Events

Esterhuizen and Schoeman clinch Medihelp Stellenbosch Cycle Tour victory

· By Press Office · 3 comments

Team Giant’s Bernard Esterhuizen took the win at the Medihelp Stellenbosch Cycle Tour this morning in idyllic racing conditions, finishing the 97km route in 02:21:11, pipping Brandon Christians (Alpha Body Works) and Graeme Ockhuis (Yorkshire) to the post, who finished in second and third respectively.

ccs-62657-0-06932100-1480861076.jpegBernard Esterhuizen and Anriëtte Schoeman. Photo credit: Sam Clark.

Defending Champ, Anriëtte Schoeman (Team Africa Silks Bestmed) claimed the victory in the ladies race in a time of 02:32:15. Second and third were Celeste Renaud (UCT Private Client Holdings) and Carmen Buchacher (Velocity Sports Lab) respectively.

2012 Olympian on the track and 2010 Junior World Track Champ, Esterhuizen said the goal was always to come and win with a full lead out, but the final few kilometres didn’t exactly go according to plan. “My teammates did a great job of getting me to the front but then in the final run-in I lost them, and had to fend for myself, so with 200 metres to go I started my sprint and was very happy to take the win.”

It was Schoeman’s third win at this event and she was suitably thrilled with her victory. “It was a great race in perfect conditions. It’s always stressful when you know it’s going to be a bunch sprint but I managed to stay out of trouble and pull it off, so I was really happy!”

As the final premier seeding event for the 2017 Cape Town Cycle Tour, over five thousand cyclists lined up to participate in the second biggest road race in the Western Cape.

ccs-62657-0-57150800-1480861070.jpegAnriëtte Schoeman. Photo credit: Sam Clark.

The organisers of the Medihelp Stellenbosch Cycle Tour are excited to have Medihelp Medical Scheme as the new Naming Rights sponsor for this popular event. Medihelp Medical Scheme is one of the top open medical schemes in South Africa, covering more than 198 000 lives. Director of Marketing, Media and Sponsorship for the Cape Town Cycle Tour Trust, organisers of the Medihelp Stellenbosch Cycle Tour, David Bellairs, believes there is great synergy between the philosophies of Medihelp and the Stellenbosch Cycle Tour. “They constantly measure their clients’ experiences and use the results of those measurements to get better insight into how to better meet expectations,” he said. “We at the CTCTT are constantly striving to improve our events, based on rider feedback.”

Heyn van Rooyen, Medihelp Medical Scheme’s Principal Officer says, “It’s a privilege to be associated with an event like this that promotes a healthy lifestyle, and we’re very happy to continue our support for the 2017 event, so we look forward to seeing all cyclists back here next year!”

97km Race Results

Elite Men 1st: Bernard Esterhuizen (Team Giant) (02:21:11)
Elite Men 2nd: Brandon Christians (Alpha Body Works) (02:21:11)
Elite Men 3rd: Graeme Ockhuis (Yorkshire) (02:21:11)

Elite Ladies 1st: Anriëtte Schoeman (Team Africa Skills Bestmed) (02:32:15)
Elite Ladies 2nd: Celeste Renaud (UCT Private Client Holdings) (02:32:15)
Elite Ladies 3rd: Carmen Buchacher (Team Velocity Sports Lab) (02:32:15)

Comments

dev null

Dec 4, 2016, 6:42 PM

Something wrong here:

As the final premier seeding event for the 2017 Cape Town Cycle Tour, over five thousand cyclists lined up to participate in the second biggest road race in the Western Cape.

The results show only 4111 riders finished. I somehow doubt that there were about 900 non-finishers.

VolkAdik

Dec 5, 2016, 7:06 AM

Quite a few entered and did not even make it to the start line as well, I for one have 3 friends who bailed on the day

GLuvsMtb

Dec 5, 2016, 7:08 AM

Something wrong here:

The results show only 4111 riders finished. I somehow doubt that there were about 900 non-finishers.

Or 900 odd who did not bother to put their timing chips on. Quite normal really, particularly if you are only out on a joy ride with your better half / friends for the day opposed to "racing" it.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment