Events

Du Toit eager to take on first XCO Provincial

· By Press Office · 0 comments

The opening round of the 2016 KZNMTB XCO Provincial is almost upon us, and the province will get to see some of it’s greatest mountain bike names battle it out on some of the best courses KwaZulu-Natal has to offer. The first round takes place in the forests of Hilton at Hilton Christian Fellowship (opposite Grace College on the Hilton College Road) on Saturday 6 February 2016.

2015 SA Junior Women’s XCO National Champion, Frankie du Toit, who has won the hearts of many by her strong determination and huge smile, is ready to take on the first provincial of the season.

ccs-62657-0-39600900-1454004482.jpg2015 SA Junior Women’s XCO National Champion, Frankie du Toit, is ready to take on the first of the season at the opening round of the 2016 KZNMTB XCO Provincial in the forests of Hilton on Saturday 6 February Photo credit: Gavin Ryan/Quick Pix

Du Toit, who has claimed top honours in road and mountain bike disciplines, recently took part in the KZN Road and Time Trial Championships, as well as the Drak Descent (a two-day mountain bike stage race in the Drakensberg). “For both races I was feeling strong and enjoying my new bikes (a LIV Envie advanced road bike and a LIV Lust advanced MTB) especially for the Drak Descent. I got to test my mountain bike out on all the single track in the race and find a flow and rhythm on it ahead of this weekend’s National XCO Cup and next weekend’s Provincial XCO,” she said.

The young 18-year-old kicked of the 2016 season with her new team, Kargo Pro MTB Team, and mentioned that her experience with them so far has been amazing. “I’ve received great support and am enjoying being in a co-ed team for the first time with some top-end elite men, which is a great opportunity to learn from the best in SA,” du Toit added.

Speaking about her goals for 2016, Du Toit said: “This year is an Olympic year and there is like a 1% chance that I could go, but it’s a 1% chance and how often does that come around? So I’m going all out for that and just trying to become a major contender in the National XCO races.”

The 2015 SA Junior XCO National Champ is looking forward to the venue in Hilton. “Although Cascades is a really nice venue to race, it’s great to have the Provincials at a new venue – and I think that Hilton will be a great place to have it with some amazing flowing trails. It’s going to be a nice race for everyone, from the inexperienced to the experienced rider. After this weekend’s National, I’ll be in a cross-country mind-set and will be able to hit the Provincial hard!”

The first XCO round takes place in the singletrack forests at Hilton Christian Fellowship (opposite Grace College on the Hilton College Road) on Saturday 6 February 2016.

Entries are open and close at midnight on Wednesday 3 February 2016. (http://www.roag.co.za/eventinfo.aspx?EventID=1731).

For more information, contact Rebecca van der Linde info@kznmtb.co.za.

Comments

There are no comments yet. Why not add yours below.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment