Events

Croc2Croc: A unique approach taking boutique MTB stage events to the next level

· By Press Office · 21 comments

The Croc2Croc@Verlorenkloof aims to be the perfect MTB event and promises riders a weekend of unforgettable and extreme MTB pleasure.

ccs-62657-0-94013100-1452860421.jpg

The Croc2Croc MTB stage event takes place between 27 and 30 May at Verlorenkloof in the heart of the trout triangle in Mpumalanga. According to Event Director Luther Erasmus the Croc2Croc dream started many years ago while he was exploring ‘valley upon valley’ in the region on his mountain bike.

After having trialed the Croc2Croc over the past couple of years with his MTB buddies, Erasmus teamed up with Eric Johnson, owner of the well-established Verlorenkloof Estate, and local trout farmer Reinier van der Merwe, also an avid mountain biker.

“The Kwena Basin has some of the most unique and diverse landscapes in South Africa. Apart from the Steenkampsberg, the Crocodile and Lunsklip rivers and numerous waterfalls, the isolated valleys serve as link between the savannah of the Highlands and the Lowveld’s natural bush and forests” said Johnson.

Van der Merwe added “It has so much to offer it took us almost two years to put together the ideal mixture of tracks and to determine the ideal distance and elevation for such an event.”

ccs-62657-0-95741400-1452860422.jpg

“Most avid MTB riders know that the N4 leads to places such as Dullstroom, Sabie, Baberton and other iconic MTB locations in Mpumalanga. Few people know the R36 that runs from Bambi to Lydenburg…” noted Erasmus.

“Halfway down the escarpment, it meanders through the Kwena Basin Conservancy. Travelling through the valley one gets the impression that all of the above places are packed into one idyllic area of approximately 120,000 hectares, a mere 2.5 hours’ drive from Gauteng.”

The Croc2Croc route is exclusively on private land. It traverses approximately fifty trout and game farms, cattle and horse farms, orchards and irrigation farms, as well as conservancies and forestry land.

It allows for a fun-filled, yet challenging Prologue on mostly single tracks along the Crocodile River at Verlorenkloof. Day 2 has a ‘monstrous’ stage of epic proportions – it takes on the valleys and foothills, ascends the eastern escarpment and circumnavigates the Kwena Dam. Day 3 is old school MTB Classic style and includes paying the Highlands a visit at an altitude of 2000 m before dropping 800 meters back into the Kwena Basin on an ancient ox wagon trail.

ccs-62657-0-87786200-1452860420.jpg

According to Van der Merwe virtually none of the Croc2Croc will take place on district roads. “Riders will instead encounter a fine balance between isolated farm roads and Jeep Tracks, single and river tracks, cattle tracks and 2-spoor roads, as well as forest and plantation roads.”

Being an ex-adventure racer, Erasmus explained that the Croc2Croc will be an adventure experience for all. “There is a Wild Croc and a Mild Croc route – the routes are interlinked and riders decide on-the-fly how ‘wild’ or ‘mild’ it should be. The Mild Croc route will be accommodating and forgiving to ensure that the entire route is ridable to all athletes, irrespective of technical skills, experience, age or ego. Mpumalanga is not flat and the Wild Croc route is extreme – full stop.”

The Croc2Croc route has been designed to allow Mild Crocs to also push the boundaries by selecting any of the rated Wild Croc extreme sections during the various stages of the event. But Erasmus forewarned “Unless you are an experienced and seasoned mountain biker, riders should try not to fall for too many extreme temptations as such impulsive decisions will lead to severe tiredness or discomfort, all self-inflicted…”

ccs-62657-0-46731700-1452860421.jpg

Few venues in South Africa allow for an all-inclusive luxury and extreme MTB stage event experience. Erasmus further elaborated “Even fewer events allow for supporters or partners to participate and enjoy in the experience by way of outdoor activities. Verlorenkloof offers activities such as hiking, trail-running or mountain biking, horse-riding, fly fishing or birding. Add to this a supporters’ brunch on the river banks below the Lunsklip waterfall, or a day at a luxury spa in the mountains, or spectator friendly and scenic water points… truly an unique experience.”

We all know that MTB has become the new ‘golf’ of corporate entertainment. According to Erasmus “many companies are searching for new ways to provide a client focused experience. Verlorenkloof’s crofts offer corporates a level of unmatched luxury and exclusivity while at the same time participating in a conventional stage event that caters for most levels of MTBers, and their supporters…”
The Croc2Croc will enable corporate groups to achieve their mission by allowing colleagues to share the same fear and excitement, or tiredness, frustration and satisfaction by finishing as a team. The same adrenaline rush can also be shared with key customers, suppliers or business partners on a competitive or social basis. This also applies to individual teams, groups of friends or club riders.
Erasmus concluded “We have the ideal location and have designed the ideal route for a MTB stage event. It provides a feeling of freedom and remoteness, and is in harmony with nature. It has a variety and diversity in terrain and tracks seldom experienced before. It is challenging yet rider friendly. And it has spectacular spectator points and activities to offer.”

ccs-62657-0-44030900-1452860422.jpg

The Croc2Croc represents a paradigm shift in presenting boutique MTB stage events. By fulfilling all of the requirements and expectations of riders, partners, supporters and sponsors, the Croc2Croc will raise the bar to levels not previously experienced… Erasmus calls it “the perfect MTB hypothesis”.

The field for the inaugural Croc2Croc@Verlorenkloof event will be limited to 100 2-person teams and approximately 50 partners or supporters sharing.

Visit www.verlorenkloof.co.za for more information. Alternatively, phone 082 048 0777 or email croc2croc@verlorenkloof.co.za or croc2crocmtb@gmail.com.

Comments

Shebeen

Jan 18, 2016, 5:26 AM

No price in the blurb usually means it's not insignificant

Skubarra

Jan 18, 2016, 5:31 AM

No price in the blurb usually means it's not insignificant

Hehe. My thoughts exactly. And if the sentence "mtb'ing is the new golf" is in there that's the point I stop reading..

But with a bit of digging I saw the entry fee is R12K per team and includes accomodation. Not ridicilous compared to similar events imo.

NelAndre

Jan 18, 2016, 9:08 AM

Yeah whilst reading it I also heard the till ringing. The event write up makes it look like a great opportunity to cycle the path less traveled.......

Ryanpmb

Jan 18, 2016, 7:26 PM

What's a boutique MTB event? Is it like a boutique hotel? Or boutique hairdresser? Or boutique coffee shop? Just sounds like another MTB event, another hotel, another hairdresser, another coffee shop... ... ...

madbradd

Jan 19, 2016, 5:19 AM

It sounds more like an event than a race (with the Mild and Wild), with a number of "side" trails which make up the Wild part of it. I think this is a pretty cool idea, but not really sure how it will be managed.

I get the impression from the write up that it's going to be a bit more Grace2Grace than Trailseeker (I get this from the "boutique" Ryanpmb).

Above in mind, it really does sound pretty awesome. Looking forward to see whether this is just a well written preview, or if it lives up to it.

Randall7

Jan 19, 2016, 2:42 PM

R12000 per team. with luxury accommodation for 3 days. very reasonable

madbradd

Jan 19, 2016, 2:43 PM

R12000 per team. with luxury accommodation for 3 days. very reasonable

That's really not bad

luthere

Jan 25, 2016, 6:09 PM

That's really not bad

Unlikely that this can / will be beaten in 2016 in terms of value for money... level of accommodation at Verlorenkloof simply too high irrespective of the route

luthere

Jan 25, 2016, 6:16 PM

It sounds more like an event than a race (with the Mild and Wild), with a number of "side" trails which make up the Wild part of it. I think this is a pretty cool idea, but not really sure how it will be managed.

I get the impression from the write up that it's going to be a bit more Grace2Grace than Trailseeker (I get this from the "boutique" Ryanpmb).

Above in mind, it really does sound pretty awesome. Looking forward to see whether this is just a well written preview, or if it lives up to it.

