Events

DHI and Enduro Series displays competitive camaraderie

· By Press Office · 0 comments

The second round of the 2016 KZNMTB Provincial DHI and Enduro Series – presented by Greg Minnaar Cycles takes place at Giba Gorge MTB Park (near Pinetown) on Saturday 26 and Sunday 27 March. The first round of the season impressed those involved with the turn out of participants and level of racing in the younger age groups. The Vets also had many surprises up their sleeves, with newcomers and old timers taking to the hills once again.

Newcomer to the Downhill and Enduro disciplines, Craig Scott, has recently joined this daredevil community and slingshot his name straight towards the podium. “This will be my second year in racing Enduro. Last year I came second overall in the Vets class in Enduro after placing third, then second, then first,” he said.

ccs-62657-0-83709900-1457623982.jpgNewcomer to the DHI scene, Craig Scott, is loving every minute of the sport, and is ready to take on round two of the 2016 KZNMTB Provincial DHI and Enduro Series – presented by Greg Minnaar Cycles takes place at Giba Gorge MTB Park on Saturday 26 and Sunday 27 March. Photo credit: Paul Botma

Scott mentioned that he was a bit of a late starter, but used to ride BMX way back. “I used to watch quite a bit of the EWS (Enduro World Series) online and that’s what got me interested in the Enduro discipline,” he added.

Always keen for extreme sports and adventure, Scott felt that this discipline could not go untested: “I felt that I kept getting injured on a skateboard – why not try something new? What pulled me in I think was the combination of exercise, adventure, and of course, adrenaline, which I’m semi-addicted to.”

Scott felt that it was the unbelievable sense of camaraderie that optimised the essence of the sport of Enduro and DHI. “There are just good vibes around, and you’re surrounded by people who share the same love and passion for the sport and having a good time as well,” he concluded.

After a break from racing competitively, Vets rider Craig Seaward is now back on the Downhill racing scene and this time, it’s with his son. “I’ve been riding socially for about 30 years, but it was 15 years ago that I raced competitively. When my son started to take an interest in the sport, it pulled straight me back to the scene,” he said.

Seaward has a different approach to the discipline after his time off the competitive scene, and couldn’t ask for anything better than to share the love and passion for a sport with family. “In terms of goals and things like that, I feel like I’ve had my hectic racing days, and the goals would purely just be for my son. Of course I would like to push it a little, I am competitive to some extent. But for me now it’s all about being there on the weekends with my son and enjoy the riding. It’s just awesome to be at the top of the hill beside home,” he added.

When looking at Enduro and DHI, Seaward feels that, although the competitiveness at times is different, they are not too far apart from each other when it comes to the environment that surrounds them. “The sense of community, slight competitiveness and the social fun aspect is a huge part of the sport, especially when it comes to Enduro,” said Seaward.

Both Craigs will be taking part in the next round at Giba Gorge at the end of the month.

Entries are open and close on Wednesday 23 March 2016. (http://www.roag.co.za/eventinfo.aspx?EventID=1727). For any further details, please visit www.kznmtb.co.za.

For more information, contact Rebecca van der Linde info@kznmtb.co.za.

Comments

There are no comments yet. Why not add yours below.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment