Events

Cape Town Cycle Tour general entries close in record time

· By Press Office · 35 comments

General entries for the 2015 Cape Town Cycle Tour, the world’s largest timed cycle race, have closed in record time – a staggering 8 hours!

Entries opened at 14h00 on Friday, 26 September and by 22h00 all general entries had been filled.

The Cycle Tour – in recognition of its global status and international appeal – was recently renamed to the Cape Town Cycle Tour and attracts cyclists from around the world to participate in this iconic event each year.

David Bellairs, a director of the Cape Town Cycle Tour Trust who organise the annual event, says: “We are delighted that the newly renamed Cape Town Cycle Tour is still as popular as it has been over the past 37 years, even though we are completely taken aback by the speed at which entries have sold out.

“We understand that there is still a great demand for entries and we will investigate the possibility of freeing up some Corporate Group Entries to try and accommodate individuals that were unsuccessful. An announcement in this regard will be made by the end of October,” concludes Bellairs.

In 2012, charity entries were introduced for the first time with some 5 000 entries offered to various charity groups. At current count there are more than 110 charities registered to benefit from the 2015 Cycle Tour. Cyclists still looking to secure a place in next year’s event should visit www.cycletour.co.za and follow the links to charity group entries from the home page.

The Cape Town Cycle Tour will take place on Sunday, 8 March 2015 as approximately 35 000 riders line up in Hertzog Boulevard to tackle the spectacular 109km route around the peninsula.

Related posts

Comments

'Dale

Sep 27, 2014, 11:08 AM

Amazing

The sport is nice and healthy hey

WesleyR

Sep 27, 2014, 11:11 AM

Dammit, I was in meetings the whole day yesterday and forgot to enter last night!!    :eek:

rock

Sep 27, 2014, 11:32 AM

I'm really surprised, it uses to take like 2 weeks before? Fun riding is big round these here parts.

Starvin' Marvin

Sep 27, 2014, 12:16 PM

Who said road cycling is dying?

boristheblade

Sep 27, 2014, 12:35 PM

have now entered both the MTB (55km) and the road cycle (argus) - was told you get a special medal when doing both? 

studog

Sep 27, 2014, 12:50 PM

Nice to see that there are so many keen cyclists, but not not happy that I missed getting an entry after only missing one year in the last 11 years!

Meezo

Sep 27, 2014, 2:39 PM

Missed it! ????

kandui

Sep 27, 2014, 2:43 PM

Remember that PPA members were allowed to enter a week and a bit ago. That would have taken away a chunk of entries already.

porqui

Sep 27, 2014, 4:30 PM

Plenty of entries held by charities etc - I'm sure they will be available at a price.

'Dale

Sep 27, 2014, 5:52 PM

Missed it!

:wacko:

Mongoose!

Sep 27, 2014, 7:23 PM

Thanks PPA

Mongoose!

Sep 27, 2014, 7:33 PM

Who said road cycling is dying?[/quote

Can be that most of the entrants will be people on mtb's

Just having some fun for one day on the tarmac.

Please note the "one day"

Ttocs

Sep 29, 2014, 7:07 AM

I logged on at 2.05pm and I was 10,260 in the queing system, elected the notify me mail.

Got the mail when it was close to my turn at 4pm and entered 10 minutes later.

Worked like a dream and well done to the events team.

A number of MTB race events ie (sani2c) can learn quite a bit from this system and how painless if can be get a couple thousand people through a entry platform

Meezo

Sep 29, 2014, 8:18 AM

:wacko:

Ja, no dc, and now no argus!!! SAD SAD SAD

Tubehunter

Sep 29, 2014, 8:21 AM

Make a plan for a charity entry ekse!

'Dale

Sep 29, 2014, 8:24 AM

That's rof, man

See you at the Burger maybe

Skubarra

Sep 29, 2014, 8:49 AM

That's rof, man

See you at the Burger maybe

On the Burger, wouldn't it be great if the try to grow the numbers of that race and also get us road closures. I'm sure the cape cyclists can fill-up more than one "closed road" race in a year..

Paulst12

Sep 29, 2014, 8:56 AM

Whatever happened to the VIP entries? I used to get a mail saying my spot was reserved for a certain amount of time failing which it would be given up to the waiting list...

Ratty

Sep 29, 2014, 9:14 AM

On the Burger, wouldn't it be great if the try to grow the numbers of that race and also get us road closures. I'm sure the cape cyclists can fill-up more than one "closed road" race in a yea

The timing of Die Burger (30 Nov) this year clashes with the Origin or Trails (28/29th Nov).  Don't think I want to ride Die Burger after 2 days tough mtbing in Stellenbosh.

What is sad is that its my last chance to get seeded :-( 

AuctionLamb

Sep 29, 2014, 9:37 AM

You will def see a spike in new PPA members next year, this only to get access to an early "VIP" Argus entry. Sneaky way of getting more members because memberships might be a bit down since there is almost no road races.

Omar

Sep 29, 2014, 9:45 AM

You will def see a spike in new PPA members next year, this only to get access to an early "VIP" Argus entry. Sneaky way of getting more members because memberships might be a bit down since there is almost no road races.

i agree - the ppa dont cater for the roadies anymore and they were losing members to the clubs who have rides every weekend for just the price of annual subs.

Cycling Addict

Sep 29, 2014, 11:08 AM

I cannot believe they are all sold out - they are just keeping more aside for Charities etc. - i.e. making us pay more than normal???

KarlvN

Sep 30, 2014, 11:19 AM

I managed to get my entry in right at the get go. I was EXTREEEEMELY lucky, as it literaly took me less than 4 minutes for the transaction to be complete. When I decided to enter the mtb event I got queued and was informed that I would have to wait something like 48 hours to get my chance...

Sexylegs

Sep 30, 2014, 12:13 PM

There is no doubt that the entries closed hectically quickly. If some corporate entries are made available that would be great. Not sure how that notification will be made, but I wont miss that one !!

Add a comment

You must log in to comment