Events

Buys & Wakefield win maiden SA Marathon titles at Karkloof

Supplied by Gameplan Media.

· By Press Office · 12 comments

Philip Buys and Amy Wakefield produced supreme displays at the 2022 Sappi Karkloof Classic Trail Festival to claim maiden national marathon titles in the men’s and women’s races respectively on Sunday.

D2Buyswins.jpeg
PYGA Euro Steel’s Philip Buys wins the national marathon title at the Sappi Karkloof Classic Trail Festival on Sunday. Anthony Grote/ Gameplan Media

Both riders were chasing down a first national marathon title and they produced equally dominant displays on a picturesque day in the Karkloof.

The racing was fierce at the front with a large group jostling it out for position in the early stages of the race with a number of the top riders all in the mi at the front.

At the 30km mark PYGA Euro Steel’s Buys, Team Specialized Toyota’s Tristan Nortje and Team Honeycomb Pro Cycling’s Marc Pritzen had grouped together at the front of the race and the trio stayed together to the top of the tough Lebanon climb before Buys started putting the pressure on at the 40km mark.

D2MensGroup.jpeg
The men’s racing was fierce throughout until PYGA Euro Steel’s Phil Buys (right) got ahead and stayed ahead to claim the overall win at  the Sappi Karkloof Classic Trail Festival on Sunday. Anthony Grote/ Gameplan Media.

From there Buys put in a strong surge after a mistake behind him, and got that decisive gap on the chasing field but had 30km to negotiate at the front of the race.

He kept his head down from there and powered to a memorable victory ahead of Marc Pritzen in second and Tristan Nortje in third.

D2SecondThird.jpeg
It was an exciting race for second in the men’s race with Team Honeycomb Pro Cycling’s Marc Pritzen (left) and Team Specialized Toyota’s Tristan Nortje (right) fighting it out before Pritzen claimed the silver medal at the end of the Sappi Karkloof Classic Trail Festival on Sunday. Anthony Grote/ Gameplan Media.

“This is a title that has eluded me forever and to finally win it is very satisfying,” Buys said.

“I’ve felt really good over the last month and I think the race was at the perfect time because if it was any later I don’t think I would have been as strong.

“I thought the distance would get me in the end but I just had enough in the tank.”

It was an unfortunate day for defending champion Matt Beers who had to settle for fourth following a navigation issue that saw him fall off the pace and finish just off the podium.

The women’s race was another exciting clash to a point before the unrivalled Symbtech ZA’s Wakefield got herself in the lead and never looked back.

D2WakefieldWins.jpeg
Symbtech ZA’s Amy Wakefield produced a dominant display to claim her maiden national marathon title at the Sappi Karkloof Classic Trail Festival on Sunday. Gavin Ryan/ Quick Pix/ Gameplan Media.

Despite what appeared to be a dominant victory, Wakefield was haunted by mechanical issues throughout the race.

“I’m still trying to process this because fifteen kays in my shifter stopped working so I didn’t have gears,” Wakefield said.

“I had to fix that so lost about six or seven minutes and had to fight back from there.

“I then lost my gears again so had to get a new shifter put in in the tech zone so I thought from there that I had lost the race.”

It was a strong fight back from Wakefield who eventually got herself back to the front and puts this win down to pure determination.

“I have wanted this title for so many years so the determination as well as the preparation got me over the line. I’ve been working so hard with my coach and put absolutely everything into my training.

“That along with just keeping calm and putting my head down because I wanted this title so much gave me the strength in the end.”

D2DeVilliersWakefield.jpeg
2021 national marathon champion Yolande de Villiers (left) and 2022 champion Amy Wakefield battle it out during  the Sappi Karkloof Classic Trail Festival on Sunday. Anthony Grote/ Gameplan Media.

Efficient Insure Infinity Sam Saunders came home in second in the women’s race with a comfortable gap back to team mate Theresa Ralph in third.

In the 60km Marathon, the Junior Men’s race saw Franjo Hattingh claim the national crown while Omar Wilson won the Youth Men’s title.

The Youth Women’s title went to Carla Janse van Vuuren while the Junior Women’s crown was won by Riley Smith.

