Events

Cycling’s cream of the crop set for All Africa Challenge

· By Matt · 0 comments

Pietermaritzburg – The CSA KZN All Africa Challenge, comprised of the SA National Track & Para Cycling Championships, SA National BMX Championships and the CSA KZN All Africa MTB Challenge, will have some of South Africa’s top cycling talent on show throughout the six day affair including Olympic hopefuls Sifiso Nhlapo and Nolan Hoffman.

D3NhlapoFlag.jpg

Olympic hopeful Sifiso Nhlapo (MTN Cycling) will hope for a sound performance at the SA National BMX Championships, which form part of the CSA KZN All Africa Challenge, to set him on the right path towards qualification for this year’s London Olympics.

Darren Goddard/Gameplan Media

In a bid to return to the form he took with him to the 2008 Beijing Olympics having suffered a severe knee injury over a year ago Nhlapo (MTN Cycling) has been putting in endless hours in training recently.

After an improved performance at last weekend’s UCI BMX Supercross in Norway he will be hoping a another good effort in the ABA Nationals in USA this weekend before putting in a solid charge at next weekend’s Nationals.

South Africa’s top BMX rider will have his work cut out for him though as the likes of Kyle Dodd and Dean Holdstock look to capitalise on the great form they have shown in recent weeks and put in a strong bid for the highly sought after national title.

2012McGilvrayRamp.jpg

Maritzburg’s Mother of BMX Sharlene McGilvray, one of the sport’s most bubbly and well-recognised personalities, will tackle next weekend’s SA National BMX Championships, which form part of the CSA KZN All Africa Challenge, at Alexandra Park BMX track.

Dave Macleod/Gameplan Media

Maritzburg’s Mother of BMX and self-proclaimed ‘fastest old bat in the world’ Sharlene McGilvray will also be in action next weekend as the former 45+ women’s cruiser world champ looks to put in a strong performance despite having spent the majority of her time on her single speed mountain bike recently.

With all the BMX action taking place at Alexandra Park BMX track, there could well be two Olympic hopefuls in action at the same time in close proximity as Nolan Hoffmann (Tasol GT), who recently claimed second place in the 15km scratch event at the World Track Championships, takes to the recently revamped Alexandra Park track right next door to the BMX track.

2011NolanWave.jpg

15km Scratch World Track Championships Runner-up Nolan Hoffmann (Tasol GT) will have a tough few days ahead of him next week as he looks to tackle the SA National Track & Para Cycling Championships, which form part of the CSA KZN All Africa Challenge, as well as defend his aQuellé Tour Durban title all in the space of six days.

cyclenation.co.za/Gameplan Media

It will be a tough few days for Hoffmann however as he looks to give it his all at the SA National Track Championships as well as attempt to successfully defend his crown at the aQuellé Tour Durban, presented by Spur, which takes place on Sunday 29 April.

“These legs know how to take a beating,” chuckled Hoffman. “I have been on plenty of tours before and I think I have become a seasoned pro.”

“You can’t think too far ahead, you just have to concentrate on the race ahead of you and try not worry about the next day.”

“The SA track champs is a big priority for me and I want to be able to defend titles in the Omnium, Scratch, Madison and Points, so I will be going all out in Pietermaritzburg.”

Hoffmann will however have to see off strong challenges from the likes of Bernard Esterhuizen who has also been working hard in recent months.

Not being a national championship event the CSA KZN All Africa MTB Challenge will allow many of the country’s MTB community to get a taste for events such as enduro and the cross country eliminator however there is still sizeable prizemoney up for grabs with R25000 on offer split over the various events and age group winners.

The CSA KZN All Africa MTB Challenge, which along with the SA National BMX Championships and the SA National Track and Para Cycling Championships make up the CSA KZN All Africa Challenge, take place at Cascades MTB Park in Pietermaritzburg on Saturday 28 and Sunday 29 April. More info can be found at www.cyclingsa.com

Comments

There are no comments yet. Why not add yours below.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment