Events

Cape Town Cycle Tour agrees to Women’s only Invitational start group starting in Glencairn

· By Press Office · 126 comments

Following a request and extensive discussion with the Women’s Commission of Cycling South Africa and representatives of the Cape Town Cycle Tour, it has been agreed that we will facilitate a Women’s only Invitational start group in Glencairn.

All elite and U23 women that have been seeded into the % start group will have the option to start at a new revised start area on the corner of Main Road and Blackhill Road/Glencairn Expressway. The start time for the Invitational will be at 06:30 – light permitting – and the approximate distance is 76km.

It is important to note that the prize monies and title for the 2017 Cape Town Cycle Tour will be awarded to the winner of this start group. The U23 category title will also be awarded to a participant from this group. For the sake of clarity, should an U23 rider win the event, they will receive both the overall winners title as well as the U23 title.

All other age category awards will go to those participants in the traditional 109km Cape Town Cycle Tour.

Existing seedings and race numbers will remain valid for the main event.

Details around the support vehicles for the Invitational race will be conveyed and confirmed at the managers meeting, with the Chief Commissaire, which will be held at the Cullinan Hotel on Saturday 11th March at 14h00.

We thank the City of Cape Town for going the extra mile in facilitating this new opportunity for women’s racing and wish all participants a safe and successful race.

For more information on the 2017 Cape Town Cycle Tour, please visit http://capetowncycletour.com/ or follow us on Facebook , twitter (@CTCycleTour) and on Instagram (@ctcycletour).

Related posts

Comments

raptor

Mar 9, 2017, 12:29 PM

Wonder if they have separate results page compared to the woman who is doing the full 109km.

Cat2forLife

Mar 9, 2017, 12:33 PM

Why exactly are they doing this?

SpokeTooSoon

Mar 9, 2017, 12:35 PM

I do believe the answer to your question lies in the first three words of the story... "Following a request"

Jase619

Mar 9, 2017, 12:37 PM

I do believe the answer to your question lies in the first three words of the story... "Following a request"

Presume he meant the reason for the change, not the obvious fact that a request was made. . . 

Flemish Lion

Mar 9, 2017, 12:38 PM

So my wife's team decided not to send her down as racing with men is pointless as because of her size sprinting against them (read sucking the fastest men's wheel) is not her strength...

Now THIS changes everything and the race is in her favor....

What a complete fukcup!

So hasn't even trained all week as she was demotivated... even if she would go down now...

If you can't organise a proper race just call it a funride and get one with it ;)

lechatnoir

Mar 9, 2017, 12:38 PM

Will they be riding e-bikes?  :ph34r:

Slowone

Mar 9, 2017, 12:39 PM

Why a shorter distance ... what happen to equality .... 

A woman's only start group i can understand.... 

Wont the men catch them and then have a problem going past them ....

Meezo

Mar 9, 2017, 12:40 PM

Money money money

Vetplant

Mar 9, 2017, 12:41 PM

Sure, someone asked, but what is the justification?

If I ask Minister Dlamini for R100k, will she just give me the money, or will I have to justify it somehow, like delivering a service or favour?

I still don't get why, on the ATP and WTA tours, the men and women play 3 sets each, but when the Majors come around, only the men play 5 sets and the women still only play 3. More TV time will mean more sponsorship money, which will mean more prize money. 

shaper

Mar 9, 2017, 12:42 PM

Some preferential treatment going on here... as by invite only!  Sort of not real the CTCT for the elites and U23 if only doing part distance

Slowone

Mar 9, 2017, 12:48 PM

and .. they announce this 2 1/2 days before the start .... why not make it from next year if they want to give the elite ladies a shorter route ... then they can at least train properly for it ....

So now they trained for 109 km ...  including 1 extra hill .... If they had known .. they could have adapted there training accordingly ... Sometimes i wonder if the organizers know how much there decisions affect the participants .. Maybe only if it effect the bottom line then they will worry.

Ferro

Mar 9, 2017, 12:52 PM

Can i request that people weighing over 110kg start from the top of Suikerbossie?

Skubarra

Mar 9, 2017, 12:54 PM

and .. they announce this 2 1/2 days before the start .... why not make it from next year if they want to give the elite ladies a shorter route ... then they can at least train properly for it ....

So now they trained for 109 km ...  including 1 extra hill .... If they had known .. they could have adapted there training accordingly ... Sometimes i wonder if the organizers know how much there decisions affect the participants .. Maybe only if it effect the bottom line then they will worry.

Not sure if you are sarcastic or not?? Whether the race is 109 or 100 or 90km would have made no difference to their training at all.

For years the organisers have failed to find a starting spot for the ladies where they don't get caught by the fun riders - think this is a great solution.

If any of the moaners on here have a brilliant alternative solution that nobody else have thought off I'm sure the organisers would be more than happy to hear them.

carbon29er

Mar 9, 2017, 12:57 PM

Very good news for Women's cycling on the whole to have a stand alone race. The late notice is unfortunate but a start has to be made somewhere.

Well done CSA and CTCT.

Bateleur1

Mar 9, 2017, 12:58 PM

Maybe I am missing something here but also having a huge WTF moment here.

SA Cycling wonder why our girls have such a tough time to get into the European style of riding and the answer to this is a shorter race?

carbon29er

Mar 9, 2017, 12:58 PM

Apart from being totally misogynist I'm sure you can work it out for yourself.

Jase619

Mar 9, 2017, 1:01 PM

Can i request that people weighing over 110kg start from the top of Suikerbossie?

How would you get to the top to start?  :P

jcza

Mar 9, 2017, 1:09 PM

Race only starts on Chappies so shorter distance shouldnt matter. 

Total shambles last year with men catching ladies very early on. (same as every other year) 

Correct decision. Ladies should have their own race. 

'Dale

Mar 9, 2017, 1:12 PM

Granted

Subject to you riding a Es-Werke or a Pinachello

Bateleur1

Mar 9, 2017, 1:15 PM

Race only starts on Chappies so shorter distance shouldnt matter. 

Total shambles last year with men catching ladies very early on. (same as every other year) 

Correct decision. Ladies should have their own race. 

I fully agree with the race on their own.  Just don't think we are doing any favours in lowering the standards.

jcza

Mar 9, 2017, 1:17 PM

I fully agree with the race on their own.  Just don't think we are doing any favours in lowering the standards.

All over Europe ladies races are shorter and I don't think it means that the standard is lower. 

Bateleur1

Mar 9, 2017, 1:24 PM

All over Europe ladies races are shorter and I don't think it means that the standard is lower. 

Shorter than the mens races yes (which is closer or over 200 km) but not 70 odd km.

'Dale

Mar 9, 2017, 1:24 PM

Useful experiment at least

Trial

Let's see how it can boost women's cycling ????????

Jase619

Mar 9, 2017, 1:29 PM

Shorter than the mens races yes (which is closer or over 200 km) but not 70 odd km.

Okay, so if the men's race is say 200km, what would the women's race then be?

If you say about 150km, then I would see this as making sense. . . a proportionate reduction in the race distance. And more importantly allowing the women to race on their own.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment