Events

Change A Life Academy Team eager to race in honour of Madiba

· By Press Office · 0 comments

Founder of the RMB Change a Life Academy and keen multi-sport enthusiast, Martin Dreyer, will be bringing his MTB team from the Valley of a Thousand Hills to take part in the Mandela Day Marathon MTB Dash, which takes place at the Nelson Mandela Capture Site on Saturday 27 August. The mountain bike event forms part of the greater Mandela Day Marathon sports festival over the same weekend.

“Some of the riders have done both MTB Dash events, but the team has been evolving and there have been some new guys coming into the team,” said Dreyer. “It’s going to be quite nice because some of the more experienced riders will be able to tell the younger guys that it is a tough ride. It’s by no means easy – the 42-kilometre distance is quite deceiving. Having Nick Floros, the Rio Olympic course designer, set the route adds a lot of value to the Mandela Day Marathon MTB Dash. But having said that, it does make it an honest, hard course for those racing at the top,” he added.

ccs-62657-0-20335000-1470994901.jpgMazwi Simango of the RMB Change a Life Academy MTB Team will be taking part in the 2016 edition of the iconic Mandela Day Marathon MTB Dash, which takes place at the Nelson Mandela Capture Site (R103) KwaZulu-Natal on Saturday 27 August 2016. Photo: Gavin Ryan/QuickPix Photography
ccs-62657-0-67829400-1470994901.jpgSthembiso Masango, part of the RMB Change a Life Academy MTB Team that will be taking part in the the 2016 edition of the Mandela Day Marathon MTB Dash, which takes place at the Nelson Mandela Capture Site (R103) KwaZulu-Natal on Saturday 27 August 2016 Photo: Gavin Ryan/QuickPix Photography

“I think it’s what the guys want as a challenge, because if you don’t want a tough ride then you do the lesser distances.” Paralleled to the distances of running races, there is also the option of taking part in the 21-kilometre Intermediate and the 10-kilometre Fun Ride.

“One of my good riders did race in the 21km last year and he is bragging about how he has the record now. But I explained that he was racing against kids so we’ll see if he races against the men in the 42km this year,” Dreyer said.

In terms of the late former President Nelson Mandela’s legacy and racing in his honour for freedom, Dreyer explained how his team prepares for such an iconic race. “Mandela is their ultimate role model, they look up to him with huge respect. Just to have his name associated to the race creates a good vibe.

“It’s just wonderful from my side, to see the municipal support coming into sport with the marathon, trail running, triathlon and mountain biking, because most of our local races are privately sponsored but this has got the municipal support, which is a great thing.”

Speaking about the size of his team, Dreyer explained that it revolves around the number 10. “It is the optimum amount in terms of bike maintenance, food parcels, ten-in-a-taxi. It is budget restrained but a team of 10 is enough for me to manage. Some new guys come in, some guys move off because they have raced hard for two years and then they get an opportunity to study or they get a job.

“For a rider like John (Ntuli), he has been taken to the highest level with a private sponsor, Merchants. You can say that he is a professional mountain biker, earning a salary. He’s a clean-cut, hard worker and the guys look up to him and are proud of him. I feel that he is deserving of that type of sponsor.”

Dreyer also extended thanks to event organiser Alec Lenferna for his support of the RMB Mountain Bike Academy, and for helping with the entry fees. “Wherever I can save costs in one place I can add value somewhere else,” said Dreyer.

The start and finish of the mountain bike race takes place at the famous Nelson Mandela Capture Site, in the KwaZulu-Natal Midlands (near Midmar Dam). Not only will the essence of Madiba draw the crowds, but also a lucrative prize purse, which will be an added bonus to the already incredible event.

Online pre-entries for the Mandela Day Marathon MTB Dash are open, and close on Wednesday 24 August. Late entries will be accepted at registration, which is at Olympia Hall, Royal Showgrounds, Pietermaritzburg from 11:00-17:00 on Friday 26 August, and at the Nelson Mandela Capture Site from 06:00-07:30 on race day, Saturday 27 August.

For information on the 2016 Mandela Day Marathon MTB Dash, visit the official website – http://www.mandelamarathon.co.za/

For more information on KZN MTB Commission, visit – http://www.kznmtb.co.za/
For the online event entries, visit the ROAG website – http://www.roag.co.za/eventinfo.aspx?EventID=1735

Comments

There are no comments yet. Why not add yours below.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment