Events

Blind Adventurer Hein Wagner To Test His Endurance At Cape Argus Pick ‘n Pay Cycle Tour This Weekend

· By Matt · 0 comments

Blind adventurer and motivational speaker Hein Wagner and his riding partner Alwyn de Kock will take on the Cape Argus Pick ‘n Pay Cycle Tour in Cape Town this coming Sunday, 10 March in the blind category.

Says Wagner, who has been completely blind from birth: “Alwyn and I have been very busy training in preparation for this year’s Ironman in April and believe we’re ready for the Cape Argus Cycle Tour. Our aim is to do it under 3 hours and of course we’d like to win the Frank van der Velde Cup for the first blind rider to cross the finish line. I won the cup in 2011 with Pragma’s Gerrie Olivier.”

Wagner has taken on many daring adventures including the Absa Cape Epic, sailing from Cape Town to Rio and running marathons. He also holds the World Land Speed record for a blind driver. “I’ve completed the Cape Argus Cycle Tour twice before and wasn’t planning on doing it again this year. I was going to do the Antarctica Marathon on Thursday (7 March), but the trip was cancelled due to the ship hitting an iceberg. When Alwyn, who had an entry, heard that I’ll be in Cape Town, he invited me to cycle the Argus with him. I immediately made contact with the Cape Town Cycle tour trust and the Race office manager Tish Lambert granted me a special substitution for Sunday’s race. Tish concluded that in all her years as race office manager she has never heard such an interesting reason for not entering on time. It’s all very exciting and I look forward to the race!”

For more information visit www.heinwagner.co.za.

Comments

There are no comments yet. Why not add yours below.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment