tours - small sponsors possibly feel they cannot compete and is there now even a place for regional RSA teams? Where will this leave RSA road cycling when there is no longer a Super team in the grand tours - very much on the back foot?

What is going to happen to all these local young “Pro’s” left now without sponsorship, not only MTN feeder team but the other teams as well? Lost too the sport? Where will the RSA super team pick new RSA road riders, in years to come, to ride in the Super team - what development systems are left in place and how will they be funded?

A lot of questions - not many answers!

Mongoose!

Nov 18, 2015, 10:36 AM

What Local road Pro teams are left in RSA next year?

As per a post I made in another track page 74, 2015 Momentum 947:

"Agreed - Looks like the men's roads racing scene in RSA is also falling apart. Not sure even which teams will still be operating next year.

The events need the “Pro's” the “Pro’s’ need the event. The sponsors need the (TV) coverage! The balls seems to be dropping in RSA road cycling.”

The flip side is with a Super RSA registered team riding the grand tours - small sponsors possibly feel they cannot compete and is there now even a place for regional RSA teams? Where will this leave RSA road cycling when there is no longer a Super team in the grand tours - very much on the back foot?

What is going to happen to all these local young “Pro’s” left now without sponsorship, not only MTN feeder team but the other teams as well? Lost too the sport? Where will the RSA super team pick new RSA road riders, in years to come, to ride in the Super team - what development systems are left in place and how will they be funded?

A lot of questions - not many answers!

I agree 100% with you!!

what's the point in having an African based / African sponsored team at top level, but with very few South African riders presented in such team. 

If DD has no interest in investing also in a local feeder team, it tells me they want to feed the team form other sources...

HdB

Nov 18, 2015, 10:48 AM

Hopefully this helps:

http://www.ride.co.za/news/africas-premier-cycling-team-signs-sponsorship-agreement-with-sapinda-holding-b-v/

I remember how we admired the guys from the AIG and Collet Engineering teams, when I just started. Different times though - with the winner getting prizes like R2000 for 1st, they came to a lot of the races in smaller towns.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment