Events

Entries are open for 2016 Mangaung Cycle Tour

· By Press Office · 41 comments

Entries have opened for Bloemfontein’s biggest funride, the PPA Mangaung Cycle Tour. As in the past, this iconic Free State event will be a Premier Seeding Series event for the 2017 Cape Town Cycle Tour. The 2016 PPA Mangaung Cycle Tour takes place in Bloemfontein on Sunday 30 October.

ccs-62657-0-15295300-1472126071.jpg

“The event should serve as a catalyst to grow cycling in the province,” said PPA CEO Robert Vogel. “As in the past, any profits from the event will be ploughed back into projects to develop cycling in the Free State.” Vogel also confirmed that some prize money will be offered this year.

In 2014, the Pedal Power Association, a public benefit organisation committed to promote cycling and the interests of cyclists, heeded a desperate call from local cyclists for assistance after the OFM Classic was cancelled. “PPA took the decision to underwrite any potential shortfall in funding for the event for three years,” Vogel explained. “We did not want road cyclists to miss out on the opportunity of a local seeding series event.”

ccs-62657-0-94047700-1472126071.jpg
ccs-62657-0-58986100-1472126071.jpg

Participants can enter one of two distances, a 103 km route (which will be used as seeding for the 2017 Cape Town Cycle Tour), or a shorter 32 km route. Both routes incorporate new sections, with the start/finish moving to the Tempe Military Base. As in the past, the routes are primarily flat, with a few short climbs.

2016 will also boast a bigger Expo, which will be run in conjunction with registration on Friday 28 and Saturday 29 October.

Off-road enthusiasts and cyclists wishing to make a weekend of it are invited to enter the Mangaung MTB events on Saturday 29 October. Various distances are being finalised and more information will be available in the very near future.

ccs-62657-0-75341400-1472126070.jpg

Online entries will remain open until Friday 21 October 2016 at 16h00. Late entries will be available at registration on the Friday and Saturday prior to the event, at an additional R100 admin fee.

Follow this link to enter online http://www.cycleevents.co.za/road-events/ppa-mangaung-cycle-tour-2016/

For more information, please visit www.pedalpower.org.za.

Event details at a glance

Road event:

• Date: Sunday 30 October 2016
  • Start time: From 06h00
  • Venue: SA School of Armour, Van Blerck St, Bloemfontein
  • Entry fees: 103km (R260, PPA Member R220), 32km (R170, PPA Members R130)
  • Follow this link to enter online http://www.cycleevents.co.za/road-events/ppa-mangaung-cycle-tour-2016/
  • Late entries @ additional R100 admin fee at registration on the Friday and Saturday prior to the event.
  • No registration and no late entries on the day of the event.
  • Queries: (051) 436-0711 / 071 864 4768 or e-mail bloem@pedalpower.org.za

MTB event:

• Date: Saturday 29 October 2016
  • Start time: From 06h30
  • Venue: SA School of Armour, Van Blerck St, Bloemfontein
  • Entry fees: Long distance (R230, PPA members R200), medium distance (R180, PPA members R150), short distance (R130, R100 PPA members)
  • Online entries opening soon at www.cycleevents.co.za
  • Late entries @ additional R50 admin fee at registration on the Friday to the event.
  • No registration and no late entries on the day of the event.
  • Queries: (051) 436-0711 / 071 864 4768 or e-mail bloem@pedalpower.org.za

Related posts

Comments

JA-Q001

Aug 25, 2016, 12:33 PM

Sheesh I can pull an ugly face ????

pe3nguin

Aug 25, 2016, 12:35 PM

Any faces being pulled up that ramp are completely warranted.

[Edit]: Flashbacks to last year and the sounds of broken spokes.

HdB

Aug 25, 2016, 1:16 PM

Another year, another new route. Keeps us on our toes at least...

Based on this route map, the start/finish is in Reynecke avenue? I'll see if I have time to create the route on Endomondo, to test the distance.

Just glad the race is still on.

fanievb

Sep 27, 2016, 12:32 PM

anyone have any info on the routes (mtb and road)

I may be heading up to BFN that weekend and need to decide which bike is going with

HdB

Sep 27, 2016, 12:42 PM

I haven't seen any info on the MTB route(s) yet.

The road route is available here: http://www.cycleevents.co.za/road-events/ppa-mangaung-cycle-tour-2016/

I'm not clear on the bit between Walter Sisulu Rd and Benade Dr, the rest is either similar to last year or familiar if you've ever ridden in Bloem.

fanievb

Sep 27, 2016, 12:59 PM

I haven't seen any info on the MTB route(s) yet.

The road route is available here: http://www.cycleevents.co.za/road-events/ppa-mangaung-cycle-tour-2016/

I'm not clear on the bit between Walter Sisulu Rd and Benade Dr, the rest is either similar to last year or familiar if you've ever ridden in Bloem.

tx

looks like montgomery str?

https://goo.gl/maps/juktGf21QGD2 

Wil6

Sep 27, 2016, 1:01 PM

tx

looks like montgomery str?

https://goo.gl/maps/juktGf21QGD2 

Vat altwee! Mtb route is still being finalized, if it will be worth it....I don't know

Wil6

Sep 27, 2016, 1:01 PM

Another year, another new route. Keeps us on our toes at least...

Based on this route map, the start/finish is in Reynecke avenue? I'll see if I have time to create the route on Endomondo, to test the distance.

Just glad the race is still on.

Start/Finish will be in Tempe for both events

HdB

Sep 27, 2016, 1:06 PM

I've mailed them.

It is possible... Gardenia to Aalwyn, Montgomery underneath the bridge, and left and left again into Stals so we can cross the bridge.

After staring at the map for a few minutes, I realised I had completely misunderstood the start/finish as well. Seems like we enter/exit the Tempe grounds via Papa Brits street.

fanievb

Sep 27, 2016, 1:10 PM

Vat altwee! Mtb route is still being finalized, if it will be worth it....I don't know

lol, as ek net plek gehad het. Eks is nie lus vir 50km se plat sinkplaat pad nie so ek gaan maar vasbyt tot die roete bevestig word.

fanievb

Sep 27, 2016, 1:11 PM

I've mailed them.

It is possible... Gardenia to Aalwyn, Montgomery underneath the bridge, and left and left again into Stals so we can cross the bridge.

After staring at the map for a few minutes, I realised I had completely misunderstood the start/finish as well. Seems like we enter/exit the Tempe grounds via Papa Brits street.

also looks like the route goes via Ryno Kriel? quality is crap so can't really make it out

Wil6

Sep 27, 2016, 1:12 PM

lol, as ek net plek gehad het. Eks is nie lus vir 50km se plat sinkplaat pad nie so ek gaan maar vasbyt tot die roete bevestig word.

True that, to not have a route this close to the event...

HdB

Sep 27, 2016, 1:19 PM

also looks like the route goes via Ryno Kriel? quality is crap so can't really make it out

Agreed!

I think it is more likely that they'll use De Bruyn St there, instead of going off into Ryno Kriel.

Hopefully they reply with answers to my questions, or even better provide a GPX file.

Until then, this shouldn't be TOO far off: https://www.endomondo.com/routes/792849641

(disclaimer: no responsibility taken if this gets you lost ;) )

Edit: Whoops! Turned into a one-way lane at Van Schalkwyk st, fixed

HdB

Sep 27, 2016, 1:51 PM

I've mailed them.

I received a reply, we were correct regarding Montgomery into Stals.

She also attached a .kmz file, I've converted it to a gpx, should be attached

Mangaung Cycle Tour 106 km.gpx

JA-Q001

Sep 27, 2016, 2:56 PM

Laasjaar se mtb was nogals goed, mens het later vir die stukkies grondpad gehoop.

fanievb

Oct 3, 2016, 5:42 AM

I received a reply, we were correct regarding Montgomery into Stals.

She also attached a .kmz file, I've converted it to a gpx, should be attached

who did you email? I mailed the address on the website regarding the MTB route with no response.

HdB

Oct 3, 2016, 7:04 AM

who did you email? I mailed the address on the website regarding the MTB route with no response.

I sent the mail to this email: bloem@pedalpower.org.za

Jase619

Oct 3, 2016, 7:52 AM

Definitely amped for this! Will be nice to wake up at home and cycle to the start and back for once. . . :thumbup:

Have to get the Amashova out of the way first!!

fanievb

Oct 17, 2016, 6:35 AM

finally got feedback from PPA.

see you okes in BFN

Please find attached the 75 km route for the Mangaung MTB Tour.

The 55 km is the same route – Just cut out Tempe, a section of Seven Dames & a section of the Ponie Club.

post-38473-0-87442800-1476685961_thumb.jpg

Jase619

Oct 18, 2016, 4:52 PM

Are we not supposed to be paying the day licence fee for the road event? I didn't see any mention of it when I entered now. . .

fanievb

Oct 18, 2016, 4:59 PM

Are we not supposed to be paying the day licence fee for the road event? I didn't see any mention of it when I entered now. . .

AFAIK its a PPA event, which means no CSA license fee

Jase619

Oct 18, 2016, 6:45 PM

Ah, didn't know that thanks

HdB

Oct 26, 2016, 12:12 PM

I received my start time for Sunday's road race, AL starting at 6:15.

Nothing yet for the MTB ride, doing the 75km.

Anyone else doing the double?

Edit: MTB info also received, AL at 7:45.

Jase619

Oct 26, 2016, 4:56 PM

Any idea how many we going to be? Saw last year only about 500 finished the full race. . .

Add a comment

You must log in to comment