D2Sanders.jpeg
Efficient Insure Infinity’s Sam Saunders fought hard to finish second in the women’s race at the Sappi Karkloof Classic Trail Festival on Sunday. Anthony Grote/ Gameplan Media.

SUMMARY OF RESULTS – Sappi Karkloof Classic Trail Festival

85km Marathon
Overall

1. Phil Buys 3:45:42
2. Marc Pritzen 3:46:55
3. Tristan Nortje 3:47:01
4. Matt Beers 3:48:19
5. Marco Joubert 3:48:31
6. Wessel Botha 3:50:07
7. Gert Heyns 3:50:08
8. Arno du Toit 3:52:52
9. Johan Fourie de Villiers 3:55:33
10. Keagan Bontekoning 3:57:00

Women
1. Amy Wakefield 4:49:47
2. Samantha Saunders 5:00:20
3. Theresa Ralph 5:03:32
4. Yolande de Villiers 5:10:46
5. Janice Venter 5:27:49

60km Marathon
Junior Men

1. Franjo Hattingh 2:50:58
2. Jordan Boschoff 2:534:45
3. Justin Swanepoel 2:55:33

Youth Men
1. Omar Wilson 2:51:53
2. Jean-Jacques Koekemoer 3:01:37
3. Miles Liebenberg 3:04:08

40km Marathon
Junior Women

1. Riley Smith 2:31:20
2. Tyler Jacobs 2:32:45
3. Kayleigh Stevenson 2:47:53

Youth Women
1. Carla Jansen van Vuuren 2:27:22
2. Jodi Mackinnon 2:32:38
3. Errin Mackridge 2:35:28

Comments

Jorrie

May 29, 2022, 5:45 PM

Where can you find the full results?

OVERDRIVE

May 29, 2022, 7:58 PM

In the article...

Christofison

May 30, 2022, 4:55 AM

8 hours ago, OVERDRIVE said:

In the article...

That's a summary 🤦‍♂️

splat

May 30, 2022, 5:01 AM

Great riding
Congrats to the winners

I was expecting Matt Beers to wipe the floor with everyone though.
Especially after his success in the US and A.

J Wakefield

May 30, 2022, 6:41 AM

1 hour ago, splat said:

Great riding
Congrats to the winners

I was expecting Matt Beers to wipe the floor with everyone though.
Especially after his success in the US and A.

Matt has 3 broken ribs and was sent the wrong way due to bad markings. Lost just under 3min. But that is racing.

Taking nothing away from Phil he was the deserved winner. he was so good on the day

GhostSixFour

May 30, 2022, 6:48 AM

7 minutes ago, J Wakefield said:

Matt has 3 broken ribs and was sent the wrong way due to bad markings. Lost just under 3min. But that is racing.

Taking nothing away from Phil he was the deserved winner. he was so good on the day

Is Amy family of yours? If so, congrats!

Danger Dassie

May 30, 2022, 6:58 AM

That was some superlative racing with a quality field, and Karkloof is the perfect setting. World class riding there!

Enjoyed the coverage from Wildair, team did a good job with live updates and content across Instagram/FB

Can still view the live footage on their Instagram stories. https://instagram.com/wildairsports?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

DieselnDust

May 30, 2022, 7:48 AM

I see Amy had some trouble with her Shifter and swapped it out for a replacement unit at the tech  zone. Gone are the days when a spare shifter cable in the saddle bag was enough to get you home

Jewbacca

May 30, 2022, 8:14 AM

Luckily she is a former single speed world champ!

babse

May 30, 2022, 9:31 AM

1 hour ago, DieselnDust said:

I see Amy had some trouble with her Shifter and swapped it out for a replacement unit at the tech  zone. Gone are the days when a spare shifter cable in the saddle bag was enough to get you home

another AXS strike?

DieselnDust

May 30, 2022, 9:52 AM

19 minutes ago, babse said:

another AXS strike?

Seems like it and tyres were burned

Christofison

May 31, 2022, 6:04 AM

On 5/29/2022 at 7:45 PM, Jorrie said:

Where can you find the full results?

https://roag.org/events/event-results/3864?race=10092

Add a comment