Events

Butch James Wins The Oakley X-Over Challenge 2014

· By Press Office · 21 comments

In an exciting finish to the inaugural Oakley X-Over Challenge, Butch James came out on top, after dominating all three disciplines in this exhilarating cross-over event. Butch was strong in the Mountain Biking race and the Golf tournament, and an impressive finish in the surf event final clinched him the overall lead.

ccs-41808-0-54240000-1405603507.jpg

“What an unbelievable event and thanks to Oakley for the invite,” said Butch at the prize-giving. “It’s been really amazing to get to know the other 11 athletes, and from a performance point of view it was extremely competitive, and to end up winning feels unreal. I never thought I could ever win it, especially with the surfing stage, but it’s awesome to end up with the trophy.”

The focus of the final day of the Oakley X-Over Challenge, which forms part of the JBay Winterfest, was the surf event that took place at the Lower Point in Jeffreys Bay. There was a lot at stake here, as the overall Champion was going to be crowned after the surfing. A perfect three-foot swell groomed with a light offshore wind greeted the contestants, and there was much excitement amongst them, along with some rather nervous grins.

John Smit was in the first heat of the day, and picked up two amazing waves from the outside, riding them through to the inside, to the screaming and applause from the gathered crowds. “That was so much fun,” said John on the beach afterwards. “I was a bit apprehensive at first, but once I was out there it was beautiful and clean. I’m pretty exhausted though. Being fit for surfing is very a different form of fitness. I don’t know how the guys do it for hours on end. The Oakley X-Over Challenge has been amazing fun,” Smit added. “I can’t wait for next year’s event.”

Bob Skinstad came from behind in his first round heat, picking up a clean set wave in the dying minutes to bank the highest score of the heat with an 8.5 that took him into the final. “It was so good, but also a lot of hard work out there to be honest,” said Skinstad afterwards on the beach. “The wind came up during that heat and made the waves so clean and perfect and I was sitting wide for that last wave. It was a good one, that ran all the way through to the inside and just got me a slot in the final, so I’m stoked.”

Once the final was under way, it was all about Jordy Smith. Jordy was on fire, and picked up excellent scoring waves throughout the final. The judges awarded him a perfect score of 10 points for his two scoring waves, which means that he got the extremely rare perfect-score 20 points for his heat total. “It was so good out there,” said the ASP 11th-ranked surfer after the final. “I was so surprised at how competitive it was as well. The rest of the finalists weren’t giving an inch out there. They were jockeying for position, hassling for waves and determined to win.” Jordy, who was eliminated from the JBay Open surfing event earlier in the week, was all smiles. “I’m just stoked to make one final here in JBay,” he added.

The results for the surfing event:

1. Jordy Smith

2. Greg Minnaar

3. Bob Skinstad

4. Butch James

5.Raynard Tissink

6. Ryan Sandes

Once the dust had settled at the Lower Point, it was time for the scores to be totalized over the three disciplines. Jordy might have won the surfing, but Greg Minnaar was the champion in the Mountain Bike race ahead of Kevin Evans and Raynard Tissink in third, while Ruan de Smidt had emerged victorious in the Golf Tournament, followed by Butch James, and David Miller in third.

Once the scores had been totalled and averaged, it was none other than Butch James who was declared the inaugural Oakley X-Over champion, with Raynard Tissink a close second and Greg Minnaar in third.

Apart from the honour and prestige of winning such an exciting and competitive event, Butch was also awarded the Oakley X-Over trophy, as well as an all-expenses paid weekend for two at the Aquila Game Farmwww.aquilasafari.com/ and an Oakley 12 Gauge Watch, valued at R14k

“This has been such a great event,” said Oakley Sports Marketing Manager, and the man behind the Oakley X-Over Challenge, Seth Hulley. “It’s so good to see the levels of commitment and camaraderie amongst all the athletes and guests who partook in the challenge. We’re definitely going to make this an annual event and go bigger next year.”

Oakley X-Over Challenge final results:

1. Butch James

2. Raynard Tissink

3. Greg Minnaar

4. Kevin Evans

5. Bob Skinstad

6. David Miller

7. Ryan Sandes/Ruan De Smidt (tied)

9. Jordy Smith/John Smit (tied)

11. Ryan O’Connor

12. Garreth ‘Soldier Boy’ McLellan

The event hashtag is #OakleyXOVER

Thanks to DHL for the transportation and delivering of much equipment necessary for the running of this event.

Comments

RocknRolla

Jul 17, 2014, 1:42 PM

Still cant get the just of this "competition"

looks like a bunch of celebs spending sponsors' money.

I get it's a marketing ploy, but does nothing for my motivation at work....

Stretch

Jul 17, 2014, 1:52 PM

all I read there was that Greg Minnaar beat Kevin Evans in the mtb event.....

looks like mr minn needs to up his golf game

Gen

Jul 17, 2014, 1:52 PM

Greg must have had a bad round of golf.. won the MTB and 2e in surfing. . ;)

Boys will be boys.. extra entertainment on the side while the surfing was going on in Jbay.. I think it's rather cool. . Bring in some of your sponsored athletes and tell them go mal and enjoy.. hell if not why not.

CAAD4

Jul 17, 2014, 2:01 PM

Showing my age here, but anyone remember the Super C Sportsman of the year. The rugby and soccer guys generally dominated. I remember one year that they brought out a Dutch cyclist, poor oke couldn't do a pull up.

Gen

Jul 17, 2014, 2:01 PM

Mind you I am relieved Minnaar can't play golf.. i would had to re evaluate his coolness if he was a golfer. ;)

RocknRolla

Jul 17, 2014, 2:05 PM

Greg must have had a bad round of golf.. won the MTB and 2e in surfing. . ;)

Boys will be boys.. extra entertainment on the side while the surfing was going on in Jbay.. I think it's rather cool. . Bring in some of your sponsored athletes and tell them go mal and enjoy.. hell if not why not.

I'm mainly miff at the fact that I sit and slave away at work, and these dudes live the life I dream....

except for the golf.....

Shebeen

Jul 17, 2014, 2:08 PM

hmmmmm, so mr minn sucks at golf.

Oakley X Over Mountain Bike Results (position indicates number of points):

1) Greg Minnaar @GregMinnaar

2) Kevin Evans @kevinevansracin

3) Raynard Tissink @RAYTISSINK

4) Ryan Sandes @ryansandes

5) Butch James @butch_james

6) John Smit @JohnSmit123

7) Ryan O’Connor @RyanOConnorSA

8) Garreth ‘Soldier Boy’ McLellan @SoldierboyInc

9) David Miller @DavidMillerSA12

*10) Bob Skinstad @BobSkinstad

11) Ruan De Smidt @ruandesmidt

12) Jordy Smith @jordysmith88

* – Indicates holder of the hidden idol – divides athletes points in half.

Oakley X Over Golf Results

1) Ruan De Smidt @ruandesmidt

2) Butch James @butch_james

3) David Miller @DavidMillerSA12

4) Raynard Tissink @RAYTISSINK

5) Jordy Smith @jordysmith88

6) Kevin Evans @kevinevansracin

7) Ryan O’Connor @RyanOConnorSA

8) John Smit @JohnSmit123

9) Bob Skinstad @BobSkinstad

10) Garreth ‘Soldier Boy’ McLellan @SoldierboyInc

11) Greg Minnaar @GregMinnaar

12) Ryan Sandes @ryansandes

Oakley X Over Surfing Results

1) Jordy Smith @jordysmith88

2) Greg Minnaar @GregMinnaar

3) Bob Skinstad @BobSkinstad

4) Butch James @butch_james

5) Raynard Tissink @RAYTISSINK

6) Ryan Sandes @ryansandes

7) Kevin Evans @kevinevansracin

8) David Miller @DavidMillerSA12

9) John Smit @JohnSmit123

1o) Ruan De Smidt @ruandesmidt

11) Garreth ‘Soldier Boy’ McLellan @SoldierboyInc

12) Ryan O’Connor @RyanOConnorSA

http://www.jbaywinterfest.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/322x500xoxo-results-small.jpg.pagespeed.ic.OheQ7e6ZL6.jpg

Gen

Jul 17, 2014, 2:16 PM

They should scrap the golf and do shirtless rock climbing in it's place..

Nothing wrong with that.. a surfer and a downhill rider shirtless can only draw in crowds. .

Oakley. ... do you hear me?!!!!!

MTBeer

Jul 17, 2014, 2:24 PM

who's ryan o conner and ruan de smidt?

Stretch

Jul 17, 2014, 2:29 PM

who's ryan o conner and ruan de smidt?

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=ruan+de+smidt

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=+ryan+o+conner

CAAD4

Jul 17, 2014, 2:29 PM

Poker players?

RocknRolla

Jul 17, 2014, 2:34 PM

LOL @ stretch...

mazambaan

Jul 17, 2014, 2:36 PM

I would have liked to see the barge surfboard that can keep John Smit afloat. Has he lost weight or should I say tonnage he he.

Gen

Jul 17, 2014, 2:38 PM

I would have liked to see the barge surfboard that can keep John Smit afloat. Has he lost weight or should I say tonnage he he.

He got tips from Kelly Slater.???? therefore he receives extra cool points.. cool by association. ;)

Stretch

Jul 17, 2014, 3:07 PM

is that a WTF?

http://image1.redbull.com/rbcom/010/2014-07-17/1331665224187_5/0010/1/1000/666/5/it-s-all-about-line.jpg

Stretch

Jul 17, 2014, 3:08 PM

surfing minn

http://image3.redbull.com/rbcom/010/2014-07-17/1331665236009_11/0010/1/1000/666/11/tube-time.jpg

Guest Sam Blake

Jul 18, 2014, 7:02 AM

It's impossible not to love Minnaar. Quicker on the mountain bike than Kevin Evans (maybe there were no switchbacks on the route), second only to Jordy Smith on a surfboard and a completely lousy golfer.

Gen

Jul 18, 2014, 8:14 AM

I see Mr Minnaar uploaded a video of him surfing on FB..

Mackie

Jul 18, 2014, 8:35 AM

It's impossible not to love Minnaar. Quicker on the mountain bike than Kevin Evans (maybe there were no switchbacks on the route), second only to Jordy Smith on a surfboard and a completely lousy golfer.

The way Jordy has been surfing of late, I am surprised he won, his first win in a surfing comp in ages.

the nerd

Jul 18, 2014, 8:47 AM

The way Jordy has been surfing of late, I am surprised he won, his first win in a surfing comp in ages.

Yoh....

MTBeer

Jul 18, 2014, 8:59 AM

ok so one's a golfer and the other a dj on the shitest radio station in the cape. no wonder I didn't know them.

ps. sarcasm noted (notice the font)

Add a comment

You must log in to comment