Events

Fastest brother in Africa Gugu Zulu to take on the Absa Cape Epic

· By Matt · 0 comments

Born in Soweto, Johannesburg, Gugu Zulu was initiated into motorsport through a development programme with the Isondo Racing Academy. Zulu is now racing professionally with South Africa’s BP Volkswagen Rally team andhas a list of podium placements and wins to boast from his 11 year racing career – hence the reason he is known as ‘the fastest brother in Africa’. “But that’s with four wheels and an engine! – now that I will be on pedal power during this year’s Absa Cape Epic, we will have to come up with another name more fitting,” Zulu laughs.

His other career achievements include being the presenter of the motorsport show on SuperSport, being an ambassador for the VW AMAROK, and participating in the Top Gear show at Kyalami as the opening act in a BP VW Rally car in 2011.

Zulu currently resides in Bryanston, Johannesburg, and freelances as a marketing consultant and motivational speaker. He also plans and manages the annual Loxion Motorshow motoring exhibition.

The adventurous racer fills his spare time with anything that requires a good adrenalin rush! Zip-lining, go-karting, quad biking, white water rafting, and even skydiving are the order of the day. Zulu has been cycling and mountain biking for just over five years and has competed in the Cape Argus and Momentum 94.7 Cycle Tours numerous times.

This will be Zulu’s first attempt at the Absa Cape Epic. He will be riding on behalf of the JAG Foundation and the JAG Riders Programme, which focuses on cycling as a means to empower the youth of disadvantaged communities in the Western Cape. The programme provides young riders the opportunity to cycle at a BMX track in Bonteheuwel (Western Cape) and the older children develop their skills on mountain bikes and participate in a number of cycling events with the help of trained coaches.

“It’s an honour and privilege to be part of Team Absa,” he says of joining the team. “I am so excited for the opportunity to contribute positively to the Western Cape community and to showcase that, in life anything is possible with hard work and determination. My strategy to be mentally prepared is to focus on the goal at hand, and that is to complete each stage day by day, all in the interest of making a difference in a child’s life through raising ‘mooola’ for the JAG Foundation.”

“If you train hard, prepare properly and respect the event, you will be able to finish successfully. I am most looking forward to crossing the finish line on the final day!” Zulu concludes.

Comments

There are no comments yet. Why not add yours below.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment