Events

Dr Evil Classic is back, bigger and badder than before

· By Press Office · 7 comments

Entries are open for the Pennypinchers Dr Evil Classic, which will take place from 15-17 September 2016. Now in its fifth year, the race will offer a number of new innovations, chief of which is having a different start/finish village for each of the three days.

“We have decided to change the format of the event to start and finish at 3 separate venues,” explained master route designer Leon Evans.

ccs-62657-0-53580300-1454918241.jpg

According to Evans, this decision was taken in order to give the riders the best experience of what the Garden Route has to offer. The routes will be made up of a combination of singletrack, scenic district roads and forest trails. The event prides itself in the fact that nowhere in the country can you ride indigenous forests as is possible on the Garden Route.

“Day One is mainly an indigenous forest/plantation ride with some amazing scenery on the mountain side of the N2,” said Evans. “Day Two is a coastal route taking in the best tracks in Harkerville and offering spectacular ocean views on the south side of the N2. Day Three will be held at the award winning Kay and Monty Vineyards that boasts a new wine tasting and function venue, which has direct access to the Keurbooms pine plantations,” he said.

Days One and Two will each be around 80 kilometres in length, with Day Three less than 50km in order for riders also doing the Lions Karoo to Coast to save their legs. Dr Evil will be cutting the route on this pristine piece of property in the near future and maps and profiles will follow.

Also new to the event this year, is a corporate category. “We really just want to see some friendly competition amongst various business owners, both locally and nationally,” said Zandile Meneses who owns the Dr Evil Classic with Leon Evans. “We would like to encourage business men and women to get their teams of two riders together and enter, then issue the challenge to other businesses to enter a team. What better way to show up your biggest rivals in the business arena than through an old fashioned show of athleticism!

ccs-62657-0-78533800-1454918241.jpg

The Corporate option is for two riders only i.e. – a team entry and not a solo entry.

Entries for the event are now open. The event sold out in 2014 and 2015 and there will only be space for 350 riders in 2016.

The 2016 route maps, profiles and detailed information will be available at drevilclassic.com soon. The Pennypinchers Lions Karoo to Coast Mountain Bike Challenge is a separate event that takes place on Sunday 18th September 2016.

Riders who enter the Dr Evil Classic will receive a preferential start in the Pennypinchers Lions Karoo to Coast Mountain Bike Challenge. Riders who enter the Lions Karoo to Coast and wish to ride the Dr Evil Classic will receive a R200 discount on their Dr Evil entry.

Enter now and win:

Enter before the 31st of March 2016 and you could stand a chance to win three nights for a max of 10 people at the fantastic luxury Rare Earth Country Estate located at the Kay and Monty Vineyards. This accommodation is valued at R34 000 and you will also receive a R2 500 voucher from Cape Union Mart – the event merchandise partner. There are also two solo or one team entry for Dr Evil up for grabs. Website: http://drevilclassic.com/

Related posts

Comments

Baaisikilist

Feb 8, 2016, 8:13 AM

By "Bigger and Badder", I hope they attract the riders that lost interest in the dumbed down GR300 (or 220 as it has become). Funds permitting, this and K2C look like a great plan for my final quarter's race calendar.

Skubarra

Feb 8, 2016, 8:51 AM

By "Bigger and Badder", I hope they attract the riders that lost interest in the dumbed down GR300 (or 220 as it has become). Funds permitting, this and K2C look like a great plan for my final quarter's race calendar.

Interesting comment... Really liked the GR200, was planning to do the GR300 one day.

I'm generally not fit enough in September to do the K2C with 3 day stage race in the legs so the Dr Evil not that appealing to me.

Meezo

Feb 8, 2016, 8:53 AM

still bumbed by the pansie GR300, loved this race! it was proper!

Patchelicious

Feb 9, 2016, 4:54 AM

Pity that Kevin is used as the ambassador for this race.

Skubarra

Feb 9, 2016, 6:31 AM

Pity that Kevin is used as the ambassador for this race.

Yep, and if you want to do the Knysna Cycle Tour in July there is also a nice training program by him on the website

fafa1505

Feb 9, 2016, 2:14 PM

still bumbed by the pansie GR300, loved this race! it was proper!

Didn't you and Tariq come 4th in this race?

Meezo

Feb 9, 2016, 2:18 PM

Didn't you and Tariq come 4th in this race?

:ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:  NO!

that was RE:CM 200

Add a comment

You must log in to comment