Events

Dodd and Buziba Ready for Final BMX Grand National Rounds

· By Matt · 0 comments

Kyle Dodd and Godfrey Buziba are among South Africa’s top BMX competitors who are ready for the challenge that the 5th and 6th Legs of the BMX SA Grand National series will present, at Kempton Park in Gauteng on Saturday 6th and Sunday 7th October.

These two legs will mark the close of the local 2012 racing season for BMX riders.

Eighteen-year-old Dodd has had a sensational season with a victory in every heat at each of the previous four legs of the SA BMX Nationals, and is looking to extend his record in these final two legs of the year.

bmx1.jpg

Kyle Dodd (left) is feeling good and looking forward to the weekend’s racing for Legs 5 and 6 of the BMX SA Grand National series in Kempton Park, Gauteng on Saturday 6th and Sunday 7th October © Chris van Lennep/Gameplan Media

“There have been a few local race meetings since the previous Grand Nationals at Giba Gorge in July, and I raced last weekend in Kempton Park, on the same track that we will be racing on this weekend, and I won that race as well,” said the Glenanda resident.

When chatting about his current form and the Kempton Park BMX track, Dodd says he is ready. “The track builders have put in so much preparation for this event. This track has really big jumps and big hills, so we will be exerting ourselves all the time and need a fair amount of energy and stamina. I am feeling really good now and looking forward to the weekend.”

Elite competitor Godfrey Buziba, who is currently lying fourth in the Elite men championship, is pleased with how his season has played out so far.

“I’ve done well at the Grand Nationals this year. I had a little injury about four weeks ago, but I have been working with a physiotherapist and I am feeling strong now,” said the Springs local.

bmx2.jpg

Godfrey Buziba (behind Miguel Carvalho) finds the Kempton Park BMX track challenging but has recovered well from an injury ahead of Legs 5 and 6 of the BMX SA Grand National series in Kempton Park, Gauteng on Saturday 6th and Sunday 7th October © Chris van Lennep/Gameplan Media

Buziba has also been competing in a couple of Gauteng provincial events in between the main national races and has achieved great results with a podium position in each race.

“The Kempton Park track is a tough one – it requires a lot of energy and requires extra power to get over the big jumps, but I am looking forward to the race,” continued the 23-year-old.

With top-class racing expected on the day across the age categories, competitors will have to bring their A-game and spectators will be guaranteed an enthralling weekend of competition.

Spectators are welcome and entry is free. If you are in the Kempton Park area, head to the BMX track and watch some of the country’s best performers in action.

Comments

There are no comments yet. Why not add yours below.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment