Events

Burry Stander: Charges to be reinstated

· By BikeHubCoreAdmin · 286 comments

Charges against the taxi-driver implicated in Burry Stander’s death are to be reinstated following outrage from the Stander family at the State’s poor handling of the case, according to an article on IOL.

Durban – The culpable homicide charges against a taxi driver implicated in the death of cyclist Burry Stander are to be reinstated.

Read the full article on IOL.

Note: The discussion and commentary below follows from the initial dropping of the charges onto the recent reinstatement.

Comments

Patchelicious

Jul 2, 2013, 11:23 AM

This is not good. Where are they posting about details?

TimW

Jul 2, 2013, 11:24 AM

Not posting ... from a journo who was at court.

'Dale

Jul 2, 2013, 11:25 AM

Hmmmm

Patchelicious

Jul 2, 2013, 11:26 AM

Not posting ... from a journo who was at court.

Any chance he can come give us first hand details here?

(Deon)

Jul 2, 2013, 11:33 AM

Can't see why this would not be good if it was not his fault?

Shebeen

Jul 2, 2013, 11:33 AM

Hmmmm

+1
gummibear

Jul 2, 2013, 11:37 AM

Cherise Stander@taylorchick1 31m

@barrybateman any chance you can find out more details on the Burry Stander case? Only info I can get is that the case has been provisionly

Cherise Stander@taylorchick1 31m

@barrybateman withdrawn due to a mistake from the public prosecutor surely that can be right?

Surv0MTB

Jul 2, 2013, 11:46 AM

Trust the authorities to screw up a case...

Stretch

Jul 2, 2013, 11:49 AM

How much longer must we stand back while the prosecutors and police mess things up....the threat of prosecution is damp squib

Gerhardc

Jul 2, 2013, 11:54 AM

How much longer must we stand back while the prosecutors and police mess things up....the threat of prosecution is damp squib

If you look at what's happening between NPA and Glynis Breytenbach case.....believe me......anything is possible!!! :thumbdown:

rattlesnake

Jul 2, 2013, 12:05 PM

Our judicial system is such a joke, eclipsed only by the uniformed buffoons we call our police force.

How can it be that NO senior political pressure of any kind has been exerted in this case (of ALL cases!!!) to ensure that justice is served and an example is set?

What this now says is that don't worry about it, take your car, drive recklessly and kill people with it, no harm or justice will come your way, even if you killed an olympian. Disgusting.

SwissVan

Jul 2, 2013, 12:13 PM

This is BS if its true

If money will fix the problem I'll gladly donate to a fund to resurrect the charges against the driver / to get justice

Tumbleweed

Jul 2, 2013, 12:14 PM

Our judicial system is such a joke, eclipsed only by the uniformed buffoons we call our police force.

How can it be that NO senior political pressure of any kind has been exerted in this case (of ALL cases!!!) to ensure that justice is served and an example is set?

What this now says is that don't worry about it, take your car, drive recklessly and kill people with it, no harm or justice will come your way, even if you killed an olympian. Disgusting.

This is assuming a lot. A lot of people immediately attacked the driver straight away without having any facts.

Falco

I must be missing something. I thought this was considered a normal traffic accident?

Surely you can't expect to lynch every motorist who is involved in a collision with a cyclist.

Sepia

Par for the course. It WILL always be the case.

See: Drunk hit and run in Pmb

Guy killed on Fields Hill

Krugersorp hit and run.

I am sure there are others.

and now this. What would you expect?

Get real, The justice system in SA is poked,

rattlesnake

Jul 2, 2013, 12:22 PM

Wow, some guys on here actually defending taxi drivers, now I've seen it all :wacko:

Maybe I am using (some) assumption, but based on what was made public and based on how 99.99% of taxi drivers behave on the roads, and based on the fact that Burry was a pro bike handler and trained on those roads DAILY, I'm happy to give odds on my "assumptions" being correct.

Flame away.

Kranky

Jul 2, 2013, 12:24 PM

Depending on the error made by the prosecutor, it is possible for the charges to be reinstated. But that would require someone to their job.

slowpoke

Jul 2, 2013, 12:25 PM

This is why SA drivers are so bad. As long as it was "an accident" and "you didn't mean to kill/cause harm" you walk away with NO punishment, even if you were blatantly negligent. This whole approach of not taking accountability is what sucks. SA folk need to stop being negligent and the only way is to punish people who are negligent. Maybe not as severely as those who do things deliberately, but still punishment suffice try to teach them to stop being negligent. i.e. Sufficient punishment to make them learn to take accountability for their actions.

SwissVan

Jul 2, 2013, 12:26 PM

This is assuming a lot. A lot of people immediately attacked the driver straight away without having any facts.

Bud I hope its all a mistake and the taxi driver is going to get nailed

If I've got it wrong fell free to tell me how?

gummibear

Jul 2, 2013, 12:31 PM

EWN Reporter@ewnreporter 13m

The wife of the late cyclist #Burry Stander, Cherise #Stander says she's devastated by the latest development in the case.

gummibear

Jul 2, 2013, 12:31 PM

EWN Reporter@ewnreporter 16m

The case against the motorist believed to have knocked over and killed cyclist Burry Stander has been provisionally taken off court roll.

Servetus

Jul 2, 2013, 12:33 PM

EWN Reporter@ewnreporter 16m

The case against the motorist believed to have knocked over and killed cyclist Burry Stander has been provisionally taken off court roll.

Let's hope this is the case. Huge difference between withdrawn and just taken off the roll.

Tumbleweed

Jul 2, 2013, 12:38 PM

Bud I hope its all a mistake and the taxi driver is going to get nailed

If I've got it wrong fell free to tell me how?

If there enough facts and evidence to convict the driver, but the prosecution screwed, then it's a sad day. You can't, however, convict someone on sentiment.

Falco

Jul 2, 2013, 12:39 PM

Wow, some guys on here actually defending taxi drivers, now I've seen it all :wacko:

Nobody is defending the taxi driver.

The majority of them behave like a-holes, but the fact remains it was initially reported as a hit and run (which it wasn't), and now it is simply assumed that the driver was in the wrong.

That's not how it works, for a taxi driver or any other motorist.

Further, to assume that the driver is automatically wrong because Burry was a "pro bike handler" is ludicrous.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment