Events

Entries for exciting new Maluti Double90 Team Challenge open 9 March 2016

· By Press Office · 134 comments

Entries for the Maluti Double90 Team Challenge open this Wednesday, Wednesday 9 March 2016, at 13h00.

Twenty four years ago, the Pedal Power Association organised the “Double Century” over 200 km for the very first time. Over the years, the venue and route changed from time to time, but the concept of a 12-rider team time trial over roughly 200 km remained the same.

The event became more and more popular, with team entries in 2015 selling out in just 13 minutes.

ccs-62657-0-46434400-1457431721.jpg

Since 1993, the event has only ever been held in the Western Cape, with teams travelling from all corners of South Africa to participate.

That is, until 2016.

Several route and venue options were investigated, with the Eastern Free State town of Clarens emerging as the ideal host for the new event.

Located in the foothills of the Maluti Mountains and slotted between the Golden Gate National Park and the mountain kingdom of Lesotho, Clarens is known as the “Jewel of the Free State” and is the undisputed tourist magnet in this part of the country.

Clarens is roughly equidistant from Bloemfontein and Johannesburg (both some 3 hours normal travel time away), with Durban being 4 hours normal travel time away.

In 2016, only 120 teams will be accepted. As for the Coronation Double Century, teams can field up to 12 riders, with the time of the 6th rider counting as the team’s official time. Participants must be 18 or older.

Entries will cost R6500 per team and will be available online only. Entries will close as soon as the 120 available team spots have been filled or on 20 April, whichever comes first.

A tough endurance event, the Maluti Double90 is about team spirit and camaraderie, the aim being for the team to finish as a whole. It is not an easy ride and teams are encouraged to put in the training miles, taking into consideration the average altitude of roughly 1900m and elevation gain of over 2200m for the event.

EVENT INFO AT A GLANCE:

• Saturday 7 May 2016
  • 180 km
  • 120 teams
  • 12 riders per team (the time of the 6th rider will count as the team’s time)
  • R6 500 per team
  • Open, mixed and all-female teams
  • Elevation gain over the 180 km: 2220m
  • Steepest gradient is the ‘Mine Shaft’ at 22% (roughly at the 155km mark)
  • Entries open 9 March 2016 at 13h00

See the event website for more details and to enter: www.malutidouble90.co.za

For more information, email Liandri on bloem@pedalpower.org.za or phone Karin or Wendy on (021) 671-6340.

Related posts

Comments

Long Wheel Base

Mar 8, 2016, 10:45 AM

Will try get an entry tomorrow.

News flash entries postponed till next week. No one must attempt to try enter tomorrow........... Hope that makes it easier for me and my team to get an entry????

Frosty

Mar 8, 2016, 11:50 AM

Will try get an entry tomorrow.

News flash entries postponed till next week. No one must attempt to try enter tomorrow........... Hope that makes it easier for me and my team to get an entry????

Posting this certainly doesn't help your cause, does it?

Thomo

Mar 8, 2016, 12:50 PM

'Mine Shaft' @ 20% sounds interesting.

I wonder what the distance of the climb is.?

Long Wheel Base

Mar 8, 2016, 12:52 PM

And thats with 155km in the legs......
Frosty

Mar 8, 2016, 1:11 PM

And possibly lots of berg winds too in those first 155km

HdB

Mar 8, 2016, 1:12 PM

Its only about 300m or so, but its a bastard...

And it comes right on the heels of Lichens pass

Underachiever

Mar 8, 2016, 1:13 PM

Strava think it's more like 11%.  Couple of 100 metres

Frosty

Mar 9, 2016, 11:11 AM

Entry done, payment made!

Now to adjust my training plan with the target date 07-May. A few extra weeks in the hurt-box.

FlyingScot

Mar 9, 2016, 11:28 AM

Now to buy a bike.

Underachiever

Mar 9, 2016, 1:07 PM

Now to adjust my training plan with the target date 07-May. A few extra weeks in the hurt-box.

The more you hurt in training, the quicker the hurt will be over in the race :-)

Long Wheel Base

Mar 9, 2016, 1:47 PM

Now to buy a bike.

Booooom I'll be riding with Flying Scot at this race. Can't wait.

Who else is in?

Frosty

Mar 9, 2016, 2:00 PM

Booooom I'll be riding with Flying Scot at this race. Can't wait.

Who else is in?

Only IF he gets a bike
Long Wheel Base

Mar 9, 2016, 5:20 PM

Only IF he gets a bike

I'm sure he will. I just hope if he does change bike brands(hope he doesnt!) he doesn't go for something that will make him slower.
Long Wheel Base

Mar 10, 2016, 11:58 AM

Accommodation sorted.

Frosty

Mar 10, 2016, 2:06 PM

Accommodation sorted.

Ditto

Long Wheel Base

Mar 11, 2016, 7:04 AM

Ditto

Where you guys staying? I was looking at a nice little lodge(river lodge or something like that?) but when we enquired they said no kids and I'm bringing my wife and baby with. I've just booked at the protea. Same as a few of my team mates. Others are scattered nearby.
Frosty

Mar 11, 2016, 8:40 AM

Where you guys staying? I was looking at a nice little lodge(river lodge or something like that?) but when we enquired they said no kids and I'm bringing my wife and baby with. I've just booked at the protea. Same as a few of my team mates. Others are scattered nearby.

We've booked a lodge on the golf course, which allows kids (50% off for 3+ and free for <3).

Think it's called Guinea Fowl.

Mats

Mar 11, 2016, 8:48 AM

I would love to do this as I have never been to clarens-golden gate area, but my training buddies are all mountain bikers with the exception of the one who shall not be named who also rides on the road.

Spirog

Mar 11, 2016, 8:51 AM

Team SaleWine.co.za entered and accommodation sorted. Just need to design our shirts and get training!!

HdB

Mar 11, 2016, 9:33 AM

I would love to do this as I have never been to clarens-golden gate area, but my training buddies are all mountain bikers with the exception of the one who shall not be named who also rides on the road.

Definitely worth a trip, its a beautiful area. My wife and I love staying at the Glen Reenen rest camp in Golden Gate.

Would also love to do this ride, but unfortunately my riding buddies consist of me, myself and I 99% of the time.

Long Wheel Base

Mar 11, 2016, 10:41 AM

There is a mountain bike race there. Think it's part of the MTN series. Would probably get to see much more of the tar than on.
Frosty

Mar 12, 2016, 10:20 AM

Training ride #1 in the bag, a rude awakening for me - either a case of being less fit than I need to be, or it was a high intensity endurance ride.

Thankfully there is time [emoji39]

hayleyearth

Apr 3, 2016, 5:43 PM

So a fellow hubber and I pulled one of our crazy moves again (to go ride a crazy long distance by ourselves unsupported) and we went to go ride this route on Saturday. Yip, the full route, one go (well we stopped twice to fill up our bottles @103km and 154km).

THE WIND. JOH

From the 129km mark right into Clarens was head on, but between 133km and 154km was PURE madness. There was no 'recovery' zones because you had to work hard on the downs too reaching max of about 18km/h (on downs!).

Luckily for us two we don't rely on being drafted over these distances, because I am sure single file through there would not have helped at all with the wind just coming from front and left and right - kinda 'picking you up and moving you 0.5m sideways'. I think if the wind blows like that on race day it will be dangerous.

The route itself - accept for like 2 or 3 *decent* climbs I actually thought it wasn't too bad. We carried a speed of about 29km/h till the 126km mark (remember we were riding mostly next to each other in the very wide and pleasant shoulder from after Bethlehem till the start of the Golden Gate, relaxed pace). After 134km the thought started crossing our mind to throw in the towel MULTIPLE times (not that either of us will ever I think). 100m felt like 1 km.

Did I mention the wind? Lichens pass was not too bad. Somehow I think it was because that one section of mountain protected us from the wind which at that stage felt like heaven (accept if you did right bends for some reason), but Mynskag! WOW. I thought about getting off my bike and hiding behind a bush till someone comes to fetch me. I think I would have walked faster up there :blush: It was honestly very tough for me (I in general HATE hills, although I don't voice this on rides....hahaha...*Best riding partners don't moan on rides, right? They bring their sparkling personality with* ^_^)

The rest of the ride:

We started around 5:30 (45min later than out usual starts), but I was lazy. It was cold. Very cold. My fingers felt like they were frozen for the 1st 28km (all those dams around there doing their job at evaporative cooling I will say). We actually both said this morning how we had brain freeze for the 1st bit. This part also had no shoulder and we rode most in the dark. Road surface nice except for a few pot holes.

28km - 39km is up on the N5 into Bethlehem. The 1st part is new tar, but feels rough. Then the busy, uneven and potholes galore through town and then right onto the R714.

40km - 76km nice broad shoulder, quiet road. Tar is new so kinda rough too. No pot holes and FAR to your right you can see the mountains you have to go explore later :D Some long but gradual climbs.

76km - 126km some more nice shoulder and new tar, but it feels rough. Partner and I agreed that somehow it feels like you 'pedal harder' on that road surface. LONG but gradual climbs again - when you see some of them from a distance they seem like it is going to be a HUGE struggle, but somehow one just ease up them.

At 126km you turn right onto the R712 which take you back to Clarens. And our thought was after a gentle 29km/h till then "ag only 50km home, lets do this". Till we got to the 129km and it felt like we were going no where :lol:

To everyone that is racing/riding it...good luck! And enjoy. :thumbup:

Add a comment

You must log in to comment