Events

Cycling South Africa allows disc brakes in local road racing

· By Press Office · 39 comments

Since the inclusion of disc brakes on road bikes in the WorldTour events, Cycling South Africa has received numerous requests to allow riders to use disc brakes road bikes in road races.

ccs-62657-0-33745200-1519733188.jpg

The introduction of disc brakes on road bikes has been a conservative approach by the UCI (International Cycling Union) mainly due to safety concerns and the use of the braking system in large pelotons. The safety concerns included braking differentials and the exposure of disc brakes in crashes. A road bike fitted with disc brakes has a more controlled braking system and can slow a rider much faster and smoother than the standard braking system. This could cause a gross speed differential under braking, resulting in crashes.

Cycling SA follows the guidelines set by the UCI and has not permitted the use of disc brakes in road races.

The UCI have been testing disc brake bikes in the WorldTour for the past 18 months and although there were significant concerns from the outset, these have been addressed. Although the UCI continues to run trials in the WorldTour peloton, it has determined that each National Federation can, at its discretion, permit or forbid the use of disc brakes on road bicycles in road races. The UCI has published the following communique:

“As part of the trial phase for disc brakes during road races, the UCI Management Committee has decided to extend this trial to all events registered on the UCI international calendar, except the Junior events. For road events registered on the national calendar, the decision to permit or forbid disc brakes is at the discretion of National Federations; this includes the National Road Championships.

The Road and Technical Commissions of Cycling South Africa have considered the communique from the UCI and have decided to permit riders to use disc brakes on road bicycles while participating in road racing events. As advised by the UCI, the use of disc brakes in road races will be applicable to all racing categories with the specific exclusion of Junior Men and Women, Youth Men and Women and the younger age groups (i.e. Under 19 and younger).

Cycling SA feels that disc brakes in road races will soon become a norm as the industry keeps pushing technological improvements to bicycles.

The ruling comes into immediate effect.

Comments

Patchelicious

Feb 27, 2018, 11:45 AM

YAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!

Its a pleasure :P

Headshot

Feb 27, 2018, 11:53 AM

Does this mean i should sell my old "used only for the CTCT" road bike to upgrade or will I get along just fine.

I'm worried I will be braking too soon and get taken out by late brakers on discs :-) 

s14phoenix

Feb 27, 2018, 12:12 PM

Does this mean i should sell my old "used only for the CTCT" road bike to upgrade or will I get along just fine.

I'm worried I will be braking too soon and get taken out by late brakers on discs :-) 

yes. and now suddenly your OLD bike is worthless but vintage.

Grease_Monkey

Feb 27, 2018, 12:19 PM

Yes, sell your old bike. If it doesn't have disc brakes it's even more worthless than a 26er. I doubt you will even be able to finish a race on outdated rim brakes.

In all seriousness - I think it's great news :)

shaper

Feb 27, 2018, 12:19 PM

looks forward to lots of nice rim brake wheels going cheap soon in the classifieds :)

Long Wheel Base

Feb 27, 2018, 12:20 PM

Well that took forever.

Lurch the stalker

Feb 27, 2018, 12:23 PM

Newman is gone all of 10 seconds and already things are happening at CSA... ;)

Jewbacca

Feb 27, 2018, 12:24 PM

But they cut like razorblades?

Long Wheel Base

Feb 27, 2018, 12:33 PM

So rock up to the races with hairy legs and get as free shave during the race ;)

Jase619

Feb 27, 2018, 12:36 PM

So rock up to the races with hairy legs and get as free shave during the race ;)

I thought they only decapitated people, and cut holes in shoes???

Vetplant

Feb 27, 2018, 12:37 PM

I've never understood the logic in that argument.

You have so many sharp cogs, cables and a chain that will catch any finger or the teeth that will puncture a piece of flesh, but I have not heard a serious outcry in favour of enclosed power trains.

The massive chainring with teeth have caused me much more damage over my lifetime than any disc brake ever will.

Glad sanity has prevailed.

lechatnoir

Feb 27, 2018, 12:39 PM

yes. and now suddenly your OLD bike is worthless but vintage.

Eroica is the Saturday after the Argus... make the most of it... but check the rules first   

Patchelicious

Feb 27, 2018, 12:39 PM

You have so many sharp cogs, cables and a chain that will catch any finger or the teeth that will puncture a piece of flesh, but I have not heard a serious outcry in favour of enclosed power trains.

The massive chainring with teeth have caused me much more damage over my lifetime than any disc brake ever will.

You know what they should ban in cycling? The ground!

Iwan Kemp

Feb 27, 2018, 12:43 PM

Add in all the catastrophic disc brake incidents happening during mountain biking events each day...

Jewbacca

Feb 27, 2018, 12:43 PM

I agree.... I forgot to use the comic sans

hahaha I would only ever rock up with hairy legs... I don't believe in shaving, not even my face!

goddam hippy!

Patchelicious

Feb 27, 2018, 12:50 PM

I agree.... I forgot to use the comic sans

hahaha I would only ever rock up with hairy legs... I don't believe in shaving, not even my face!

goddam hippy!

This is how I have always pictured you.

SIpZmrV.jpg

Long Wheel Base

Feb 27, 2018, 12:50 PM

goddam hippy!

Then I would avoid anyone with a disk brake bike. Maybe when you see one-scream, shout, point and make a big fuss about this dude riding disk brakes. 

Mongoose!

Feb 27, 2018, 12:59 PM

Would be nice if the following sub heading could be added under classifieds ... ^_^

Road Bikes

- Rim brake

- Disc brake

Time Trial Bikes ()

Gravel / CX Bikes ()

Hybrid & Commuter Bikes ()

Fixie & Single Speed Bikes ()

Tandem Road Bikes ()

Patchelicious

Feb 27, 2018, 1:10 PM

Lol, I have gotten about 15 messages and mails from various people pointing me to this announcement already  :mellow:

Thomo

Feb 27, 2018, 1:36 PM

Is this going to increase the options available locally.?

Just when I was about to move on ... :(

BuffsVintageBikes

Feb 27, 2018, 1:38 PM

Finally sanity has prevailed... maybe it was all thanks to Cyril :ph34r:

Mongoose!

Feb 27, 2018, 1:38 PM

Is this going to increase the options available locally.?

Just when I was about to move on ... :(

for sure second hand rim brake options yes ....bikes  .....frames...wheels...groupsets...

JA-Q001

Feb 27, 2018, 1:46 PM

Classifieds are already 99% rim brake stuff in the road section, so don't think that's going to increase. Actually, we will be seeing less rim brake stuff and more disc stuff.

Halfdoesyn

Feb 27, 2018, 2:38 PM

Well this is going to go well with the missus. Any tips?

Add a comment

You must log in to comment