Events

Challenge Mallorca #4: Fraile goes on the attack, Reguigui sprints to 7th

· By Press Office · 0 comments

The final day of the Mallorca Challenge came down to a bunch sprint in Palma, Mallorca. Andre Greipel (Lotto-Soudal) was once again the fastest, with Nacer Bouhanni (Cofidis) 2nd and Dylan Page (Team Roth) taking 3rd spot.

Team Dimension Data for Qhubeka again put its cards on the table early on with Omar Fraile jumping into the break of the day that formed just after kilometer zero was passed. Omar was joined by Luis Mas Bonet (Caja-Rural) and Imanol Estevez (Euskadi) for the day and the trio enjoyed a 7 minute lead at one point.

ccs-62657-0-36398300-1454250325.jpg

With two of the fastest men in the bunch, and a flat circuit finish that suited the sprinters, Lotto-Soudal and Bora Argon 18 took up the chase from the peloton. The break was always doomed from the onset but Omar’s efforts weren’t in vain as he won the King of the Mountains prize for the day.

The trio were caught with 30km left to race and on the circuit, no attackers were going to be allowed to get away. Our African Team turned to Youcef Reguigui who would give the sprint finale a good go. Lotto-Soudal proved to have the strongest leadout today as they were able to deliver Greipel to a good spot from where he could take the win. Youcef was up there in the thick of things thanks to a great team effort, and sprinted across the line to 7th place for our African Team.

Omar got into the break with 2 other guys so that allowed us to ride easy in the peloton. There was a bit of stress on the only climb of the race with a small split. I just followed the wheels of my teammates and they kept me in a great position. I got to the final lap still in the wheel of Jay and Bernie. There were a few close calls with some guys riding into Jay but he did great to keep me in a good position. In the final kilometer Bernie brought me to the wheel of Bennett and Greipel. There was some stress for me in the final 400m with riders coming across me but I finished 7th. My condition is such that I was able to do a better result than I did today. I hope I can race more with Bernie because his experience is incredible and I can definitely get better results by learning from him.
Youcef Reguigui – Rider

Comments

There are no comments yet. Why not add yours below.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment