Events

Dodd starts BMX national season in fine form

· By Matt · 0 comments

Kyle Dodd has returned from the United States and claimed the first and second Legs of the Cycling SA BMX Grand National series.

Racing took place over Easter weekend in Germiston. The BMX commission implemented a new racing format, which was met with great satisfaction from the riders and made for exciting racing over the course of the weekend.

Elites Kane Herbert (111) and Kyle Dodd (216) line up for a corner as they tussle for top points at the BMX Grand Nationals Legs 1 and 2 held in Germiston over Easter weekend © Jackie Bossert O’Shea

The 17-24 and elite classes were grouped together, and the BMX competitors with the best positions from each of the three qualifying heats split into the A, B and C Mains. Higher points were earned in the A main compared to the B and C respectively, with a field of 25 riders vying for the top spot.

Dodd’s recent stint in the U.S. was a good learning curve for the up-and-coming star. “It was a really good trip,” said Dodd. “I spent 2 months in the ’States but only raced in 2 big races. I am learning a lot in my new category (elite). I always knew the class would be tough and I can see now how fast I have to be.”

Themba Hlophe (939) gets the edge on Jaden Laubscher (147) in the elite class during the BMX Grand Nationals Legs 1 and 2 held in Germiston over Easter weekend © Jackie Bossert O’Shea

Local competition is always a worry when racing at home though. “I have high expectations since returning from the U.S trip,” continues Dodd. “It is always nice to race at home, and the Grand Nationals in Germiston was awesome and it was the most amazing weekend. The riders are training hard, and the track was simply awesome and suited me 100%.”

Dodd won five out of six races on both days, and won all of his mains. There were three normal qualifiers and three mains raced on each day. “It was a good solid weekend of racing and I had good starts with good power.”

Dodd plans to return to the U.S in September where he will participate in the Disney Classic and the Grands, which sees two-to-three thousand participants and is one of the biggest events held there each year.

The next event on the national BMX calendar is the third and fourth legs of the Grand Nationals, which will be held in KwaZulu-Natal on 29 and 30 June 2013.

Summary of Results – BMX SA Grand Nationals Legs 1&2

1. Kyle DODD – Alrode BMX Club

2. Kane HERBERT – Alrode BMX Club

3. Jaden LAUBSCHER – Kempton Park BMX Club

4. Alex LIMBERG – Alrode BMX Club

5. Christopher AUSTIN – Giba Cycling Club

6. Alex GONCALVES – Giba Cycling Club

7. Lunga MKHIZE – Giba Cycling Club

8. Jonathan VAN DER WESTHUIZEN – Kempton Park BMX Club

9. Dylan WHITTLE – Kempton Park BMX Club

10. Alex WHITEHEAD – Kempton Park BMX Club

Comments

There are no comments yet. Why not add yours below.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment