Events

Emotional third Absa Cape Epic title for Kleinhans and Langvad

· By Press Office · 6 comments

After an intriguing week’s racing in the Sasol Women’s category, Ariane Kleinhans and Annika Langvad are now three-time Absa Cape Epic champions; the Swiss-Danish duo joining Karl Platt (who earlier on Sunday won his fifth title) and Stefan Sahm as three-time champion pairings.

ccs-62657-0-05337300-1458485573.jpgTeam Spur Specialized’s Ariane Kleinhans and Annika Langvad on their way to overall victory in the ladies category during the final stage (stage 7) of the 2016 Absa Cape Epic Mountain Bike stage race from Boschendal in Stellenbosch to Meerendal Wine Estate in Durbanville, South Africa on the 20th March 2016. Photo by Ewald Sadie/Cape Epic/SPORTZPICS

As was the case throughout the “eight days of courage”, Swiss Kleinhans and Dane Langvad didn’t have it their own way during Sunday’s Grand Finale, the 86km from Stellenbosch to Meerendal Wine Estate. The Spur-Specialized pair led going into the final two kilometres before the Sport for Good pairing of German Sabine Spitz and Ukranian Yana Belomoina overtook them and ecstatically crossed the finish line first in 3:53.31,4 – their third straight stage victory.

Langvad acknowledged that this has been a tough week for the pairing, after initially facing a strong challenge from Ascendis Health’s Robyn de Groot of South Africa and Swede Jennie Stenehag. Then Spitz and Belomoina found their legs in the closing stages but Spur-Specialized’s overall winning margin of 14.56 highlighted their superiority over the eight days.

“It was a difficult stage after a tough week of racing, but we are happy with our overall win and super happy with our third Epic title,” said the Dane. “Winning the Epic is a big goal. To celebrate I’m going to drink some of the great South African wine that I didn’t get to drink this week.”

ccs-62657-0-61799900-1458485704.jpgAnnika Langvad and Ariane Kleinhans of Spur-Specialized win Overall Womens Jersey of the 2016 Absa Cape Epic during the final stage (stage 7) of the 2016 Absa Cape Epic Mountain Bike stage race from Boschendal in Stellenbosch to Meerendal Wine Estate in Durbanville, South Africa on the 20th March 2016. Photo by Shaun Roy/Cape Epic/SPORTZPICS

Kleinhans, who came into the Absa Cape Epic unsure about her form once again had to dig deep to keep pace with her partner. As a result, she is looking forward to home comforts after celebrating her fifth Absa Cape Epic title in a row across the Mixed and Women’s categories.

“This stage was a bit messy – we had a lot of men overtaking us today, but in general the route over the Epic was really good for the women, because we didn’t get bunched with the men. To celebrate I’m going to sleep, eat and recover. It’s been super tough.”

Grand Finale winners Spitz and Belomoina, who have got stronger and stronger through the eight days, cranked up the pace to make the decisive move on Meerendal’s famous Stairway to Heaven.

ccs-62657-0-03001200-1458485824.jpgTeam Sport for Good’s Sabine Spitz and Yana Belomoina on their way to stage victory during the final stage (stage 7) of the 2016 Absa Cape Epic Mountain Bike stage race from Boschendal in Stellenbosch to Meerendal Wine Estate in Durbanville, South Africa on the 20th March 2016. Photo by Ewald Sadie/Cape Epic/SPORTZPICS

“On the final climb Yana was riding like crazy,” said a delighted Spitz. “She overtook a men’s team and I was sitting behind them thinking ‘oh my gosh’, then I saw her overtake the girls and I realised I had to use my last grain of power to get to her. To win three stages in a race is amazing. I’m really pleased I took the decision to come ride the Cape Epic.”

Belomoina, who at 23 is Spitz’s junior by 21 years, was happy that her cross-country skills could be the decisive factor on the day.

“The finish was very good, it was like a lap of cross-country so I had to go fast. I saw a small chance so I went for it and luckily Sabine could catch up. I’m very happy to win three stages in a row.”

Topeak Ergon rounded off the Sasol Women’s category podium – with another third place finish at Meerendal.

Two-time winner Sally Bigham of England lamented the fact that her upset stomach affected their challenge once the racing hotted up on Sunday, leaving her teammate, Adel Morath, to sum up their day.

ccs-62657-0-82133900-1458485932.jpgSally Bigham Topeak Ergon leads overall winners Annika Langvad & Ariane Kleinhans of Spur-Specialized and stage winners Sabine Spitz & Yana Belomoina of Sport for Good during the final stage (stage 7) of the 2016 Absa Cape Epic Mountain Bike stage race from Boschendal in Stellenbosch to Meerendal Wine Estate in Durbanville, South Africa on the 20th March 2016. Photo by Gary Perkin/Cape Epic/SPORTZPICS

“Today was a tactical race, which I like,” said Morath, now a first-time Absa Cape Epic finisher. “When the men caught up with us we were in a big group and the pace was super fast but we couldn’t keep up near the end. The new start for the women has really been great for the women’s race but in the end Annika and Ariane were too strong. They have the experience together, they train here and knew the stages which was an advantage for them. I’m happy for them, they did the best.”