Mild Croc will be an 'event' for all to enjoy (Grace2Grace style), but Wild Croc will be a tough nut to crack and very competitive! It will be unique, more so than any other route / race in the country...:)

luthere

Jan 25, 2016, 6:22 PM

Route concept and layout 'only' took 3 yrs to put together... This concept has been successfully tried and tested in 100s of adventure races over the past couple of decades, but putting it together requires a huge amount of energy, planning and testing.  

luthere

Jan 25, 2016, 6:33 PM

What's a boutique MTB event? Is it like a boutique hotel? Or boutique hairdresser? Or boutique coffee shop? Just sounds like another MTB event, another hotel, another hairdresser, another coffee shop... ... ...

Small and stylish, something very special and dear...

luthere

Jan 25, 2016, 6:42 PM

Hehe. My thoughts exactly. And if the sentence "mtb'ing is the new golf" is in there that's the point I stop reading..

But with a bit of digging I saw the entry fee is R12K per team and includes accomodation. Not ridicilous compared to similar events imo.

R12k per team / R6k solo, 3 days of luxury accommodation, 95% of route on private land... R3k for supporter sharing with more supporter activities than ALL other stage events put together! No corrugated district roads, no over-crowded race village, share ablutions or stuffy 2-man tents! Is this a value proposition? 'Golf' analogy interesting as that appears to be the only area on which they want to splash on clients? 

luthere

Jan 25, 2016, 6:51 PM

Yeah whilst reading it I also heard the till ringing. The event write up makes it look like a great opportunity to cycle the path less traveled.......

Concept of the Croc2Croc was born in 2013 after the 10th edition of the Epic - one too many events that over charge the client (good brand equity?), too many nights in over crowed race villages, unrideable (sand) tracks, boring tracks, and the list goes on and on...  The challenge is to offer an event for LESS than comparable tented accommodation, with vastly superior accommodation and a route that keeps you mentally and physically on the edge! But the proof of the pudding will be in the eating...

Grey Hubs

May 25, 2016, 9:10 AM

If anyone is doing the Wild Croc event, please report back and let us know:

- how well/poor the event was managed

- how the actual riding is on the WILD side

- was it fun or just hard climbs

- how does it rate to some of the other 3 day stage races?

- how Lux was the accommodation/food?

- worth the $$$$?

This is definitely on my bucket list and to be honest, I would prefer smaller tailor made events with a more relaxed vibe...

Not strong enough for this year's event... Hopefully 2017!

CAAD4

May 25, 2016, 9:22 AM

Crocs in the Goodie Bag?

Grey Hubs

May 25, 2016, 9:33 AM

Crocs in the Goodie Bag?

You should be in marketing  :thumbup:

I FLY

May 25, 2016, 9:47 AM

I go and ride in these valleys a couple of times a year and always go to this resort for a meal.

There are some excellent forestry roads with serious ascents/descents. One section is about 8kms with 600m of altitude difference. Another is 2kms with 280m altitude difference.

I look forward to seeing the Strava maps as I am there on 11-12 June with my bike.

My profile photo was taken at the start from my friend's smallholding in the one valley

MTBeer

May 25, 2016, 9:48 AM

We all know that MTB has become the new ‘golf’ of corporate entertainment. According to Erasmus “many companies are searching for new ways to provide a client focused experience.

in other words loads of corporate types on Spec expensive bikes they don't know how to ride. No thanks

I FLY

May 25, 2016, 9:55 AM

Crocs in the Goodie Bag?

We also do some 3D compound bow shooting.

One of the targets was a full size crocodile which was set up next to a stream. After one heavy storm it was washed down the stream towards the Kwena Dam. So if you see a croc it may or may not be real.

Grey Hubs

May 25, 2016, 9:58 AM

We all know that MTB has become the new ‘golf’ of corporate entertainment. According to Erasmus “many companies are searching for new ways to provide a client focused experience.

in other words loads of corporate types on Spec expensive bikes they don't know how to ride. No thanks

If you don't think this it fits your profile of riding, don't go...I'm with you on the high value bikes that people can't ride. But then I think most bikes are never used within their ability!

You got to start some where some time. We can't all be expert riders the first time you climb on the bike... 

Grey Hubs

Jun 27, 2016, 8:17 AM

Any feedback on Croc2Croc this year? pics/video/comments?

Add a comment

You must log in to comment