Meanwhile, the champagne-soaked Spur-Specialized pair couldn’t be drawn on whether they would be back next year to defend their crown. “First we need a break,” said Langvad.

ccs-62657-0-69729000-1458486012.jpgThe overall womens podium of [L] Sabine Spitz and Yana Belomoina of Team Sport for Good, [C] Annika Langvad and Ariane Kleinhans of Team Spur Specialized and [R] Sally Bingham and Adel Morath of Team Topeak Ergon during the final stage (stage 7) of the 2016 Absa Cape Epic Mountain Bike stage race from Boschendal in Stellenbosch to Meerendal Wine Estate in Durbanville, South Africa on the 20th March 2016. Photo by Nick Muzik/Cape Epic/SPORTZPICS

2016 Stage 7 Women

Stage Results

1. Sport for Good 54-2 Yana Belomoina (Ukraine) 54-1 Sabine Spitz (Germany) 3:53.31,4
2. Spur-Specialized 50-1 Annika Langvad (Denmark) 50-2 Ariane Kleinhans (Switzerland) 3:54.18,5 +47,1
3. Topeak Ergon 53-1 Sally Bigham (England) 53-2 Adel Morath (Germany) 3:55.22,2 +1.50,8

Overall Results

1. Spur-Specialized 50-1 Annika Langvad (Denmark) 50-2 Ariane Kleinhans (Switzerland) 33:30.48,0
2. Sport for Good 54-2 Yana Belomoina (Ukraine) 54-1 Sabine Spitz (Germany) 33:45.44,5 +14.56,5
3. Topeak Ergon 53-1 Sally Bigham (England) 53-2 Adel Morath (Germany) 33:51.30,3 +20.42,3
4. Meerendal Wheeler 52-1 Esther Suss (Switzerland) 52-2 Catherine Williamson (England) 35:02.03,9 +1:31.15,9
5. Galileo Risk 55-1 Theresa Ralph (South Africa) 55-2 Yolandi du Toit (South Africa) 36:38.01,9 +3:07.13,9
6. Meerendal Rocky EBE 56-1 Hielke Elferink (Netherlands) 56-2 Elisabeth Brandau (Germany) 36:45.02,1 +3:14.14,1
7. Energade Racing 202-1 Dalene van der Leek (South Africa) 202-2 Sharon Laws (England) 36:46.33,2 +3:15.45,2
8. Asrin Cycling 71-1 Janka Keseg Stevkova (Slovakia) 71-2 Sandra Santanyes Murillo (Spain) 37:12.07,6 +3:41.19,6
9. Liv – MTB Pro 59-1 Muriel Bouhet (France) 59-2 Merce Pacios Pujado (Spain) 40:56.05,4 +7:25.17,4
10. Speed Structures 68-1 Marleen Lourens (South Africa) 68-2 Nicky Giliomee (South Africa) 43:07.26,6 +9:36.38,6

Related posts

Comments

Shebeen

Mar 20, 2016, 6:58 PM

Huge difference in depth in the men's and ladies' field. 10th place is just over an hour back in the men's, here it's over 9. They need to find a way to get the top female xco riders here (nino, fumic,hermida, coolharvey, fluckigers et al all done it, not many xco ladies in their prime come compete).

Nick

Mar 20, 2016, 7:16 PM

Agreed but, despite the lack of depth, I far enjoyed the women's race over the other categories this year.

Good racing will hopefully attract more pros to flex their muscle.

Gen

Mar 20, 2016, 7:18 PM

I think the time is right for Marianne Vos to come and ride it.????

PS she can team up with Prevaud

PPS or with Annika

Mntboy

Mar 20, 2016, 7:46 PM

I think the time is right for Marianne Vos to come and ride it.????

PS she can team up with Prevaud

PPS or with Annika

I remember reading an article on CN where the inference was that Marianne and Pauline don't get along all that well. That aside I think they'd wind up giving the top pairings a hard time of it and win a stage or two.
milky4130

Mar 20, 2016, 8:03 PM

Gun Rita would've been here if 2016 was not an Olympic year, I hope she & et al will be back in 2017

Andrew Steer

Mar 22, 2016, 7:47 AM

Far more interesting racing this year, could maybe even hold the ladies back one more batch to minimize any influence from the mens' bunches...
Next year without the Olympics I am sure we will see a far stronger field and probably a few more interesting teams. Hats off to organizers for listening!

Add a comment

You must log in to comment